Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Marvel Universe: WandaVision

Marvel Universe: WandaVision
andi*pandi
Jan 19, 2021, 09:48 PM

Disney finds another reason for me to keep subscribing to Disney+.

The first 2 episodes are just delightful comedy. Even my kid who hasn't seen many of the shows they are referencing laughed and thought it was fun. (bewitched, dick van dyke, i love lucy).

Then there was just enough hints of the underlaying mystery, so we are intrigued.

Anyone else? I never finished Agents of Shield but I'm realizing that without a new marvel movielately I kind of miss this universe.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 20, 2021, 08:03 AM

We made it through the first two episodes and it felt like drudgery in hopes that they are actually going to go somewhere with it. Are they actually going to go somewhere with it? I hate spoilers, but I also hate the idea of putting in all of this work only for nothing interesting to happen.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 20, 2021, 11:43 AM

I'm getting very strong Tahiti vibes.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2021, 11:24 AM

Eps 1 and 2 done.I am enjoying it. Paul Bettany is pretty good at comedy. In a way I was dissapointed that they jumped from the 50s o the 60s to the 70s so fast. I could have done with more time in each er... time to settle in. It upsets the dynamics both times. Still they only had 10 episodes to fit it all in so I can see why it cuts along. Looking forward to the rest
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Jan 23, 2021, 12:50 PM

We watched ep 1 and 2 and enjoyed it. Haven't seen ep 3 yet.

I am seriously going to put a brick through my tv, though, if this turns out to be another "you need to have seen umpteen Marvel movies, and maybe read a couple comics, to have any clue what's really going on" piece of geek pop culture.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 23, 2021, 02:41 PM

We have discussed if we need to rewatch endgame and infinity war. Might do so while I still have disney+.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jan 23, 2021, 06:11 PM

I haven't watched this but I did catch a trailer, reminded me a LOT of the simulator in Fallout 3.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 25, 2021, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
We have discussed if we need to rewatch endgame and infinity war. Might do so while I still have disney+.
Thinking about ditching D+? We got it to watch Mandalorian 1, then the pandemic hit and my poor youngest kid has had more screen time than her brother EVER got when he was her age.

We're still doing Marvel Monday, working through the whole MCU catalog, so I feel like we are still getting our money's worth from D+. This week we're up to Spiderman: Homecoming (which isn't on D+, annoyingly).

The biggest downside is that I'm not getting actual surround sound through D+ in Chrome on Windows, which is disappointing. Did a bunch of research just now, I think I'm going to get a Fire Stick 4K for the theater as that seems like the best way to get D+ and surround sound support.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 25, 2021, 12:48 PM

We finished the mandalorian season 1 and 2, watched all the marvel movies when they came out and then before infinity war to catch up my youngest... Watched Soul and new Mulan... so not much new to watch other than WandaVision.

I have older kids though so don't go into the vault that much. Given the amount of times our pixar dvds were replayed when my son was young, if I had younger kids I'd probably use disney+ instead of buying dvds.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2021, 09:29 PM

Is Disney+ on the Nvidia Shield system? I’m playing around with it now and it’s pretty stellar for Plex, although the interface isn’t up to ATV standards.

Thorzdad
Jan 31, 2021, 04:21 PM

Well, that was an interesting turn of events. Fun episode, even if you, like me, never saw the movies.

andi*pandi  (op)
Feb 1, 2021, 12:00 PM

That answered some questions, but brought up whole new ones. Nice. I'd never read the comics to know what SWORD is but I like the character.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2021, 12:38 PM

Haven't caught up on Wandavision yet, but we did get a jump on Marvel Monday and watched Ragnarok last night. I think it's my favorite of the whole series by far, except for maybe Endgame.

And the Fire Stick 4K is great, full Dolby support unlike D+ in Chrome.

Thorzdad
Feb 1, 2021, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
That answered some questions, but brought up whole new ones. Nice. I'd never read the comics to know what SWORD is but I like the character.
I've not read any of the comics or seen any of the relevant movies. I have a vague idea of who's who, just from having to listen to others go on about them, though. So far, from the point of view of someone not at all invested in the MCU, the show holds up pretty well (so far) as a stand-alone series. Seeing comments by MCU fans, I'm finding that the little details they're geeking out about really only seem to act as fan service (imho, of course) and don't add anything to my own enjoyment. So far.

Thorzdad
Feb 10, 2021, 07:36 PM

andi*pandi  (op)
Feb 10, 2021, 08:16 PM

After looking at the techy-80s part of the credits I was convinced they were going to go into a Max Headroom phase. I know it's not a family sitcom but just can you imagine Vision doing M-M-Max Headroom?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2021, 09:09 AM

Finally made it through episode 4, and now I see why we had to slog through the first few...

Thorzdad
Mar 6, 2021, 07:02 PM

Well...Any opinions about the finale?

andi*pandi  (op)
Mar 7, 2021, 05:59 PM

I enjoyed it a ton, but the ending very much seemed a prequel to some upcoming projects.
Agatha was kind of awesome. I enjoyed her chaotic neutral/evil paradox, was she right about Wanda?
Vision v Vision's discussion of the Ship of Theseus recalled to me some good bits from Ultron, about the meaning of life.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2021, 09:50 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it. It moved slowly, especially at the beginning. I think I struggled because I don't understand the "rules" of a magic battle. It felt like Fast and Furious 8 when there were two hackers "battling" by typing on keyboards and yelling, alternatively turning a submarine on and off. The "hacking" doesn't actually do or mean anything, so we can't understand the importance of what's going back and forth, or appreciate the magnitude of the solutions that the hackers are coming up with.

Similarly, we see a colored ball of magic in the hand of witch, and she throws it at another witch. Was that a crushing blow or a glancing blow? What kind of clever combination of spells did she come up with to form an effective attack?

Why do they keep using magic handcuffs that are effective only long enough to stir up some tension, then when the handcuffed witch is ready to make her move, they're no longer important so we're totally okay with them just disappearing? I guess we just understand that a powerful witch can't be constrained by magic handcuffs, but then why would another powerful witch have trusted the ineffective handcuffs as her only line of defense against a witch in the first place?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2021, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Well...Any opinions about the finale?
Powerful being A throws lots of glowing light at powerful being B until one of them falls over.

Par for the marvel universe course. I was hoping for something a lot more low key and smart out of a series that started off so left field.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2021, 08:06 AM

Been avoiding this thread until I saw it. Binged the whole thing. Good fun and as said, nice to get back into the MCU after such a drought. Its depressing how many movies have been delayed for such a long time now. Not just MCU, Dune was supposed to be out in December and got pushed a whole year. Morbius is Jan 2022 now. I'm worried that Black Widow is going to get bumped yet again. May might be a fraction too soon.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules