Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > .Mad only 75.99 dollars!!

.Mad only 75.99 dollars!!
FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 05:22 PM

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2004, 05:26 PM

No wonder, it's the OFFLINE version...

Originally posted by FulcrumPilot:
Distribution Media - CD-ROM

-t

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:

-t

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 07:23 PM

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 07:31 PM

-t
indeed.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2004, 07:36 PM

Well this would make more sense than renewing for $99.

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 07:45 PM

.Mad?

Xeo your sig is two pixels too tall

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 07:49 PM

Why renew at all spymac's premium service is half that and they offer a pretty good free service.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 07:56 PM

Hmm...

"Purchase a new Mac between June 27, 2004 and January 10, 2005, and get .Mac for $69.95 1 --that's just 19 cents a day 2 for everything you need to get more out of the Internet."

(The student discount on Apple)

Should I get .Mac, after all? I mean, I think it's a rip-off, but it's nice to have these features, even if you don't use them much. They'll come in handy with Tiger, probably...meh...

I feel like I'm missing out, but I'm not...but I want my Mac experience!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 08:09 PM

Mad alright!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2004, 08:54 PM

$80.97 with the cheapest shipping offer, plus it's on backorder...

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 09:12 PM

It's too late for me.. my membership gonna expires on Oct 1st...

Not bad from MegaMac.com

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Not bad from MegaMac.com

Code:
Home (1-5 days) $21.73 Business (1-5 days) $20.05 Express Saver (1-3 days) $21.14 Express 2nd Day $22.02 Express Standard Overnight $39.18
Sucks being in AK sometimes.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 09:37 PM

I'm already .Mad! I don't need to pay someone for more madness

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2004, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Why renew at all spymac's premium service is half that and they offer a pretty good free service.
because its spymac?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2004, 09:20 AM

.Mac is down right now...all services...

Hmm.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2004, 10:02 AM

I logged into .Mac online this morning.. just to check something..
It looks new to me..

Total storage: 250MB

I don't understand it anyway... Besides the regular $99.95/year service, I paid the extra $10 for an extra 5MB email account.. that's it.

[edit]: Okay.. I believe that Apple is upgrading the service at this moment. They up the storage to members as well.. with the total of 250 mb storage on both email and iDisk.. so you can get up-to 18mb email/232mb iDisk.. to 188mb email/62mb iDisk. Meanwhile, that's still not the answer to SpyMac.
( Last edited by Kenneth; Sep 29, 2004 at 10:10 AM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2004, 10:14 AM

nice one Apple. A well needed upgrade.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2004, 10:18 AM

Okay.. it's official..

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 10:19 AM

That would be nice to choose how much you want to use out of the storage space allowed, they still need to upgrade the size though. It should be 500 mb to 1 GB min with places like google and spymac offering free 1 GB mail. I think spymac offers 3 GB mail for $20.00 or so.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2004, 10:20 AM

the_glassman:

SpyMac's service is REALLY awesome. I'm totally impressed and signed up and am considering using their premium service: The Wheel because it looks really nice at only $39.

I've been saying for a long time that $99 for Apple's service is a bit too pricey when there are so many other options available out there.

I love .Mac but Apple should make it a little less pricey. I'd buy it at $69 but not at $99. I don't use it enough so I don't want to pay $100 for it.

Good linky, glassman!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2004, 10:25 AM

Okay.. it's official..

250 MB ? Still not enough to make me switch.

-t

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 10:26 AM

Is it still way overpriced for more space as well? I can't find how much they want for something like a gig of storage on the .mac homepage.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 10:31 AM

250 MB ? Still not enough to make me switch.

-t
Exactly, storage is cheap, 250 mb is just not enough space to backup info, host files, movies and pictures.

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:

SpyMac's service is REALLY awesome. I'm totally impressed and signed up and am considering using their premium service: The Wheel because it looks really nice at only $39.

I've been saying for a long time that $99 for Apple's service is a bit too pricey when there are so many other options available out there.

I love .Mac but Apple should make it a little less pricey. I'd buy it at $69 but not at $99. I don't use it enough so I don't want to pay $100 for it.

Good linky, glassman!
I've been extremely happy with their free web space, e-mail service. They offer more for the money, at this point I think I'm going with wheel as well.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2004, 11:42 AM

First of all, when you can get it for a substantial discount by buying the retail box, I think the complaints about the $99 pricetag are unfounded. (You can also get $20 off by referring someone else to .Mac).

It's also a lot more than email and web storage. I find iSync to be very handy indeed if you have more than one computer. I also like the automated Backup program to backup my data and settings to the iDisc. The free software we occasionally get can be nice too, although it's nothing earthshattering. It's still a little on the expensive side, but that's Apple for you. The upgrades take care of my main complaint, which was insufficient mail storage.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2004, 11:44 AM

Exactly, storage is cheap, 250 mb is just not enough space to backup info, host files, movies and pictures.
I agree that more would have been nice, especially given that gmail gives you 1GB for free. However, I don't know about you but even 1GB would not be enough to backup all of my pictures, much less movies, etc etc. So I am selective about when I put on the iDisk and I don't use anywhere near the maximum amount.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
First of all, when you can get it for a substantial discount by buying the retail box, I think the complaints about the $99 pricetag are unfounded. (You can also get $20 off by referring someone else to .Mac).

