Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook Owners, Could you install IntelliPoint Drivers 5.0?

New Powerbook Owners, Could you install IntelliPoint Drivers 5.0?
ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 02:23 PM

For some reason, even after I install it, I can't use my 4th and 5th buttons on my mouse.

Before, on my old Powerbook, after installing it goes into a "Other" section in System Preferences.

Now it goes into Applications, but I don't get to control my back and forth buttons.

By the way, I have a MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer.

ProcrasT8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 05:54 PM

I have a Microsoft optical Intellimouse that I'm
currently using with my Power Mac G4 at home, but I'm planning to use it with my PowerBook 12" 1GHz. It worked fine when I installed the drivers on the Power Mac, but I'll try installing the drivers on the PowerBook (I just got it today) and see if I get the same problem as you do.

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 06:26 AM

Yeah let me know.

By the way, I forgot to specify that I am running 10.2.7.

I think it is a problem with 10.2.7.

Like I said, with my old Powerbook, I never had a problem from 10.2.1 to 10.2.6 .

Thanks guys.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 07:39 AM

I would like to know this too

Also I could not find the intelli drivers on MS website. Is that where yall got them?

Force

j0nkatz
Sep 27, 2003, 09:30 AM

I am running 10.2.8 on a Rev. A 17" Powerbook.

No problems running the Intellipoint drivers. Btw, they can be found in the download section on Microsoft's web site.

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by forcelite:
I would like to know this too

Also I could not find the intelli drivers on MS website. Is that where yall got them?

Force
Yeah, you gotta go to the Mouse Website.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s/default.aspx

j0nkatz: Do you have the 4th and 5th buttons on your mouse? (The back and forth button.)

ProcrasT8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 10:11 PM

I just got myself the new PowerBook 12" and it is sweet! Anyway, as I have mentioned before, I have a Microsoft optical Intellimouse that I'm using with the PowerBook. I could have replied earlier but was too preoccupied testing out the new PowerBook. I installed Intellipoint drivers 5.0 and it installed without any problems whatsoever. Like on the Power Mac G4 that I have at home, it was installed under the "other" section in System Preferences. I have no problem with any of the extra options, such as setting the fourth and fifth buttons, assigning buttons for individual applications, etc. Since the PowerBook is running 10.2.7, that can't be the problem like you mentioned, ae86_16v. I suppose you could try downloading the drivers again and if that doesn't work, try looking at the property list attributes in your Library folder for the mouse. Something there could be throwing you off. Hope this helps.

ProcrasT8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Yeah, you gotta go to the Mouse Website.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s/default.aspx

j0nkatz: Do you have the 4th and 5th buttons on your mouse? (The back and forth button.)
I must admit looking for the drivers for the mouse isn't as obvious as I thought it would be from the Microsoft website. When I installed the drivers for the mouse before, I wasn't sure which drivers I should install since they have different drivers for different type of mouse. I wanted to take a look at a picture of the mouse that I have for the drivers that I'm installing, to make sure it's the right one. At that time, I kept forgetting what specific model of Microsoft mouse I have (fortunately, I remembered it now).

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2003, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by ProcrasT8:
I installed Intellipoint drivers 5.0 and it installed without any problems whatsoever. Like on the Power Mac G4 that I have at home, it was installed under the "other" section in System Preferences. I have no problem with any of the extra options, such as setting the fourth and fifth buttons, assigning buttons for individual applications, etc. Since the PowerBook is running 10.2.7, that can't be the problem like you mentioned, ae86_16v. I suppose you could try downloading the drivers again and if that doesn't work, try looking at the property list attributes in your Library folder for the mouse. Something there could be throwing you off. Hope this helps.
Hmmm. . . . That is weird. Under your Applications folder do you see "Microsoft Mouse" there too?

What should I look for on property list attributes? I am not familiar with this.

I have installed it twice already. Maybe I should dump all the preference files and try again.

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 05:21 AM

Has anyone else experienced this yet with their new Powerbooks?

Forum Links
Forum Rules