Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Rev. C PowerBook Reviews

12" Rev. C PowerBook Reviews
troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 10:04 AM

I thought it might be nice if we could have a central thread that soemone could go to see reviews of the 12" Rev. C PowerBook instead of jumping through many different threads. I didn't see one of these threads already created, but sorry if it's a duplicate.

For those that have purchased a new 12" PowerBook, could you please post the following:

1.) Specs
2.) Pros
3.) Cons
4.) Summary

Thanks!
Troy Murray

krassy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by troymurray:
1.) Specs
2.) Pros
3.) Cons
4.) Summary
1.) 1.33GHz G4 768MB RAM Combo Drive 60GB HD
2.+3.) i chose the 12" because i wanted a full featured but totally portable computer. and it fits in best to give me all i want. for the price it's the best valued mac i ever bought. the new processor is very good in a) bring the performance i need in some situations and b) save enough power if i need it to. battery life time is between 2 and 5 hours (2 for gaming, 5 for infrequent office work with minimal processing power) and i think this is fine. it gets warm but not hot. no dead pixels, display is good enough for my work. i use it at work with a second display connected in dual-display mode which is also very fine. it comes with all the power to fully replace my old desktop mac. it looks cool and relative resistent agains scratches...
4.) it's cool.

cheers

Zim
Senior User
May 3, 2004, 11:12 AM

For those that have purchased a new 12" PowerBook, could you please post the following:

1.) Specs
2.) Pros
3.) Cons
4.) Summary

Thanks!
1) stock + 512M RAM comingin the mail this week.
2) small, portable, seems like decent speed (G4/800 desktop as previous)
3) rather warm on bottom when charging, still not a trackpad fan (they hate my fingers, too dry I think)
4) good, but not overwhelming purchase. Will enjoy the freedom from a desktop, and hoping the 512M RAM will show a nice improvement.

Mike

doublep
Forum Regular
May 3, 2004, 03:20 PM

1) 12" PB 1.33 GHz 5400 rpm drive and 1,25 Go Ram
2) Fast! Xbench score = 126. Well over my previous TiBook score of 102. The difference is noticeable.
3) Only one problem: one dead (green) pixel.
4) Summary: fantastic machine. A bit upset about the dead pixel...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 04:25 PM

1) Specs: Stock 12" 1.33GHz combo drive model + 512MB module from Crucial.
2) Pros: Tiny, light, plenty fast, dual display support, WiFi/BT standard, and cheap ($1399 educational discount price).
3) Cons: None yet.
4) Summary: Replaces an ageing 600MHz iBook as my on-the-road machine. Smaller and much sleeker than the iBook. Standard HD is plenty fast. 768MB RAM is ample for big PowerPoint/Keynote presentations. The standard AirPort card saved me nearly $100, too. Screen is not bad at all (some people have posted less than favorable reviews about the screen). Could be a bit brighter, but that's my only comment.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 08:50 PM

1.3 ghz rev c 12" Powerbook with superdrivewith 256k ram chip (original) plus one 512 ram chip from Crucial.

pros: very fast, nice machine.

con: screen sucks to be honest.

I thought I was adjusting to it, but it keeps disapointing me in terms of just being a really sh!ty display compared to the awesome lcd in my old 500 mhz icebook.

really bad distortion when viewing from the sides and to view type (noticible mostly on Yahoo email) you have to push the LCD lid to about a 45 degree angle away from you to be able to read the type....especially at the bottom of the screen.

Then you have to pull the lcd back towards you if you want to look at photoes.

I'm on the road traveling now, and today burned 10 dvd's on this powerbook, so its doing what I needed it to do, and at 4x dvd burning, very fast!

The screen is no worse than most other cheap lcd screens out there.

5 years ago it would have been rated fantastic.. but its odd that a 3 year old ibook has a better screen.

I don't know what to think, but I would absolutely not buy a 12" powerbook until Apple comes out with a better screen unless you really do need it for work reasons (as I do).

As soon as Apple comes out with a improved LCD screen on the 12"'s this powerbook I'm on will be sold off immediately.

I think its pretty sad to have a Mac only a few days and I am already entertaining thoughts on how soon I can get rid of it.

If the tech specs of the chip/hard drive/dvd burning capability weren't awesome I'd get rid of this thing, but because it DOES do what I need it to do I will keep it.

Just not overly thrilled by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd rate it a A+ (excluding the moniter)
including the moniter I rate it a C+ overall.

Switched2Mac
Baninated
May 3, 2004, 09:57 PM

I bought the 12" because:

1. It was cheaper.
2. It was more portable.
3. The display was nice.

I love this little laptop!

The only drawback is the HEAT.

The melting of the Ross Glacier might be attributed to a dozen polar scientists who left their 12" PB's on overnight.

Yes, small laptop means less space and surface area to dissipate the heat. But, he can sure get toasty top and bottom.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
1.3 ghz rev c 12" Powerbook with superdrivewith 256k ram chip (original) plus one 512 ram chip from Crucial.

pros: very fast, nice machine.

con: screen sucks to be honest.

I'd rate it a A+ (excluding the moniter)
including the moniter I rate it a C+ overall.
I wonder if there are two batches of screens floating around, because the display on my new 12" is tons better than my 2.5yr old 600MHz iBook. The screen is sufficiently sharp - and I'm used to using an Apple Cinema Display, too. The only thing I wish is for a little bit brighter backlight to make outdoor viewing easier.

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2004, 05:13 PM

bump
Troy Murray

ginalee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2004, 07:30 PM

Ok, seeing I got my "baby" tonite, I'll post my first impressions

1.) 1.33GHz G4 512MB RAM SuperDrive 60GB HD
2.) Neat, cute, compact, lightweight, slim, fast, NO HEAT, barely lukewarm in my case, no dead pixels, airport setup was a charm, battery has been holding out for hours (sorry forgot to look at the clock)
3.) Can't think of any at the moment (honestly)
4.) Great purchase for someone like me - whose main activities are surfing, light/hobby design stuff, writing, music, maintaining hobby website thus nothing major

My husband's already eyein' it with envy

P.S. This is a postscript cos it isn't really a con - it scratches easily - looks like the next purchase is a case (reminiscent of the ipod experience)
"I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them."
proud of my site | http://www.ipodlinks.com

WizOSX
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 03:24 PM

troymurray and doublep--

You each put in the 1gb DIMM. Have you tried using the Airport Extreme wireless for extended periods of time yet? Have there been any problems--specifically losing the singal after a while.

YoungTurk
May 8, 2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
troymurray and doublep--

You each put in the 1gb DIMM. Have you tried using the Airport Extreme wireless for extended periods of time yet? Have there been any problems--specifically losing the singal after a while.
No problems here. 1 gb chip, sold by Tekserve, NYC, made by Samsung.

YoungTurk
PB G4 12" 1.33 ghtz 1.25 RAM/80 HD/AE/SuperDrive, FP iMac 800 (Superdrive), Silver iPod Mini, iBook 600 Combo, PMac G4 733 (Superdrive), Snow iMac 600

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2004, 09:31 PM

I haven't received my unit to try it yet, I will have it on Monday and then I'll install the 1GB SODIMM I purchased from 18004Memory to see if it has problems. It, like YoungTurk's, is Samsung. I saw both of the threads on this topic in the Apple support area. Strange.

-t
Troy Murray

h00ligan
Forum Regular
May 8, 2004, 10:23 PM

well.. as many of you know i just got a 12" powerbook. Couple days into it and here are my thoughts, good and bad.

Pro's :

I love the keyboard, it is very natural and helps me to avoid my ever present typos.. a lot. Touch typing on my athlon 64 laptop is a lot worse then this, i can write very well on this which is one of the primary reasons i got it. most of this will be touch typed.. something i have a lot of problems doin on the other laptop.

The weight. Man I love just being able to fold this up and then tote it to wherever, even if it's just the couch, or the bed.. it's great, again compared to my pc laptop which is just under 8 lbs. It is also a lot mroe solid then the ibooks i was playing around with, whcih seemed odd to me, but it doesn't flex anywhere near as much. It weighs less then most of my computer books. Even compared to my tibook -> which felt very felxy and delicate when i moved it.

OS X - pretty self explanatory. Aside from needing some finder speed improvements, I love this OS. It is also nice and dependable.

Fit and Finish - A+ on this one as well.. everything feels very very solid.

Battery life - If you can deal with a 33% screen (hard on this machine see the cons) you can get about 5 hours out of it.. when I did a slow drain to calibrate my battery, It took 5:40 to drain completely. Realistic full boar use with powersaving features, but airport ield about 4 hours. About what my Tibook could get. I would like to see if they could get a better battery in there, but for now it's probably the top of the mac portables.. so I list it as a pro.

Neutral -

Heat - it gets warm - but not super hot. if you want a COOL running machine, thsi isn't it.. that said, i won't be suing for burning may lap

Cons:

Far and away the biggest gripe about this machine is the sub par quality of the screen. I thought after calibration I had it licked.. but I STAND CORRECTED. This screen is AWEFUL. The viewing angle is terrible, and the brightness is terrible. Additionally it isn't all that sharp.

I mad the mistake of looking at both my 3 yr old ibm t20 and my new emachines (mad by arima) and after looking at either one of those, it's easy to see how poor this screen is. If you want good color representation or a wide viewing angle, skip the 12", it's just dreadful.

The screen is SO bad, i am considering returning this machine. I just don't know if it will be terribly usable for me as it is actually THAT BAD.

That's about the only con i can find. I think it's truly a pity that apple hasn't stepped up and started using a better screen in these machines. The Tibook screen and even the aluminum 15" are SO MUCH BETTER.

Anyway, 48 hrs of use, those are my thoughts.

All things considered, right now if you can afford it , i would go with the 15" it isn't much more weight, and the screen alone justifies the price increase. i look at it now and for the same specced 15" it would have been about 500 $ more. Well, if I have to eat the restock fee, that goes up quite a bit.

Anyway, just thought i would post on it.

-h

sbdaigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 11:27 PM

I just help my buddy set up his new 12 revC and the screen compared to my revB is awesome. I don�t get it. I am about to get a revC and I will keep returning it until I get one like this. The drag is he has on stuck red pixal - but for the quality, I would live with that. These are my thoughts and if there are those who say the screen is bad, then there must be two. My revB is yellow compared to his.
MacBook Pro 15’er - 120 HD, 2gig Ram

h00ligan
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 12:37 AM

hmm interesting thought.. maybe there are 2.. my screen is very white.. but not bright.

if your screen is yellow, perhaps you need to run through the calibration. Maybe tomorrow i will take mine down to the apple store and compare it to the display model... i don't however think there is anything "wrong" with it.. i juts think the screen is not that bright.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by h00ligan:
Cons:

Far and away the biggest gripe about this machine is the sub par quality of the screen.
Yup..agree..

I've had my 12" rev c powerbook for a week and a half now..and the screen is just completely awful.

Other than the screen it is a great machine..but the screen it self has been a real downer.

I have calibrated and calibrated using supercal and it is just not possible to get it anywhere near where you would think a Apple Laptop should be in terms of quality.

Other than the screen it is great though.

but the screen is AWFUL.

philz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 04:13 AM

Is the screen noticeably different than the Rev B PowerBook?

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2004, 05:49 AM

if your screen is bad, call apple or go to an apple store. i'm sure that they will do everything they can to make it right.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by EdipisReks:
if your screen is bad, call apple or go to an apple store. i'm sure that they will do everything they can to make it right.
The screen is not "bad".. just below average.

It works fine to spec, and looks ok if you look at it dead on from a perrfect angle.

I took mine down to the Apple store in SOHO here in NYC and compared it to new powerbooks and ibooks there and that is just how they look. I also compared it to a Rev A 12" powerbook at Tekserve here in NYC and the screen is identical.

The main reason I'm dissapointed so much is my nearly 3 year old white ibook screen is MUCH nicer. Better viewing angle, and no magenta ghosting of the image from the side and uniform contrast from top to bottom.

It would not have been an issue to me had I not had such a nice screen on my old ibook and have to face acclimating to such a poorer quality screen in comparison.

To see the comparision with my old ibook:

the computer is great other than the very dissapointing screen.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2004, 11:31 AM

Let me get this straight: the rev. C's display is THE SAME as the displays on rev. A's and rev. B's? But the display on the rev. C is horrible.

I'm confused because I have a rev. A. and while the display isn't the best (in comparison to a Apple Cinema Display LCD or something like that), I am pretty happy with it. It is certainly am improvement over first-generation Tibooks.

If the rev. C display is the same as the rev. A display, why are there so many complaints?
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 12:25 PM

I'm not sure.

I compared to a display Rev A 12" powerbook (at Tekserve on their sales floor counter) in NYC and it has the same magenta distortion problem as my new Rev C.

Its also the same on new ibooks...also compared to one other Rev C at the Apple Store in soho and 2 12" new ibooks there.

It is like the outer "glass" that covers the LCD panel is magenta when viewed from the side only.

Again..the display is acceptable if you look at it dead on from just the perfect angle.

Some have said that Apple uses different LCD manufactorers so perhaps these new Powerbooks and Ibooks I have seen including mine are just from a crappy vender... and those that are not having problems are from another vender.

I do want to emphacize though that it is perhaps not defective.. just very poor in terms of what one would expect.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2004, 03:08 PM

This is quite bizarre. My rev. A. actually has a wide viewing angle and definitely not any "magenta distortion".

You could be reading into this to much by saying there could be a vendor-specific issue here, or that it goes back to the LCD manufacturers. Wouldn't it make more sense that you have just stumbled upon some defective laptops?

I'm thinking of picking up a rev. C. myself so now I want to really make sure it looks okay before I pick one up.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
This is quite bizarre. My rev. A. actually has a wide viewing angle and definitely not any "magenta distortion".

You could be reading into this to much by saying there could be a vendor-specific issue here, or that it goes back to the LCD manufacturers. Wouldn't it make more sense that you have just stumbled upon some defective laptops?

I'm thinking of picking up a rev. C. myself so now I want to really make sure it looks okay before I pick one up.
will let you know on Wednesday for sure...will be able to compare and photograph with a Rev A, and two Rev B powerbooks for comparison so I will know then and post photos.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 10:25 PM

All very interesting. As I posted earlier, I believe there must be two different screen manufacturers being used here. On my rev. C's screen, white is white (not yellow, not pink) and there is no more off-angle distortion than for any other 12"-sized display. The screen is bright, but not super bright - perhaps not enough room for the brightest cold cathode backlight inside the slim screen lid. The screen itself, at least in my case, is perfectly sharp.

I'm pretty convinced that Apple is using two different screen vendors. Not unusual by any stretch (plenty of companies do this, and Apple's done it before as well - anyone remember the pinkish Pismo displays?), but surprising that they seem to differ so widely in quality.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
will let you know on Wednesday for sure...will be able to compare and photograph with a Rev A, and two Rev B powerbooks for comparison so I will know then and post photos.
Just a quick comment, but that previous photo you posted isn't a fair comparison between the two - the viewing angle to the iBook is much less than that to the PB (at a rough approximation, I'd say it's 30 deg to the iBook versus 45 deg to the PowerBook). You ought to photo them separately to achieve the same viewing angle (e.g. fix your camera location and put each computer in the same place - one after the other - at the same angle in front of it), otherwise you're wasting your time.
( Last edited by JKT; May 10, 2004 at 06:26 AM. )

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2004, 11:27 AM

anyone get the CTO 80GB drive? is it loud?

-- james
( Last edited by jamesa; May 10, 2004 at 11:43 AM. )

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 11:29 AM

The only CTO option for hard drives that I see in the Apple Store is 5400 not 7200 on the PowerBooks.

-t
Troy Murray

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2004, 11:44 AM

The only CTO option for hard drives that I see in the Apple Store is 5400 not 7200 on the PowerBooks.

-t
you beat me to my edit. talking about the 5400, 80gb option... thanks for the correction

-- james

WizOSX
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 09:02 PM

Got my 12"/SD today.

1.) Specs--Superdrive, 256mb so far (trying to decide whether to pop for the 1gb stick or not), 60gb.
2.) Pros-- So far it is perfect. Screen is much better than I expected, considering that some have been lukewarm on it. Very fast, superquiet. Outstanding!
3.) Cons--absolutely none so far.

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 01:46 AM

Well I received my unit on Monday and have been working with it for the last day or so. Here is my take:

1.) G4 1.33 / 1.25GB RAM / 80GB 5400 RPM
2.) Pros:
System seems very snappy! Works great with or without an external
monitor/keyboard/mouse. Nice battery life, during my inital
battery calibration I went over 3 hours and that was formatting
the system, re-install OS X and my applications. AE seems to work
alright, I haven't had any "drops" that I can identify. Happy with
my purchase.
Unit gets warm, but not fire hot like my old PeeCee laptop.
3.) Cons:
Had trouble connecting my Firewire/USB2 external hard drive, the
screen would darken and tell me that I had to restart my computer
over and over and over! Apple support suggested removing the
RAM. I was worried about a bad FIreWire port, but then my iPod
worked just fine. Tonight I figured out it was because the FireWire
drive was formatted as NTFS. Once I switched it over to FAT32
then it works just fine.

I'm using an ethernet cable to connect the PowerBook to a hub
which is attached to my XP Home system running Internet
Connection Sharing with my DirecWAY one-way system. For some
reason my browser and downloads, just on the Mac, stall all the time,
VERY ANNOYING! I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust the
TCP/IP settings to see if it can resolve the problem. Any other
PC clients on the network work just fine.

SuperDrive makes this horrible sound with a put a CD/DVD in
that sounds like it's destroying the disk. Just on insert, not when
accessing it though.
Troy Murray

krimsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2004, 10:20 AM

Hi folks!

Got my PB last week, it's my first Mac. Having used PCs since the good old 286, I got more and more frustrated with Windows, and Linux does not work (yet) flawlessly...

Here goes...

1.) PowerBook G4 12", 1.33 GHz PPC, 512 MB Ram, 60 Gig HDD

2.) Light-weight, small, stable computer. Nice to use and to look at. I mainly use it as a jukebox for my huge collection of (legally bought) CDs, for Internet and developing (Java). I might buy some games for it as soon as I can afford it...

3.) First of all: This PowerBook was quite expensive, compared to x86 notebooks. I paid ~1900 Euros for it, including student discount. Compared to US prices it is about 600 Euros more...
HDD is slowing down the system (4200 rpm), OS is still new to me (but I get the hang of it). Why does Apple only include one button, although Mac OS uses context menus??? Well, I use my Logitech Trackman anyway.
Oh, and the close right corner of the PowerBook doesn't seem to be flat.

4.) Keeping in mind that I was perfectly happy with my last Gericom Notebook for about two weeks, I probably shouldn't be too enthusiastic about it, but so far I really love it.

krimsen
...waiting for OpenOffice to release a native OS X version...

doublep
Forum Regular
May 22, 2004, 10:51 AM

Hi!

I have the "fully loaded" version of the small PB. (80 gig 5400 rpm frive and 1,256 Go of RAM with Superdrive).

It's a great machine, very fast but it gets hot quickly (noisy fan).

I used to have a 1 Ghz 15 inch Powerbook which was upgraded to a 7200 rpm. The interesting thing is that the drive in the newer machine almost matches the drive in the older one.

Here's a comparison of the two xbench benchmarks:

Old 15" PB 1 Ghz with 7200 rpm 60 Gig drive:
Results 105.09
System Info
Xbench Version 1.1.3
System Version 10.3.1 (7C107)
Physical RAM 1024 MB
Model PowerBook3,5
Processor PowerPC G4 @ 1.00 GHz
Version 7455 (Apollo) v3.2
L1 Cache 32K (instruction), 32K (data)
L2 Cache 256K @ 1.00 GHz
L3 Cache 1024K @ 201 MHz
Bus Frequency 134 MHz
Video Card ATY,RV250M9
Drive Type HTS726060M9AT00
CPU Test 119.69
GCD Loop 113.55 4.43 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 118.87 429.88 Mflop/sec
AltiVec Basic 122.65 3.56 Gflop/sec
vecLib FFT 125.28 1.94 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 118.74 4.75 Mops/sec
Thread Test 87.16
Computation 63.51 857.34 Kops/sec, 4 threads
Lock Contention 138.89 1.74 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 98.76
System 102.59
Allocate 648.31 422.89 Kalloc/sec
Fill 82.46 656.39 MB/sec
Copy 64.22 321.08 MB/sec
Stream 95.20
Copy 90.74 663.29 MB/sec [altivec]
Scale 90.91 670.89 MB/sec [altivec]
Add 98.38 629.63 MB/sec [altivec]
Triad 101.71 621.44 MB/sec [altivec]
Quartz Graphics Test 137.46
Line 122.22 3.11 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 137.36 9.66 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 142.02 3.27 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 128.54 1.40 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 164.19 2.68 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 94.69
Spinning Squares 94.69 66.26 frames/sec
User Interface Test 184.75
Elements 184.75 59.42 refresh/sec
Disk Test 74.57
Sequential 74.60
Uncached Write 81.89 34.13 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 56.44 23.11 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 116.70 18.47 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 66.14 26.72 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 74.55
Uncached Write 63.14 0.95 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 82.27 18.55 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 80.16 0.53 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 75.82 15.60 MB/sec [256K blocks]

New Powerbook 12" 1,33 Ghz 80 Go drive 5400 rpms 1,256 Go RAM:

Results 126.46
System Info
Xbench Version 1.1.3
System Version 10.3.3 (7G33)
Physical RAM 1280 MB
Model PowerBook6,4
Processor PowerPC G4 @ 1.33 GHz
L1 Cache 32K (instruction), 32K (data)
L2 Cache 512K @ 1.33 GHz
Bus Frequency 167 MHz
Video Card GeForce FX Go5200
Drive Type TOSHIBA MK8026GAX
CPU Test 159.86
GCD Loop 154.73 6.04 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 164.00 593.08 Mflop/sec
AltiVec Basic 161.92 4.70 Gflop/sec
vecLib FFT 164.91 2.56 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 154.40 6.18 Mops/sec
Thread Test 117.14
Computation 84.07 1.13 Mops/sec, 4 threads
Lock Contention 193.09 2.42 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 127.16
System 136.25
Allocate 851.50 555.43 Kalloc/sec
Fill 145.46 1157.83 MB/sec
Copy 71.58 357.91 MB/sec
Stream 119.21
Copy 114.60 837.76 MB/sec [altivec]
Scale 120.96 892.71 MB/sec [altivec]
Add 122.28 782.56 MB/sec [altivec]
Triad 119.27 728.76 MB/sec [altivec]
Quartz Graphics Test 154.91
Line 138.11 3.52 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 126.77 8.92 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 149.73 3.45 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 165.37 1.80 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 226.12 3.69 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 127.93
Spinning Squares 127.93 89.52 frames/sec
User Interface Test 205.67
Elements 205.67 66.15 refresh/sec
Disk Test 73.73
Sequential 88.96
Uncached Write 95.63 39.86 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 63.90 26.17 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 182.42 28.88 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 74.77 30.21 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 62.96
Uncached Write 51.16 0.77 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 62.26 14.04 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 68.36 0.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 75.18 15.47 MB/sec [256K blocks]

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2004, 01:13 PM

I just got a new 12" rev c with the 5400rpm drive option and I have to say I'm blown away. This thing reminds me of a swiss watch as far as build construction/drool factor go.

And before you dismiss me as some star-struck newbie, I've been using macs for the past 15 years. This is rating up there with my Pismo as far as great machines go.

I just love it.

-- james

rugerpower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2004, 12:39 AM

any heat issues with a 5400rpm drive on a rev C 12" powerbook?

pgolf
May 26, 2004, 01:35 PM

Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2004, 07:29 PM

love this machine. it took a while for apple to get it right. I've got the 12 inch screen with the BTO hard drive 80 gig 5400rpm. I have 768 mb Ram. I do a lot of video work and the machine is performing very well.Someone told me that it would have been better to have 1 gig of Ram for Final Cut. With Final Cut 4 I am able to digitize in and output to tape with the pwerbook without flaw.

The machine gets warm but not hot. I had a 12 inch rev B in my possession and i feel this machine is definately quieter and cooler.

There is one dead pixel but it is greenish and it is in the far lower right corner of the screen which is probably the best place for that to be. I had to return a pwerbook before this one because of a dead pixel near the center of the screen and that was white and that was bad news. lucky for me that the ram slot did not work on that one and was able to get exchange. The pixel thing was a bummer and am very glad to have gotten rid of that machine.This is acceptable.

These are incredible machines, near magical. I use airport wireless witht he Apple Base Station and although it took a while to set up with all the right entries the wireless is working near flawlessly. I listen to Free Speech Radio on the wireless and its' so good to get non corporate news and news from Europe all over my house. American media companies are snowing us so it is refreshing to get the Euro and Progressive PoV's.

I'm having no problem with screen resolution. Yes I have to be centered in order to get full resolution but that goes with the territory with LCD screens, n'est pas? The colours seem true and brilliant. take care Mel

ManxStef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2004, 08:55 AM

I'm using an ethernet cable to connect the PowerBook to a hub which is attached to my XP Home system running Internet Connection Sharing with my DirecWAY one-way system. For some reason my browser and downloads, just on the Mac, stall all the time, VERY ANNOYING! I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust the TCP/IP settings to see if it can resolve the problem. Any other PC clients on the network work just fine.
Yeah, I've had a few problems with Powerbooks and certain switches/hubs, so it might be that? Easiest way to sort this problem is to manually configure the Ethernet settings:

Go to the System Preferences... Network, pick "Built-in Ethernet" from the Show dropdown and go to the Ethernet tab. Now change this from "Automatically" to "Manually (Advanced)". Try changing the speed and duplex settings: 100 and half-dup. are the ones that usually work for me.

This may not be the problem you're having but might be worth a try?

Forum Links
Forum Rules