Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iPhone

The iPhone (Page 9)
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 11:36 AM

AT&T is the parent company of Cingular.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2007, 11:40 AM

The iPhone is wonderful! It offers exactly what I've been wanting...a pocketable OS X. I've been wanting a PDA or smart phone but what holds me back is the fact most run a Windows OS. Well now there's an OS X version and it's awesome. All of the other features just add to the greatness that is the iPhone.

I'm also loving that I have Cingular!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
Not necessarily. On a Treo, the SIM card is just pushed into a slot on the top.
No it's not. The slot on top is for a MEMORY card, not a SIM card. The SIM card goes where the SIM card goes in 99.9% of every other cell phone on the market - inside.

Apple is stupid for having an "outside" slot for the SIM card and stupid for not having a removable battery. I love the iPhone and all it's features. I don't care about most things people are complaining about. BUT, removable/replaceable battery is a must.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Zulieferbetrieb: Touchscreens für iPhone kommen aus Deutschland - Wirtschaft - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten

There is a report now that the touchscreen of the iPhone is made by a German company. An Apple Germany spokesperson also allegedly said that the iPhone uses an Intel CPU.
Na I'm pretty sure they are made in heaven.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 11:53 AM

I'll be getting one--eventually. Nice that I can use the same car charger for my nano that I will for my phone.

Any car that has an iPod interface will be able to use this. Curious in the ways car companies and stereo makers will exploit this (have incoming call names appear on head unit, etc.)
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Apple is stupid for having an "outside" slot for the SIM card
Why? SIMS were originally so if you switch phones when traveling you can take it in and out to have your contacts in another phone. Also if you lost your phone (but not the card somehow) you could just pop it in a new phone and go.

Same goes for support, if you are sending it in that cards needs out. Most phone ROM updates make you take the card out also.

With every other phone on the market that means taking out the battery and trying to hook it with your fingernail to pry it out.

I like Apple's method better.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
Any car that has an iPod interface will be able to use this. Curious in the ways car companies and stereo makers will exploit this (have incoming call names appear on head unit, etc.)
It opens a lot of cool doors for add ons as it has bluetooth.

Now car manufacturers don't have to include a special iPod connector in a glove compartment but simply add bluetooth support and you can stream it right from your pocket.

Even if the iPhone can't do that out of the box you know it won't take either apple, 3rd part or some shareware to do just that.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
I'll be getting one--eventually. Nice that I can use the same car charger for my nano that I will for my phone.

Cars will most likely do it through bluetooth. My current deck does this with any bluetooth enabled phone. Just pair it up and go.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:07 PM

No one commented on this so I'm going to repeat it.

Nano with 4 gigs of memory = $199
Exact same Nano with 8 gigs = $249

iPhone with 4 gigs of memory = $499
Exact same iPhone with 8 gigs = $599

What's up with that? 4 gigs of flash memory is a $50 upgrade on the iPod but a $100 upgrade on the iPhone?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post

What's up with that? 4 gigs of flash memory is a $50 upgrade on the iPod but a $100 upgrade on the iPhone?
Honestly? I think the base number is so high it seems ridiculous to go at an increment of $50.

People will look at it and go twice the memory for 20%$ more? Looks good!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 10, 2007, 12:12 PM

AAPL is up over $96 now.

AAPL: Up on speculation. Up on news.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
No one commented on this so I'm going to repeat it.

Nano with 4 gigs of memory = $199
Exact same Nano with 8 gigs = $249

Meh who cares. I mean that phone is so tight I am not going to worry about where the extra $50 bucks went. They might also be using a different Flash memory for all we know.

At least they aren't charging more for black.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:14 PM

So what is the PC support anyway? How does it handle bookmarks and address book syncing?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 12:19 PM

I'm waiting for the 3G version.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:21 PM

I'm not super worried about it either, I just thought it was pretty lame.

This phone is like a dream product to me, but I think I'm going to wait for rev 2 anyway. Because it seems like a little more then I would want to spend on it. (After factoring in the ridiculously expensive data plans from cingular).

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Cars will most likely do it through bluetooth. My current deck does this with any bluetooth enabled phone. Just pair it up and go.
Thanks. Admittedly, I'm not up-to-date on car electronics (says I who uses a cassette adapter).

While an iPod adapter would charge the phone, I suppose a cigarette lighter would do the same.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:31 PM

So this fancy voicemail is really just the same as sending voice notes with MMS or whatever right?

So you're pretty much getting a voice SMS message when someone leaves a message as far as I can tell.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 12:35 PM

Jesus Mary and Joseph, God in Heaven Above, you ****ers are so impossible to please it's freakin ridiculous!

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
So what is the PC support anyway? How does it handle bookmarks and address book syncing?
iTunes runs on Windows and the iPhone uses iTunes to get all its goodness.

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
Jesus Mary and Joseph, God in Heaven Above, you ****ers are so impossible to please it's freakin ridiculous!
Name names, baby, I'm offended.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
AAPL is up over $96 now.

AAPL: Up on speculation. Up on news.
Wow, they're up nearly 15% in 2 half days!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:39 PM

Some Hands-On Time With the iPhone - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog

Apple's New Calling: The iPhone -- Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2007 -- Page 1 -- TIME

No wireless sync. Not open to 3rd parties. Typing is difficult.

Obvious question but it has a vibrate mode right?
If so perhaps it would help tactile feedback if when you push an onscreen button the vibrate rumbled very softly and briefly. Nintendo does this with the Wii's UI and there are even computer mice on the market that do that today.

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:40 PM

It recurs to me that no one knows how Apple is using the iPhone name legally.

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:41 PM

Actually I noticed Steve's odd wording didn't exactly confirm it did.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:44 PM

So many reactions people are making remind me of when the iPod was first introduced.

We all make comparisons to the things we know - it's natural. "The battery isn't removable." For example.

My wife removes the battery from her phone exactly - NEVER.

What we aren't seeing is what Steve sees. Look how lame a 1G iPod is now - 5GB drive, b&w screen, chunky size, no video, no photos, physical clickwheel, non-standarized connector for accessories, short battery life, etc.

Imagine where the iPhone is going when it's on faster networks with more software, etc. Apple will hone this one before it's released, then it will make next generations better.

But look at it this way - a whole bunch of cars these days come with iPod connectors. That means an iPhone will have a built in charger, doesn't it? Add to that the Bluetooth and most new cars will be able to interact with the iPhone.

We're all criticizing this thing based on it not being "perfect." But compare it to the products currently on the market and it blows them away. I'd rather have one of these for an iPod with video than the current iPods with video. I'm pretty sure it will work better for Mac integration than Blackberrys and Treos.

And since most of it's capabilities are in software, who is to say that it won't be just a software upgrade away for it to do so many more things - iTunes store, tune sharing (can you say goodbye Zune?), gaming, VOIP, etc.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
What we aren't seeing is what Steve sees. Look how lame a 1G iPod is now - 5GB drive, b&w screen, chunky size, no video, no photos, physical clickwheel, non-standarized connector for accessories, short battery life, etc.

Imagine where the iPhone is going when it's on faster networks with more software, etc. Apple will hone this one before it's released, then it will make next generations better.
I'm not trying to disagree with you, but I think the iPhone took so long to come out because they spent so much time making sure it wasn't so much of '1G' model.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:49 PM

Some Hands-On Time With the iPhone - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog

Apple's New Calling: The iPhone -- Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2007 -- Page 1 -- TIME

No wireless sync. Not open to 3rd parties. Typing is difficult.

If so perhaps it would help tactile feedback if when you push an onscreen button the vibrate rumbled very softly and briefly. Nintendo does this with the Wii's UI and there are even computer mice on the market that do that today.
A short burst of vibrate would be cool, but it could have an effect on battery life, couldn't it?

The software-based keyboard is bad for tactile feedback, but good for other reasons - namely internationalization. I could also see Apple developing a macros system for proper names that are used regularly, too. I mean, why should I type B-O-Z-E-M-A-N every time that I want to type my hometown?

kick52
Baninated
Jan 10, 2007, 12:50 PM

this might of been answered already, but,

didnt linksys already release a product called an iphone (skype phone)?

so how can apple release this?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
It recurs to me that no one knows how Apple is using the iPhone name legally.

The owners of the name (Cisco I think) said they were inking a deal with Apple yesterday to give them the rights.

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN

Ah, thanks. What happens to the other iphone?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 12:51 PM

So many reactions people are making remind me of when the iPod was first introduced.

We all make comparisons to the things we know - it's natural. "The battery isn't removable." For example.

My wife removes the battery from her phone exactly - NEVER.
I do it about once every couple of weeks, and very often when I'm on vacation.

This is a huge consideration. I had three batteries for my old low-battery-life phone, because I was constantly running out of juice on that thing. On my current phone I only have two batteries I use, because the battery life is longer.

I'd also much prefer a removable battery on my iPod (which I drain fully much more often), but with the iPod it's not a deal killer, because I don't need my iPod to actually do important things.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
Engadget:

* No 3G. We know you know, but still, it hurts man.
* No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.
* No expandable memory.
* No removable battery.
* No Exchange or Office support.
I'm not sure what it means to say "no Exchange or Office support." There are varying levels of Exchange support, from none to basic mail receiving/sending to full calendar and contacts support, and that depends on how the administrators set the options from the server side. Steve mentioned Exchange support when he said the iPhone does imap, so I would imagine that, if the exchange administrators permit it, it could at least send/receive exchange email. And what does "no Office support" mean? That it doesn't have Excel built in? OK.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 12:52 PM

I'm not trying to disagree with you, but I think the iPhone took so long to come out because they spent so much time making sure it wasn't so much of '1G' model.
Like I said, people are very damned hard to please.

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:54 PM

Like I said, people are very damned hard to please.
Are you referring to me?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:56 PM

Well, it's certainly not a 1G when it comes to the iPod features. This is Apple's first shot at a phone, so some parts are going to need improvement.

But we're all comparing it to this mythical product we all would like - infinite battery life, free airtime, instantaneous downloads, full miniaturized OS X, infinite memory, whatever.

Compare it to what is on the market in the three categories Jobs said this product was aimed at - as an iPod, it looks to be the best, except for memory. But what are the chances of someone developing an extra memory add-on module somehow? And future versions will have more memory.

As a smart phone, it's better than anything I've seen or used. Especially when it comes to integrating with a Mac. But also because they concentrated on it doing things well and easily - most phones I have ever used feel like they are trying to prevent you from getting things done.

Be patient, the "perfect iPhone" will come out. Eventually. But let this be Version 1.0 and go from there.

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:58 PM

infinite battery life

Perhaps it could be powered by the whiny complaints of Mac users?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 12:58 PM

Well, it's certainly not a 1G when it comes to the iPod features. This is Apple's first shot at a phone, so some parts are going to need improvement.

But we're all comparing it to this mythical product we all would like - infinite battery life, free airtime, instantaneous downloads, full miniaturized OS X, infinite memory, whatever.

Compare it to what is on the market in the three categories Jobs said this product was aimed at - as an iPod, it looks to be the best, except for memory. But what are the chances of someone developing an extra memory add-on module somehow? And future versions will have more memory.

As a smart phone, it's better than anything I've seen or used. Especially when it comes to integrating with a Mac. But also because they concentrated on it doing things well and easily - most phones I have ever used feel like they are trying to prevent you from getting things done.

Be patient, the "perfect iPhone" will come out. Eventually. But let this be Version 1.0 and go from there.
I don't really consider this a true smartphone, since it seems you won't actually be able to run many smartphone applications on it. I consider it the best Walkman phone ever built, but with a price to match.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 12:59 PM

Are you referring to me?
Yeah, why are you complaining that it took so long to come out? Do you know how long it was in production and design and r&d and testing? If Apple released this one year from now, people would still be bitching about how long it took to come out and it has no replaceable battery, and no excel/office support, no vibrate........

Come on, people. It ain't completely finished yet. It ain't even available yet. What's it going to be like in 6 more months? People will still be bitching. And who knows, it probably won't cost $600 to buy at Cingular when you sign up for a two year contract. We all know that phones come at a discount when you sign a contract.

Give it a rest people.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 01:01 PM

Perhaps it could be powered by the whiny complaints of Mac users?

And God knows there's not a shortage of them around here.

centerchannel68
Baninated

I have a question...since this runs OSX... and it has wifi.... can I use SKYPE with it? If so, that would be incredible. Unlimited airtime.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN

But look at it this way - a whole bunch of cars these days come with iPod connectors. That means an iPhone will have a built in charger, doesn't it?
Plus, you would presumably be able to charge it off any USB of which there are many more in restaurants and bars than Nokia chargers.

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN

Yeah, why are you complaining that it took so long to come out?
Uh, I'm not, Mr. Cranky.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 01:02 PM

Yeah, why are you complaining that it took so long to come out? Do you know how long it was in production and design and r&d and testing? If Apple released this one year from now, people would still be bitching about how long it took to come out and it has no replaceable battery, and no excel/office support, no vibrate........

Come on, people. It ain't completely finished yet. It ain't even available yet. What's it going to be like in 6 more months? People will still be bitching. And who knows, it probably won't cost $600 to buy at Cingular when you sign up for a two year contract. We all know that phones come at a discount when you sign a contract.

Give it a rest people.
It's $600 if you pay for a 2-year contract, hence the comments about the price.

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
But look at it this way - a whole bunch of cars these days come with iPod connectors. That means an iPhone will have a built in charger, doesn't it?
No.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:03 PM

Here's an interesting statement I found in Information week's article about the iPhone.

"I think without a doubt Verizon is the one that is the most at risk with its VCast music model," said Albert Lin of American Technology Research. "It would've never allowed an Apple relationship to come to fruition."
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 01:04 PM

So Cingular has already announced the price of something that hasn't even been released to the store?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by typoon View Post
Here's an interesting statement I found in Information week's article about the iPhone.

"I think without a doubt Verizon is the one that is the most at risk with its VCast music model," said Albert Lin of American Technology Research. "It would've never allowed an Apple relationship to come to fruition."
V Cast as implemented for music is stupid.

So Cingular has already announced the price of something that hasn't even been released to the store?
Yes. Well, Jobs did. $499 with 2-year contract for 4 GB. $599 with 2-year contract for 8 GB.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 01:10 PM

Well, I'm sure that will change in 6 months. You never know, but Apple might come up with a way to get 8 to 10 gigs of flash memory in these things by then.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:11 PM

Or FCC approved.
"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

Perhaps because it isn't finished yet.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Or FCC approved.
"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

Perhaps because it isn't finished yet.
Yeah, I said the same thing. It ain't done yet.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 01:16 PM

Well, I'm sure that will change in 6 months. You never know, but Apple might come up with a way to get 8 to 10 gigs of flash memory in these things by then.
They already have 8 GB.

As for the 4 GB model, I guess you don't realize that memory deals would have already been made. The iPhone will undoubtedly use the same memory that is in the nano. I hope you don't honestly think that Apple brokers the deals a week before manufacture.

Forum Links
Forum Rules