Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX on a PC video ugh...

OSX on a PC video ugh...
arng1
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2007, 12:24 PM

I know this has been talked about several times before but here is a fairly detailed video from cnet on how to get osx running on a pc Video - Free video downloads and streaming video on computers, technology, music videos, and movie trailers on CNETTV.com - CNETTV They do stress that this will violate apples terms and conditions so they made it a point to leave out certain steps. I know this is nothing new and im kind of bothered to see it, but at the same time its pretty amazing to see osx running on a non-native pc in the same way that bootcamp allows windows to run on macs. What do you think (FROM A NON-BIAS POINT OF VIEW)?
( Last edited by arng1; Oct 17, 2007 at 01:51 PM. )

Cold Warrior
Oct 17, 2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by arng1 View Post
No?
No.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 12:27 PM

No.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 12:32 PM

Yes.

arng1  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2007, 01:43 PM

Look, I am not saying I agree with it, nor am I saying I like it anymore than any1 else here does. All I am saying is that it is interesting to see it work. Strictly coming from a non-bias stand point(pc hatred emotions aside). I love my macs and apple products.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 02:31 PM

Why should we dislike it?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why should we dislike it?
Less Mac sales for Apple. Apple turning into MS, paranoid about hackers and pirates.
Signature depreciated.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Less Mac sales for Apple. Apple turning into MS, paranoid about hackers and pirates.
Why should non-stockholders care about Apple's sales? Apple already is paranoid about hackers and pirates.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 02:47 PM

Because it matters to the health of the company. I'm sure you know something about the brief period Apple tried to support a clone market and what resulted from that.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Because it matters to the health of the company. I'm sure you know something about the brief period Apple tried to support a clone market and what resulted from that.
I do remember that, but most Mac users I know of are happy to think of their Macs as niche products. Apple has shown themselves that their core business is not competing against the Windows monopoly. So, how does slight growth or loss from the people that would be inclined to install OS X on a PC going to affect non-shareholder Mac users personally? It's not like Apple is in dire financial trouble...

If any, getting hackers interested in OS X might actually *help* Apple in the long run in case they ever do decide to compete against the general PC market.

The other question you need to ask is what percentage of these users are not going to buy a Mac no matter what? Within this population, perhaps some might be inclined to spent $130 for a Tiger/Leopard DVD?

Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 03:55 PM

I don't want to have to enter a 34 digit activation code to register my OS X, so I don't like it being hacked and installed where it shouldn't be.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I don't want to have to enter a 34 digit activation code to register my OS X, so I don't like it being hacked and installed where it shouldn't be.

How is this relevant to installing it on a PC? You could install an unlicensed copy of OS X on a Mac too.

Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 04:15 PM

Yeah, and I don't like that either.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 04:40 PM

Meh, I'll let Apple protect their interests, and I won't care about what other people do that don't affect mine. If you want to install OS X on a PC, have at it. You are on your own and it has its definite downsides - so much so that it will never be a viable platform as long as Apple doesn't support this setup. I feel the same way about the iPhone... you want to unlock it, have fun.

Why should we get upset and bothered about this? I just don't get it... If you want things to break in between releases, if you want to mess around with drivers, getting the thing installed, performing upgrades, staying one step ahead of Apple, why should we stop these people?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How is this relevant to installing it on a PC? You could install an unlicensed copy of OS X on a Mac too.
That doesn't keep people from buying Apple hardware too though. If you're just installing an unlicensed copy of OS X on a Mac you already own, then you've at least paid for the Mac and will likely pay for another in the future.

If you're installing OS X on a non-Mac PC then Apple's getting nothing out of you. It may be the case that if this were possible more people would try it and then buy Macs later on (similar to people who download MP3s illegally and then later buy the album), but who knows.

In the end, I don't think this really hurts Apple. The people that install the OS on non-Apple hardware are generally either Apple enthusiasts who do it because it's cool but also have Apple hardware as well, or just general hackers who think it's cool but otherwise wouldn't spring for a Mac anyway. In neither case is Apple actually losing out on anything, and at least people are trying OS X who might not otherwise.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
In the end, I don't think this really hurts Apple. The people that install the OS on non-Apple hardware are generally either Apple enthusiasts who do it because it's cool but also have Apple hardware as well, or just general hackers who think it's cool but otherwise wouldn't spring for a Mac anyway. In neither case is Apple actually losing out on anything, and at least people are trying OS X who might not otherwise.

Agreed...

arng1  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2007, 06:29 PM

Meh, I'll let Apple protect their interests, and I won't care about what other people do that don't affect mine. If you want to install OS X on a PC, have at it. You are on your own and it has its definite downsides - so much so that it will never be a viable platform as long as Apple doesn't support this setup.
That doesn't keep people from buying Apple hardware too though. If you're just installing an unlicensed copy of OS X on a Mac you already own, then you've at least paid for the Mac and will likely pay for another in the future.

If you're installing OS X on a non-Mac PC then Apple's getting nothing out of you. It may be the case that if this were possible more people would try it and then buy Macs later on (similar to people who download MP3s illegally and then later buy the album), but who knows.

Yeah, these were the responses I was looking for. Thanks guys for putting it into better perspective for me. Couldn't agree more!

Forum Links
Forum Rules