Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Active Directory on 2003 Server, what on OS X Server?

Active Directory on 2003 Server, what on OS X Server?
Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2007, 02:38 AM

Ok, so I just finished some Microsoft course about implementing and managing a Windows 2003 Server environment. In the course we learned about Active Directory and the wonders you can do with it. I'm wondering, what is the equivalent of Active Directory and the other applets that Server 2003 has for the Mac? According to the professor, Macs aren't able to to them by themselves so they get attached to the Windows servers...

Thanks in advanced to anyone that can help me out on this one,
Hg.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2007, 02:45 AM

Open Directory

Read more at Apple - Mac OS X Server
Vandelay Industries

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2007, 02:51 AM

8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ntsc
Senior User
Dec 20, 2007, 10:21 AM

also, your professor should learn about a subject before he opens his/her mouth and lets his/her stomach rumble...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 10:31 AM

Active Directory is basically Microsoft's implementation of an LDAP server with tight integration into Microsoft's OS. Active Directory itself does speak LDAP, as does OpenLDAP, the open source implementation used by Apple and other Unix/Linux OSes. What your prof might have meant was that some administrative AD tools are Windows only, but any client can bind to an AD server via LDAP.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2007, 05:53 PM

Thank you all for the feedback. Now I'll know where to stand on this subject.

In school (high school, not college) I enrolled on what they call in this country Bachillerato Tecnico (that's Technical Highschool). Being on Tecnico means that you learn how to administer severs, program, and all that kind of stuff on the Windows environment. Yes, me, a Mac guy, learning how to program and administer Windows servers. The point of me telling you this is that I'm always looking for the Mac-side of what I'm learning. I really like server management.. I hope that someday I'll get to administer a Mac server ^^.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
Thank you all for the feedback. Now I'll know where to stand on this subject.

In school (high school, not college) I enrolled on what they call in this country Bachillerato Tecnico (that's Technical Highschool). Being on Tecnico means that you learn how to administer severs, program, and all that kind of stuff on the Windows environment. Yes, me, a Mac guy, learning how to program and administer Windows servers. The point of me telling you this is that I'm always looking for the Mac-side of what I'm learning. I really like server management.. I hope that someday I'll get to administer a Mac server ^^.

My suggestion to get yourself there is to learn as much about Unix as you can. There isn't a huge demand for Mac server admin stuff, but the guys I know here that do that also are fairly comfortable in Unix and are required to utilize this knowledge frequently. Just knowing what stuff to click on in the GUI to do stuff is less useful than having a deeper understanding of how everything actually works behind the scenes and how to interact with things via the command line, in my opinion.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2007, 09:45 PM

Thanks for your recomendation but I'm not going to study anything related to server management. I'm going to be an architect... Computers are just a hobby of mine xD

Forum Links
Forum Rules