Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anyone used a parallel to USB cable for a printer?

Anyone used a parallel to USB cable for a printer?
thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 09:17 PM

Hi guys,

Just bought an iMac off eBay for a friend. Problem is, they bought a printer a few months back for their old PC, which is only parallel. It's a quite new printer (Epson Stylus something), but it comes with a USB model and a Parallel model, thus, their model has no USB.

Does anyone have any experience with Parallel to USB cables? I know they seem to work pretty much flawlessly on PCs, but how about Macs? Would the Mac just think its a USB printer?

Anyone who has ever used a parallel printer with a Mac, I want to hear from you!! Thanks!!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 11:11 PM

For the cost of the adapters themselves and you can get a new USB Canon printer.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 12:24 AM

I agree, if it were me, I would buy a new printer. Then again, I wouldn't have bought a printer 3 months ago with only a parallel port.

Anyway, the printer cost $130 - and a USB-Parallel adaptor is $35, so it is still a worthwhile investment if it works.

Problem is, everywhere around here doesn't regularly stock them, and if they order it in specially, they won't let me take it back. Order online, and no refund unless there is something wrong with the unit.

Just hoping someone out there might have used one before...

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:

Just hoping someone out there might have used one before...
I know someone who used it in OS9 and it was a nightmare. It would stop working all the time and we had to reinstall things from scratch.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 06:07 AM

I use an old HP laserjet (5M?) with one of those things - it works - but the set-up is a bit fiddly - and the cable has to be plugged in to the mac and printer at boot to work properly (don't ask me why)

There is a good hint on osxhints about this.

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 06:54 PM

Cheers guys - so the general consensus seems to be that they 'sort of work', and if you're lucky, they do work. I will find the cheapest one possible and get her to buy that, hope it works!

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 10:13 PM

One more thought, I got a converter-- ended up with pages of gibberish out of my printer. Not sure why, but ended up hooking it up to my router instead and printed using Ghostscript wirelessly. Worked well since then.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2004, 12:41 PM

Well, they work, mostly. Though, I have to say the gimpprint drivers are a bit of a hit-and-miss. I use one of those adapters at home with a LJ 1100, on a graphite iMac running 10.3.5 (Sarra's computer) and the print quality is quite good and it only gaffs every once in a while. Recycling the power on the printer fixes it though.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 01:08 AM

Cheers guys - I went for the adaptor, and it nearly worked, but never printed! It automatically found some drivers for the printer, but refused to print with a connection error. Tried drivers from the net, gimp, no go. They all saw the printer okay to install, but reported communication errors when printing.

So I guess we know no more than before - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules