Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: NIB 2.66 Mac Pro w/4gig ram

FS: NIB 2.66 Mac Pro w/4gig ram
superfula
Senior User
Apr 3, 2007, 12:13 AM

A friend of mine won this from her place of work and she has no use for it.

It is a NIB (sealed) 2.66 Mac Pro. Everything is stock on it. There are also 2gig (2x1gig) and 1gig (2x512) kits of ram included, but are not yet installed. They are Kingston ram sticks with the approved Apple heat spreaders on them.

We are asking for $2800 + shipping. Paypal is definitely preferred, but will take a money order or cashiers check. If a credit card is used via Paypal, we ask the buyer pay half of the fee. We will be shipping from 50265, using the buyer's choice of shipping company.

Any questions, feel free to shoot me an email or pm. Thanks

Chad
( Last edited by superfula; Apr 4, 2007 at 11:38 PM. )

papadopolis
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2007, 12:19 AM

sorry to spam but where dose she work i would like to work at a place where i could win a mac pro..... WOW

Big-J-Dubb
Apr 3, 2007, 12:23 AM

right on man thats the **** and wow what a MAC

superfula  (op)
Senior User
Apr 3, 2007, 12:32 AM

Tell me about it. She works at a local marketing firm. Small enough so everyone knows everyone. They are spoiled. Like a small Google when it comes to work perks.

It was an 'It's the end of our fiscal year and we kicked ass' party so they were going all out.

superfula  (op)
Senior User
Apr 4, 2007, 08:34 PM

Any interest? I am willing to seperate the items. Feel free to make an offer.

motoxpress
Apr 4, 2007, 09:50 PM

Honestly, your price is a little high. I realize that this is new but, you are asking the same price as a retail box. Not a lot of incentive.

-mx

superfula  (op)
Senior User
Apr 4, 2007, 11:37 PM

Asking retail price is more than fair, imo. You are still saving at least $100 in taxes. However the retail price on this Kingston ram is quite high.

We are lowering the price down to 2800. That is 2400 for the Mac and 400 for the ram (based upon Crucial's price). All told, it's $150 less than retail before taxes.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 5, 2007, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by superfula View Post
Asking retail price is more than fair, imo. You are still saving at least $100 in taxes.
You do realize you can purchase a Mac Pro from an online retailer that wont charge tax, right? Also, citing Crucial's website for Crucial RAM pricing isn't exactly gonna fly with anybody who knows how to shop around. Might wanna try NewEgg.

And asking the buyer to cover even a dime of the fee is against PayPal's EULA and our forum's rules. I suggest you edit that part out of your original description.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

superfula  (op)
Senior User
Apr 5, 2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
You do realize you can purchase a Mac Pro from an online retailer that wont charge tax, right? Also, citing Crucial's website for Crucial RAM pricing isn't exactly gonna fly with anybody who knows how to shop around. Might wanna try NewEgg.

And asking the buyer to cover even a dime of the fee is against PayPal's EULA and our forum's rules. I suggest you edit that part out of your original description.
Yes you can buy ram from newegg, or you can buy Apple-approved ram with the correct head spreaders on them. You pay for quality. All of the ram problems on Apple's discussion board is evidence of that. Anyone who has done any reading about the ram Mac Pro's use isn't going to buy the cheapest one possible on Newegg.

Yes I am quite aware some don't charge tax. I have yet to come across any that do not charge tax or shipping, unless you are in a state without sales tax

And no, asking someone to help cover the fees if a credit card is used is not against Paypal's eula. I haven't seen any indication that this is against Macnn's rules.

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 5, 2007, 02:00 AM

this has pointed out countless times.

Originally Posted by paypal
"4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions."
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...yments-outside
good luck with the sale, it's a nice machine, i'm sure you'll find the right price eventually.
( Last edited by sledsbehave; Apr 5, 2007 at 02:08 AM. )
as ever,
sonny

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 5, 2007, 02:08 AM

Asking retail price is more than fair, imo. You are still saving at least $100 in taxes. However the retail price on this Kingston ram is quite high.

We are lowering the price down to 2800. That is 2400 for the Mac and 400 for the ram (based upon Crucial's price). All told, it's $150 less than retail before taxes.
Yes you can buy ram from newegg, or you can buy Apple-approved ram with the correct head spreaders on them. You pay for quality. All of the ram problems on Apple's discussion board is evidence of that. Anyone who has done any reading about the ram Mac Pro's use isn't going to buy the cheapest one possible on Newegg.
No... You misunderstand me. I am referring to buying said RAM from a Crucial reseller, and not Crucial directly. I made no mention of generic RAM.

Yes I am quite aware some don't charge tax. I have yet to come across any that do not charge tax or shipping, unless you are in a state without sales tax
The shipping charge is a drop in the bucket compared to the tax on a $3,000, especially in some of the 9%~ tax states.

And no, asking someone to help cover the fees if a credit card is used is not against Paypal's eula. I haven't seen any indication that this is against Macnn's rules.
And I'd bet $10 you've never bothered to read that EULA.

Refer to Section 4.6. I also suggest you read Section 8 since you do not seem to understand the fee.

Basically, the fee is on you, charged to you by PayPal for using their service. If you don't wanna eat the fee, then request payment by snail mail.

I'm not going to argue with you. I've been moderating the Markeplace for three years. I have had to dig through PayPal's EULA more times than I wish to remember.

As for it not being against MacNN's Marketplace rules; I'm telling you it is.

My replies to this thread should not have been necessary whatsoever. This machine was a prize. It was free. Whether it be you or your friend who is setting the price and the terms on 'fees', I suggest a more humble approach.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Apr 5, 2007 at 02:28 AM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

idyll
Senior User
Apr 5, 2007, 02:48 AM

That is a little high and asking for the buyer to pay for the paypal fees doesn't seem fair to me in my opinion..

i'd give you $2600 + shipping. can't pay the paypal fees though.. which is against paypal and this forum's policy anyway. and hey, if you sell through ebay you'll take a hit through paypal as well

what do you think? i'm very intersted and flexible..
( Last edited by idyll; Apr 5, 2007 at 02:54 AM. )

superfula  (op)
Senior User
Apr 5, 2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
No... You misunderstand me. I am referring to buying said RAM from a Crucial reseller, and not Crucial directly. I made no mention of generic RAM.
I did not misunderstand you. You mentioned Newegg, but they do not sell any ram approved by Apple, including Crucial's. Their site (crucial.com) is the cheapest you can find that model number of ram including the resellers. Most of the time the resellers charge more for it.

The shipping charge is a drop in the bucket compared to the tax on a $3,000, especially in some of the 9%~ tax states.
And? Shipping will be at least 70-80 on these machines if you aren't paying taxes. It's common sense that most people would rather pay the extra to buy directly from Apple.

And I'd bet $10 you've never bothered to read that EULA.

Refer to Section 4.6. I also suggest you read Section 8 since you do not seem to understand the fee.

Basically, the fee is on you, charged to you by PayPal for using their service. If you don't wanna eat the fee, then request payment by snail mail.

I'm not going to argue with you. I've been moderating the Markeplace for three years. I have had to dig through PayPal's EULA more times than I wish to remember.
Feel free to shoot me the $10 dollars when you get a chance. I do take personal checks.

Modding here for 3 years means nothing to me. I could say I've been selling via ebay/paypal since it's inception and it still wouldn't mean anything. I know the rule that you are quoting and I'm sorry but you are misreading it. I am not charging a fee to use paypal. If they want to use paypal, great! However if they choose to use a credit card to pay via paypal, that's when I request they pay half. Feel free to read my original post. Keep in mind that I still get charged if they use a bank account or debit card for the transaction and ask nothing in those cases. So as I said, I do not charge for using Paypal. You can claim all you want that it is against their EULA, but you will be wrong. Reading comprehension.

My replies to this thread should not have been necessary whatsoever. This machine was a prize. It was free. Whether it be you or your friend who is setting the price and the terms on 'fees', I suggest a more humble approach.
My replies to these posts should not have been necessary if you actually understood the Paypal EULA. In this instance, I am just the go-between. She told me what she wanted and I posted it. And frankly I agree 100%.

Unfortunately you and a couple others have crapped in this thread too much Lateralus. I doubt you'll admit you were wrong about the circumstances and clean the thread out, so feel free to close it. You've wasted my time too much already and I have no desire to discuss this with you.

idyll...I thank you for your offer, but it is a bit too low. I can ask if she'll take 2700 + shipping for the lot. And as I said above, as long as you don't choose to use a credit card, I don't request any help with the fees.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 5, 2007, 01:08 PM

I'm not going to continue to debate somebody who thinks their personal definiton of the word surcharge supercedes the actual definition.

That said, you are no longer permitted to post items to the Marketplace. Any items posted in the future will be deleted.

Have a good day.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules