Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Skype on its way to OSX!

Skype on its way to OSX! (Page 2)
Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Aug 13, 2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by abigdork:
Hey,
Just checking the board. I guess there is no new information. If any body wants to talk, my iChat SN is mygirlrocks26 and my skype (for those of you who have betas and peecees) is abigdork.
hey man, you asked us to email you, so sit back and relax. We'll be sure to email the second any news breaks.

hahahahahahahah!!!!

You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

Pretzel
Aug 14, 2004, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by Troll:

Any other beta testers out there? [/B]
So how did you get the Skype Beta client and what revision are you using to get that functionality?

- be stirred but never shaken -

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by Pretzel:
So how did you get the Skype Beta client and what revision are you using to get that functionality?
I know the Skype founders so I got it through the official channels. There's a closed group of beta testers although I think that if you want to be a tester, you can ask via the Skype forums. I'm using the latest revision

There's some information in the public domain if you want to know more.

chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2004, 07:39 AM

beta has escaped, I found it at <pirated_software_link_here>

Pretty cool, in theory, but I'm having real trouble tracking down a mic for my G5. Any suggestions?
( Last edited by mindwaves; Aug 25, 2004 at 03:49 PM. )

deadrx7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 10:10 PM

Hello all,

I used Skype a few months ago when it was relatively new, and at the time it seems I was the only one amongst the people I know that knew it existed. Since then Skype is getting alot more publicity and alot more people are using it. I recently found out that you can buy credit w/ Skype, and place calls to standard POTS lines (normal phone #'s) at a little under .2 cents a minute (they call it SkypeOut ... http://www.skype.com/skypeout.html). Not bad for an IM program. Uses very little bandwidth too so you don't need an extremely fast connection.

I'm also really interested in seeing a version of Skype for Mac OS X. If Apple was smart they would port i-Chat to a VoIP gateway similar to how Skype is doing and start playing the VoIP telco role. i-Chat also needs to exist on other platforms for it to be widely accepted. There needs to be versions for Win32 / PPC / Linux and any other OS that people express interest in. i-Tunes for Win32 is out there and is doing good .. why not i-Chat too?

-deadrx7

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2004, 02:53 PM

any news on this software?

Mobility
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2004, 06:44 PM

well l am using it just to say ( the beta anyway ) l know that tomorrow there is another beta update for it so l am looking forward to that

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 08:59 AM

is it going to be public beta anytime soon?

Lacke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2004, 09:38 AM

I managed to get the 0.7.0.9 beta of Skype, but haven't tried it out yet. But it seems to be closer to a final 1.0.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 12:25 AM

well? macminute says the beta is out, but I can't find it on the skype site.

zilmer
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 05:41 AM

Skype for Mac OSX is officially available, see www.skype.com

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2004, 06:06 AM

I've been testing it with PC users for a few hours so for today and so far so good. *cross fingers* lets hope no nasties come out of the woodwork though.

Weird that macnn news is ignoring the availability though

TR

Sarc
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 11:39 AM

I tried it for the first time today, and it's great,
I spoke to my father (currently in Switzerland, I'm in Chile, Mac2Mac connection) and while it uses more bandwith than iChat and has a worse codec, it's a great piece of software, it could threaten M$'s dominance with MSN messenger.

I hope they optimize it (more preferences, and CPU usage is very, very
high).

A great addition to Mac OS X
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 02:30 PM

I can't find any information about US-only pricing from puter to phone. Can someone point me in the right direct?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 02:44 PM

It's about $.02 a minute for calls within the US. At least that's what it was when I called from Virginia to California a couple weeks ago. I'm very excited to see this software come to the Mac!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 31, 2004, 06:52 PM

Does Skype work well with iSight's built-in mic? If so, I'm buying the new iSight right away.

I've been hesitant to buy the iSight because I don't know very many close friends on AIM...but with Tiger's iChat, Monster Library's UPC code reading ability, ToySight, UT2k4 and GarageBand making use of either iSight's camera and mic or just the mic...Skype and the fact that I need low rates to call people in Tunisia will be the deciding factor for buying iSight.

edit: also, I've never owned any Firewire devices...and not buying any Firewire device during the Quicksilver's lifespan would make me (and the G4) very sad.

bassbug
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 07:07 PM

I hope they optimize it (more preferences, and CPU usage is very, very
high).
[/B]
That's what I'm worried about: the huge CPU usuage when you're chatting away. Highs up to 90% isn't funny when you're trying to chat as well as browsing the net... Lots of choking as well as dodgy performance of the system!
Take care!
Jay

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 1, 2004, 10:06 PM

Bump!

Skype and iSight...do they go well together?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 11:31 PM

Dunno, but Skype doesn't seem to work with bluetooth headsets yet, which is disappointing.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 2, 2004, 12:58 AM

Tried it yesterday for an hour or so. Great.
It`s still a beta version - so they can iron out some bugs before the final release.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 2, 2004, 10:30 AM

But does Skype and iSight's mic work well together?

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 10:36 AM

Tried it earlier this week between home and work; boy, the sound quality left a lot to be desired. Maybe it was just a bad time of the day, but compared to X-Ten, it wasn't even close for clarity...

Will try again outside of a corporate firewall environment and see how it goes.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 2, 2004, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by legacyb4:
Tried it earlier this week between home and work; boy, the sound quality left a lot to be desired. Maybe it was just a bad time of the day, but compared to X-Ten, it wasn't even close for clarity...

Will try again outside of a corporate firewall environment and see how it goes.
abigdork should come and explain what's going on.

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Sep 2, 2004, 03:38 PM

I get a perpetual 'logging in, please wait...' screen. First time I used it, it worked; created an account and put a credit on it. Now it will not log in.

arrhhh! This is just what I was afraid of--drop some euros on something and then get hosed with some stupid crap.

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Sod Off Sadr:
I get a perpetual 'logging in, please wait...' screen. First time I used it, it worked; created an account and put a credit on it. Now it will not log in.

arrhhh! This is just what I was afraid of--drop some euros on something and then get hosed with some stupid crap.
hey! read the comments at macupdate! The beta 0803 has been pulled b/c of these problems.

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2004, 04:06 PM

got it working.
( Last edited by Sod Off Sadr; Sep 2, 2004 at 04:57 PM. )

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 02:41 PM

Isn't there any PSTN services that are free anymore? Dial Pad used to be free, Free world dial-up was free for a while. Apple really needs to capitalize on this and come out with iPhone with free or 1� per minute anywhere type scheme.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Isn't there any PSTN services that are free anymore? Dial Pad used to be free, Free world dial-up was free for a while. Apple really needs to capitalize on this and come out with iPhone with free or 1� per minute anywhere type scheme.
Except that the fact that those companies were not able to sustain the free model shows that it's probably a money-losing business. So Apple probably wouldn't "capitalize" at all if they tried it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Except that the fact that those companies were not able to sustain the free model shows that it's probably a money-losing business. So Apple probably wouldn't "capitalize" at all if they tried it.
I mean as a killer app, if skype can pull it off why can't apple? With ichat A/V they could have really make it into something killer. Something that will make people think about switching, want to make cheap or free phone calls? Get a Mac kind of thing.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2004, 09:06 PM

I mean as a killer app, if skype can pull it off why can't apple? With ichat A/V they could have really make it into something killer. Something that will make people think about switching, want to make cheap or free phone calls? Get a Mac kind of thing.
"Want to make cheap or free phone calls? Get a Mac."

"But I can already do that for free, with Skype."

I don't see the point...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

"But I can already do that for free, with Skype."

I don't see the point...
Sure there is skype now, but they could of implemented something like this in ichat.
Because iChat was out before skype, apple missed the boat on another application.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2004, 08:20 PM

they should also make a microwave that could be controlled via firewire. iWave or something. So I can make popcorn without having to punch in numbers. and they should make it so the electric company doesn't charge me for electricity used in this manner.

Looks like Apple is missing the boat again.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Turnpike:
Looks like Apple is missing the boat again.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2004, 01:02 AM

Sure there is skype now, but they could of implemented something like this in ichat.
Because iChat was out before skype, apple missed the boat on another application.
Yeah, back then the conversation would have gone:

"But I can already do that for free, with Dialpad."

This stuff costs money to do, people. You'd have to make sure the money you'd gain from such a venture would be enough to pay for the costs of the necessary infrastructure. The failure of Dialpad's free model shows that this isn't a sure thing. We'll see how well Skype does...

mdiament
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
What will happen when iChat allows 10 per 'call'?

Somehow I don't think you shouldn't be taken seriously with that name.
I subscribed to Skype and purchased a simplyphone handset which is advertised as Mac compatible. However I can't seem to configure it properly - I can hear the other party but they can't hear me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by mdiament
I subscribed to Skype and purchased a simplyphone handset which is advertised as Mac compatible. However I can't seem to configure it properly - I can hear the other party but they can't hear me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
Wow not a single post in 2005.

In Skype preferences what to you have set as the audio input source in the audio tab? Also check the system prefs for a similar question and see if there is a conflict.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

chris_h
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 08:44 AM

My last post in this thread was a year and a half ago. 8-)

DarwinX
Feb 9, 2006, 11:30 AM

I used to use Skype for podcasting and chatting with family. I still use it to chat with family but as far as the podcasting goes, I've now started to use Gizmo Project. Skype has become a real CPU hog, at least in my experience(even with just a single person I'm talking to, my fans will kick in on my PowerBook with nothing else running!). Just my 2 cents.

Note I still prefer Skype out to Gizmo Projects for what its worth.

*Edit, added last paragraph

Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by mdiament

Thanks,
Michael
For me Skype rarely works on my first attempt. We usually have to connect 3-5 times before we finally get a good connection. This is computer to computer. So try 5 times, any more, and it's probably something else.

Now, there could be firewall issues on your side or theirs. Both of you should try calling echo123 (it's a skype user for troubleshooting). Leave a message, and see if you can here it when it plays back.

Your audio settings may be incorrect, or theirs may be.

Finally, if it's a call to a normal phone, I have no idea! It always works for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules