Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > No Update On 10.5? No New Apps?

No Update On 10.5? No New Apps?
passmaster16
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 04:21 PM

While I was impressed with the product releases today, I was surprised that there were no new applications or any mention of Leopard. The only real software is OS X running on iPhone which is impressive in its own right, but I would have liked to see what new features might be coming our way.

Does this mean that Leopard doesn't really have any new features other than what was already mentioned? Perhaps it is behind in development? Or maybe Apple is going to pull one of its special "media events" in a few months to announce new products?

Should be be concerned about the name change to Apple Inc. or is this just a formality and not an indication that Apple is looking more towards furthering itself in cosumer electronics and less in computers?

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 04:38 PM

I think the name change is mainly a formality, reflecting Apple's broader interests.

I was disappointed with the lack of Leopard/iApps presence. I'm thinking there will be a special event sometime before the end of March that will address Mac software. Hopefully. I doubt Leopard is behind schedule...the release was set for spring, so that gives them another 5 months and change to get it to market.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 04:42 PM

If the Leopard sneak peak is all there is to leopard, it's going to be a very disappointing year in terms of the OS market.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 04:47 PM

They'll need to change the name to AppleWorld, or iPod world. They didn't even mention the Mac once in the whole thing, except that it can stream to the appletv, which a pc can also do.

I'm psyched about the iPhone, but no news on leopard is a total downer.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 04:50 PM

It's obvious that Apple didn't want to distract from those two big product announcements. They want iPhone and Apple TV to be what the press focuses on. Leopard and the octo-core Mac Pros don't need the same media blitz, so they'll get their day a bit later.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

passmaster16  (op)
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan View Post
They'll need to change the name to AppleWorld, or iPod world. They didn't even mention the Mac once in the whole thing, except that it can stream to the appletv, which a pc can also do.

I agree. I liked the new products but couldn't they have released those products during a media event and keep MacWorld reserved for products directly related to the Mac platform. I know Apple has done well in the consumer electronics area with the iPod and I understand that these types of products are needed to maintain stability of the company. But as a person who purchased a Mac for the sole purpose of getting on OS X and the Mac platform, I am a bit concerned that more emphasis is being put on these consumer devices and less is being put on the Mac platform itself. These feelings could be completely unwarranted and Apple may blow me away with the new features in 10.5 which I hope that it ends up being the case.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 04:56 PM

What's the downer here? I don't see it. Apple probably wanted to have all the buzz over the iPhone, tv was only presented because they announced it before.

In the past there were several ocassions where Apple unveiled new products just a couple of weeks after MWSF. I severely doubt that they are stupid enough to lose focus on the Mac marked.

iLife 07 maybe released along with 10.5 or earlier.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 05:02 PM

Think about it - you're announcing one of the most revolutionary products in a LONG TIME, and you're going to announce it...and Leopard?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:03 PM

New airports at least.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4 View Post
What's the downer here? I don't see it. Apple probably wanted to have all the buzz over the iPhone, tv was only presented because they announced it before.
The downer is all the hype over a product that isn't even going to be shipped until summer. iTV isn't even shipping yet. What a waste of a keynote for MWSF'07.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan View Post

The event is heavily influenced by the magazine 'MacWorld,' which covers not only Macs, but all things Apple. It's sooo stupid to complain about semantics like that.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
The downer is all the hype over a product that isn't even going to be shipped until summer. iTV isn't even shipping yet. What a waste of a keynote for MWSF'07.
As opposed to…what? The Airport Extreme is the only new product shipping right this second.
Chuck
___

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:13 PM

The internet has been ablaze for weeks now about nothing but the iPhone. Apple did the right thing by focusing this MacWorld on it. It is an amazing product and as far as I know, no other cellphone comes close to doing what the iPhone can.
Spend an hour talking about nothing but this, show off every since facet of it, and let the media do the rest.

By there not being a single word of Leopard and iLife brings me to think that a 'media event' will come up shortly which will be for Leopard.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
As opposed to…what? The Airport Extreme is the only new product shipping right this second.
According to the Apple Store it is shipping in February.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:15 PM

Hmmm, maybe showing off the 'TOP SECRET' Leopard stuff? Releasing a true iPod Video?, Mac upgrades? It seems Apple is now literally dumping computers from it's name and company.

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 05:18 PM

The purpose of this keynote was to boost apple stock. That meant telling "the critics" what they wanted to hear instead of talking about what current customers could get. It's the only keynote in recent times I can recall where, after ending, stock was actually significantally up instead of down.

I agree with the synthesis of this thread. To me, 10.5 is THE biggest thing Apple has going for it this year. They can introduce new gadgets all they want; unless it's a hoverboard, 10.5 is still the thing I look forward to the most.
To be determined later.

Buck_W
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
By there not being a single word of Leopard and iLife brings me to think that a 'media event' will come up shortly which will be for Leopard.
I agree and I am looking forward to it. Without a doubt, the iPhone is amazing, but in terms of apps that I use everyday, I was disappointed that there were no updates to iLife and iWork.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:19 PM

It seems Apple is now literally dumping computers from it's name and company.

Just because this event was about the iPhone? Breathe in a bag and calm down, good Mac products will be seen soon, be sure of it.

Buck_W
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4 View Post
Breathe in a bag and calm down...
LOL!
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:21 PM

I think the lack of iLife and iWork is because those two are going to rely heavily on Leopard. I am unsure, but have any iLife and iWorks come out that require the latest Mac OS?

I can't help but shake the idea that 10.5 and the new iLife/iWork is going to use Core Animation a lot, and that's why I think they'll be released at the same time.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:22 PM

I really wanted to see Leopard. Oh well. The iPhone is damn impressive, though.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 05:22 PM

Hmmm, maybe showing off the 'TOP SECRET' Leopard stuff? Releasing a true iPod Video?, Mac upgrades? It seems Apple is now literally dumping computers from it's name and company.
Right, because Apple announced a phone once, Apple's never releasing any new computers or computer software.

Seriously, do you see how melodramatic you're being? You expected something to happen at this event, but it didn't. It'll happen at another event. That's all.
Chuck
___

flabasha
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 05:33 PM

Well, CNN's front page is a photo of smiling Steve, an Apple logo, and the iPhone, saying "all things to all users", so I wouldn't exactly call it a "waste of a keynote".

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:37 PM

Right, because Apple announced a phone once, Apple's never releasing any new computers or computer software.

Seriously, do you see how melodramatic you're being? You expected something to happen at this event, but it didn't. It'll happen at another event. That's all.

Apple focusing mostly solely on the iPhone which isn't even shipping until summer just seems stupid for MWSF. Sorry if you don't feel this way, but I do.

Has there EVER been a MWSF where nothing was shipping? It just seems Apple is lagging behind.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by flabasha View Post
Well, CNN's front page is a photo of smiling Steve, an Apple logo, and the iPhone, saying "all things to all users", so I wouldn't exactly call it a "waste of a keynote".
The iPhone is also on the front page of El Mundo

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by flabasha View Post
He could have held another event. MacWorld is about Macs right? Not phones....

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 05:42 PM

MacWorld is about Macs right?
And Mac-related products, such as the iPod and Mac software. The iPhone is an Apple-branded phone that runs Mac OS X. That seems related to me.
Chuck
___

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:45 PM

He could have held another event. MacWorld is about Macs right? Not phones....
MacWorld is about Apple. The fact that "Mac" is in the title has nothing to do with the computer and everything to do with the magazine.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:59 PM

Whatever. I'm still disappointed.

fashizzle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 06:12 PM

I agree, there's NOTHING available TODAY. Airport is due in Feb, alongside the Apple TV. Where the frig is the smaller form-factor MBP? Though after watching one CES report, it looks like Apple slapped the s%@#! outta some of the companies displaying there in addition to stealing some mighty thunder.

I woulda settled for an iWork '07 or iLife update even. I smell some special events right around the corner!

Meh.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 06:23 PM

They didn't release new Mac Pro and Displays. I'm going to go out and kill some ants.

No really, iPhone is flat out awesome (even my deaf brother are planning on buying one) and tv is a guaranteed purchase for both of us.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 06:24 PM

It just seems Apple is lagging behind.
Lagging behind? Behind what? Microsoft?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 06:33 PM

Rob Griffith's of macosxhints was also iDisappointed.

osxpinot
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 06:40 PM

Well, Apple was truly in a catch-22. If they didn't release the iPhone today, they'd get a whole lot of disappointed people. Ideally, they should've spent less time on the iPhone and done some other [Mac] stuff.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by osxpinot View Post
Well, Apple was truly in a catch-22. If they didn't release the iPhone today, they'd get a whole lot of disappointed people. Ideally, they should've spent less time on the iPhone and done some other [Mac] stuff.
CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

Does that look like Apple ****ed up to you?
Chuck
___

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Lagging behind? Behind what? Microsoft?
I heard Apple Computers, Inc is lagging behind Apple, Inc. Could be a rumor though.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 9, 2007, 07:51 PM

I was a bit surprised there was no iWork with Charts announcement.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 07:57 PM

a link to CNN? were you trying to link to an apple article that made the headlines?

and?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
The iPhone is also on the front page of El Mundo
Wow, I'm amazed.

NOT.

-t

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 08:30 PM

The iPhone was specifically mentioned as having Core Animation, so that means it's running 10.5, right?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
The iPhone was specifically mentioned as having Core Animation, so that means it's running 10.5, right?
So ?

-t

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 08:39 PM

Looks like 10.5 to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules