Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can Anyone Read Japanese? Translation Help Needed...

Can Anyone Read Japanese? Translation Help Needed...
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2010, 01:56 AM

I'm needing to get some instructions translated for a buddy of mine, so I scanned the paper and I'm posting it here in the hopes that someone who can read Japanese can help us out. Here's the pic:

Anyone care to take a shot at it?

Thanks in advance,
Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 02:21 AM

I can't read most of it, but at the bottom it says "You'll shoot your eye out".

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2010, 03:07 AM

This is the sort of thing that gets you a visit from homeland security. Followed by a slew of "government arrest model gun maker" stories.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2010, 05:31 AM

1/35 BROWNING M2 MACHINE GUN SET B
w/CRADLE
- from the TASCA MODELLISMO CO.,LTD.

You can just use google translate to translate the HTML if that helps.
( Last edited by Andy8; Jan 22, 2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: added linky)

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2010, 08:11 AM

The scan is not what's on the web page.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Railroader
Banned
Jan 22, 2010, 08:17 AM

I wish I could help, but unfortunately I only know a few Japanese swear word taught to me by the exchange student back in high school.

It really looks like just painting instructions for a scale model and no translation is needed for that. Though I have to admit, having assembled enough Japanese models in my life, I have often been very curious as to why there is so much text on the page for so little.

Also, "Cladle"?!?! There's no way that was translated wrong. Someone in the illustration department was surely having fun that day.

Here's a picture of the finished model:

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2010, 08:19 AM

Yes, putting it together will be no issue at all -- we're mainly curious about what's being said. Paint colors, etc., are clearly stated -- but we wonder all the other text is going on about.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2010, 11:25 AM

I believe the heading warns that you should read everything before starting assembly, you should cut the plastic parts with a knife or a "nipper"... As for the "cladle" mb this is an honest mistake. Crearry you understand?

The katakana is just a phonetic pronunciation of the colors / parts of the English counterparts:
フラットブラック = flat black
フラットブラウン = flat brown
オリーブドラブ = olive drab
My Kanji recollection is somewhat lost (Yeah booze!). I can understand some of it, but not enough to translate. I can probably get someone to do it, but it'll be a couple of days.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2010, 11:38 AM

According to the Chinese meaning of some of the Kanji, header number one (next to the big black box with white “1”) says “Assembly of the automated blunderbuss itself”.

I had to look up ‘blunderbuss’. What the hell kinda name for a gun is that? If it’s got shooting and killing capabilities, I do not want you blundering around it!

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I wish I could help, but unfortunately I only know a few Japanese swear word taught to me by the exchange student back in high school.

It really looks like just painting instructions for a scale model and no translation is needed for that. Though I have to admit, having assembled enough Japanese models in my life, I have often been very curious as to why there is so much text on the page for so little.

Also, "Cladle"?!?! There's no way that was translated wrong. Someone in the illustration department was surely having fun that day.

Here's a picture of the finished model:

That looks like one of the 4 50-cal that were installed on the B-52G Defensive Fire Control turret.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2010, 03:37 PM

As written across the top of the image I posted, it's a Browning M2.

I'm particularly interested in what's being said in the two areas right below Box 1.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 03:57 PM

On the top it says:

"We have your toe. Send $1,000,000 to us if you want it back."

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2010, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
On the top it says:

Win!

iM@k
Senior User
Jan 23, 2010, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
On the top it says:

The next few lines after I believe roughly translate as: "Set up us the bomb. All your base are belong to us. You have no chance to survive make your time."
What, me worry?

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2010, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I believe the heading warns that you should read everything before starting assembly, you should cut the plastic parts with a knife or a "nipper"... As for the "cladle" mb this is an honest mistake. Crearry you understand?

The katakana is just a phonetic pronunciation of the colors / parts of the English counterparts:
フラットブラック = flat black
フラットブラウン = flat brown
オリーブドラブ = olive drab
My Kanji recollection is somewhat lost (Yeah booze!). I can understand some of it, but not enough to translate. I can probably get someone to do it, but it'll be a couple of days.
That would be great if you could find someone to help out — I'd very much appreciate it!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
As written across the top of the image I posted, it's a Browning M2.

I'm particularly interested in what's being said in the two areas right below Box 1.
Do you mean below the number 1?

The bit at the left tells you to pull the piece off the runner as shown (that might be more detailed, but I can't read enough of the Kanji).

The bit to the right of that says something about a "gate", but I can't read the rest.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2010, 06:06 AM

I can only read a few words:

"Gun metal"
"Flat brown"
"Do not cement"
"Olive drab"

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 24, 2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
That looks like one of the 4 50-cal that were installed on the B-52G Defensive Fire Control turret.
It was my understanding that the last .50 cal tailgun setup in the 52 was in the D model, and when they relocated the gunner to the lower deck they replaced all the guns with 20mms.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
That would be great if you could find someone to help out — I'd very much appreciate it!
Here's the translation, thanks to the downed kamikaze I keep in my dungeon.
I have no doubt some of this is lost in translation, so let me know if anything is too weird! Good luck.

(I ignored the painting instructions)

Box 1: How to make gun
(from left to right)

Remove part from plastic runner, make the gate smooth on gun body.

part 6 note: if you want the breech open use part 6 in the upright position, to keep it closed keep it flat.
part 1 & 3: choose one of the barrels - 1 or 3.
part 2: If you're not using the body, use the spare barrel.
part 11: put ammo belt into hot water to soften it, then you can bend it into shape otherwise it will break.
Note: the bullet color is Gold Leaf, not Gold as indicated in English.

The bottom center of box 1 shows a picture of the body assembly indicating how parts 5 & 4 should look.

Box 2: Ammo Box Assembly, A & B
There are two styles of Ammo can, A & B.
#3 indicates that you can assemble two different types of cradles - parts z29 & z28, and z17 & z18 are the two sets.

Box 3:
#4: first type of cradle (ammo can A), #5 second style of cradle (ammo can B).

Both indicate that parts z16 & z20 need to fit properly, if it is too loose crush/pinch nib on z27 to make a better fit.

#6: To attach to a Sherman Tank, you must make a plastic mount 3.6mm x 3.7mm. For any other vehicle you must make your own custom size mount.
( Last edited by osiris; Jan 25, 2010 at 11:59 AM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules