Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > ftp transfer speed

ftp transfer speed
ivi
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2003, 12:55 AM

Ok, this is really wierd. I tryed to upload a large (over 200mb) file from win box to macosx. I used a proftp windows client. The computers wired via switch. On proftp I was lucky if I could get connection speed over 70 kb/s. I thought it was mac, I checked everything I could and still nothing. Spent over half an hour trying to figure out whats wrong just out of interest. Then I opened console in windows and uploaded file using built in win2k client. The uploading took under 27 seconds at 8537.84 Kbytes/sec. Seems like ProFtp bug, any other explanations?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2003, 12:07 PM

A bug? Maybe, but probably not. ProFTP is full of options and switches, and it's sometimes hard to keep track of what's set where, so I'd say it's more like a setting problem.

If you have your computers connected by a switch, why didn't you just share the Mac's hard drive to the PC and transfer the file that way?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ivi  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2003, 02:49 PM

I just used to do all the transfer with ftp, ftp is designed for it at the end of the day. I tryed it again today, but had laptop wireless connected, proftp gave me about 35/40 kb/s, and dos ftp gave me 488.82 kb/s. so I don't know, if there is a switch somewhere in proftp to force slow connection then this is not the most amazing feature.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2003, 03:51 PM

I've never been too big on third party software that does something that comes native with my operating system, so I've used the command line ftp function more than anything else. I also use my browser (IE, of course-it's cheap and it works) to ftp stuff, and it works fine. I haven't found any program for a PC that handles ftp substantially better than a choice of either my browser for multiple files with complex selections, or a batch file runningftp commands. That said, I guess I'm a little biased against ProFTP...

Anyway, if it doesn't do what you want, I'd dump it and use something else that's faster.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules