Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Slot Loading iMac 350Mhz (just a couple of faqs)

Slot Loading iMac 350Mhz (just a couple of faqs)
60-hz
Jul 21, 2003, 08:17 AM

Tonight i am picking up a Slot Loading BlueBerry iMac 350Mhz for my mum and would just like to ask you guys a couple of questions.

The iMac has OS X and 9 installed, although i want to install 10.2 (jaguar) on the system. Will i have any problems installing Jaguar? Should i erase the HD before i install 10.2?

As for memory it has 192MB installed will this be ok for running 10.2 for now until i add more memory?

Any other info or tips about the Slot Loading iMac is much appreciated.

Thanks
" 17" iMAC 1Ghz 768MB x4 Superdrive"

slider
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 09:20 AM

Well, I would do a clean install of the OS if your getting if from someone else, start out with a nice clean slate. 192MB will get you by for now, but definately up the memory as soon as you can as Jag loves ram. I'd drop a 512 in there and can that 64MB chip. These were the frist iMacs to have 100Mhz as it's sysbus, it should run OS X just fine, but really up the ram for the best performance.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 09:25 AM

I always do a clean install on an old computer; you never know what cruft might be on there. And the hard drive on that iMac may not be very large.

RAM is so cheap now I'd recommend adding a 512MB chip. You can replace either stick, so pop a 512 in the slot where the 64 is now.

60-hz  (op)
Jul 21, 2003, 09:38 AM

Yeah i'll ditch the 64MB of Ram and through in a 512MB like you guys have suggested.

Also whats this about Firmware updates before updating to OS X? The iMac already has X running on it so i dont need any Firmware updates right? (someone please confirm this) As the machine only comes with X and 9 installed and no system restore disks what so ever.

I managed to get this iMac for around $300 do you think i got a good deal? Also it supposedly has a Slot Loading CD/RW in it but i am sure you canont get a CD/RW in the Blueberry iMac unless someone fitted it that is? (here's hoping they think its a Blueberry machine but it is a Indigo iMac :

Actaully I'll know in about 4hrs from now !!

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 11:08 AM

According to this, you need to install a firmware update before installing 10.2.

None of the fruit-flavored models had CD-RW optical drives; those came with the patterned cases in 2001. I think the faster (400MHz) flavored models had DVD-ROM, but the 350 was CD-ROM only, IIRC. But you can find slot-loading CD-RW drives and swap them out. If you've got money to burn, you can even put a SuperDrive in there.

I don't think there's an appreciable hardware difference between the Blueberry and Indigo models. The Indigo had a slightly better video system (still just 8MB) and maybe a bigger hard drive. One other point is that I don't THINK the 350MHz Blueberry (or the 350MHz Indigo, for that matter) had FireWire ports. The faster ("DV") models in both lines did.

Wait, there is a difference: the 350 Indigo has no AirPort connection on the motherboard. The Blueberry does.

60-hz  (op)
Jul 21, 2003, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the info from everyone. I'll be sure to update the firmware before i install 10.2.

I'll let you all know my impressions of the machine when i pick it up

Thanks again

slider
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 04:40 PM

Also remember that you can go ahead and run the firmware update, if it does not need it it will say so. That way you can be sure. Good luck with it.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
According to this, you need to install a firmware update before installing 10.2.

None of the fruit-flavored models had CD-RW optical drives; those came with the patterned cases in 2001. I think the faster (400MHz) flavored models had DVD-ROM, but the 350 was CD-ROM only, IIRC. But you can find slot-loading CD-RW drives and swap them out. If you've got money to burn, you can even put a SuperDrive in there.

I don't think there's an appreciable hardware difference between the Blueberry and Indigo models. The Indigo had a slightly better video system (still just 8MB) and maybe a bigger hard drive. One other point is that I don't THINK the 350MHz Blueberry (or the 350MHz Indigo, for that matter) had FireWire ports. The faster ("DV") models in both lines did.

Wait, there is a difference: the 350 Indigo has no AirPort connection on the motherboard. The Blueberry does.
You're correct, no FireWire on the 350 or DVD-ROM. And no AirPort is right too.

suprz
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 07:10 AM

i had a 350mhz slot loader myself. no firewire, and i do not believe they came with a cdrw drive, just a cd-rom drive. the 400mhz DV models came with a cd-rom/dvd drive. (unless the seller put in a aftermarket cdrw drive)
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2003, 04:41 AM

You could actually be running 10.2 for some period of time WITHOUT the firmware update. At some point down the line, though, the computer's display would crap out.

So, even with 10.2 already installed you simply need to boot into 9.2.1 or above and install the update. Simple as that.

Just in case.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2003, 05:53 AM

10.2 must be on the first 8gb.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules