Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook Won't Boot - HDLink?

PowerBook Won't Boot - HDLink?
iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2005, 04:17 PM

I have a TiBook 1GHz, going on about 2 years old, and I think I'm having my first major issue with it.

Basically, I just booted up today to find that it would not get past the Gray Apple Screen, I left it going for about an hour and it was just stuck.

So I did the usual diagnostics (resetting NVRam PRam etc.) I also ran Disk Utility, which found some little errors but it fixed those, and still wouldn't boot. I also tried Disk Utility, and it said that it found something wrong with the hard drives "Volume Headers" but that it couldn't fix it. I also did resetting permissions. I then ran the startup in verbose mode so I could get the output, and it seems to reveal whats wrong:

Creating Ram Disk For syslogd
hdik: attach failed: error e00002f0
syslogd: cannot create /var/run/syslog: read only file system
syslogd: child pid 103 excited with return code 1

Creating Ram Disk For crashreporter
hdik: attach failed: error e00002f0

Launching Crash Reporter

com.apple.SecurityServer: database /var/db/CodeEquivalentDatabase opened READONLY (R/W failed errno=30)

com.apple.SecurityServer: error writing entropy file /var/db/SYstemEntropyCache

com.apple.SecurityServer: Entering server

It then stops, this to my eyes seems to be a permissions problem, but I've run it twice and nothing seems to work.

As a last precaution, I did an archive and install of OS X, and that still didn't fix it. I know my PowerBook can see the HD, because when I choose the startup disk (by pressing Option I believe) I see my HD, and it tries to boot into it.

Is my HD frazzled?

Thanks,
Oliver

iOliverC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2005, 04:29 AM

No ideas anyone? Really desperate here

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 11:45 AM

Try running the extended Hardware Test, and then get your hands on a copy of DiskWarrior.

Forum Links
Forum Rules