It's also a lot more than email and web storage. I find iSync to be very handy indeed if you have more than one computer. I also like the automated Backup program to backup my data and settings to the iDisc. The free software we occasionally get can be nice too, although it's nothing earthshattering. It's still a little on the expensive side, but that's Apple for you. The upgrades take care of my main complaint, which was insufficient mail storage.
While using iSync is nice, it's not anything you can't do yourself using another program, using ftp, webdav, etc...
I agree 1 GB isn't enough, spymac offers 3 GB e-mail for a small fee. If I said apple should offer 5 GB storage and 5 GB e-mail all the people would jump on me. If apple offered more for the money I would be glad to purchase it.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 01:15 PM

While using iSync is nice, it's not anything you can't do yourself using another program, using ftp, webdav, etc...
I agree 1 GB isn't enough, spymac offers 3 GB e-mail for a small fee. If I said apple should offer 5 GB storage and 5 GB e-mail all the people would jump on me. If apple offered more for the money I would be glad to purchase it.
iSync is by far the best feature of .Mac if you have multiple Macs. I often find myself acquiring old Macs, setting up machines in different places, and I want to be able to access my address book, bookmarks and calendars. iSync allows my 5 (current) Macs, my cell phone, Palm and iPod to all be up to date, and I don't even need to think about it. iSync will synchronize automatically so making a change on one device means that all will get it and it doesn't matter that my Macs are located in different states, on different networks, because .Mac handles it over the internet.

10.4 is going to offer even more features to iSync. It looks like all of your application preferences will be syncable, making it easy to keep all of your settings consistent on every Mac you use. I can't wait for this.

iSync is what makes .Mac worth the money. I agree that storage space is still to low, idisk speeds are horrible, webdav is a hack (AFP was great and FTP should be available since you can't even use Blogger with .Mac since there is no FTP idisk access), email access is shaky, and there are other problems with the service. If you have only one Mac then maybe .Mac isn't for you, but I am going to keep this service for a while, at least until someone else comes up with something better, which is unlikely.

Apple should, however, add .Mac support for Windows so that people who use a PC at work can keep their browser bookmarks, contacts, and calendar consistent between computers. I have requested this several times.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 01:21 PM

What!!!! .Mac, and I thought this was for a subscription to MAD magazine.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2004, 01:46 PM

Sweet, I had just got the notice last night that I was approaching capacity. I just checked and I am now using 13.2 of 125 mbs. I hate having to clean up my mailbox and now I can procrastinate.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2004, 02:26 PM

Well.. I believe that some people pick .Mac since it's from Apple.. and if Apple earns a buck more.. we, the Mac users, feel happy about it.

I have been an iTools/.Mac member since day 1.. and I just don't want to lose my username and the .mac address..I do have a free spymac account or GMail.. but I still like what .Mac gives me.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 03:35 PM

I would be more willing to purchase it at a more reasonable price of like $39.99 or $49.99. I use a sign up for a trail now and then just to reassure myself I'm not missing anything.

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2004, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
iSync is by far the best feature of .Mac if you have multiple Macs. I often find myself acquiring old Macs, setting up machines in different places, and I want to be able to access my address book, bookmarks and calendars. iSync allows my 5 (current) Macs, my cell phone, Palm and iPod to all be up to date, and I don't even need to think about it. iSync will synchronize automatically so making a change on one device means that all will get it and it doesn't matter that my Macs are located in different states, on different networks, because .Mac handles it over the internet.

10.4 is going to offer even more features to iSync. It looks like all of your application preferences will be syncable, making it easy to keep all of your settings consistent on every Mac you use. I can't wait for this.

iSync is what makes .Mac worth the money. I agree that storage space is still to low, idisk speeds are horrible, webdav is a hack (AFP was great and FTP should be available since you can't even use Blogger with .Mac since there is no FTP idisk access), email access is shaky, and there are other problems with the service. If you have only one Mac then maybe .Mac isn't for you, but I am going to keep this service for a while, at least until someone else comes up with something better, which is unlikely.

Apple should, however, add .Mac support for Windows so that people who use a PC at work can keep their browser bookmarks, contacts, and calendar consistent between computers. I have requested this several times.
I completely agree with this. I'm a .mac member because of iSync, and .Mac's ability to be accessed from anywhere. Even when I'm at work, I can access my address book on my POS work Windows machine.

I have 2 Macs, and it is absolutely revolutionary that I can sync my favorites and addresses between the two computers without a thought.

Seriously, .Mac has some quite revolutionary features, and absolutely put to shame Microsoft's ability to "innovate". It's ashame this kind of thing doesn't get more attention.

Actually, now that I think about it, .Mac really takes place of a PDA for me. Impressive.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

Forum Links
Forum Rules