Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Is here!

iPhone Is here!
tomzo22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 04:11 PM

Absolutely amazed at this product! Shame about the wait on release dates. Any other views?

(not sure if i have missed thread on this)

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2007, 04:19 PM

Only things holding me back are the release date and the Cingular carrier! Hate that they went with Cingular! Otherwise, I am there! May bite the bullet in July, anyway (my current contract is up then).
Mary

ehunt
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 04:24 PM

Looks great, watched all the clips on the site but none showed the iCal in action, use the calender alot in my Treo! Maybe later they will add one. But I was thinking a second model would be coming with a keyboard but the touchscreen keypad looks great! Hopefully they release in Canada the same time as the US!! Lookiing forward to getting my hands on one!
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

buffswin
Jan 9, 2007, 04:26 PM

If you look at the screenshots-- there is definitely an "iCal" application.

brokenbells
Jan 9, 2007, 04:26 PM

The device is amazing. Cant wait to get my hands on it.

Its a dream come true and the bluetooth headset is just the way i always wanted a headset to be, small and simple, and not bulky and flashy like the ones available now.

Roll over Nokias and Motorolas, the king has just entered the building !!!

Question : I am in India, and i plan to have it got this June. Does this mean that this phone is Cingular locked and i wont be able function it with my own Sim Card here?
Vikram
-------
Dont worry that today is the last day of the world, its already tomorrow in Australia....

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by brokenbells View Post
Question : I am in India, and i plan to have it got this June. Does this mean that this phone is Cingular locked and i wont be able function it with my own Sim Card here?
Who knows for now, I'm in Canada and wonder the same thing... I want one too! And my 3G iPod is slowly dying right now, if it could hold on until summer...

tomzo22  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 04:37 PM

Also, i saw that they expect quite a large battery time for playing video. DO you reckon we will see an update in current in ipods between now and the release of the iPhone. I'm in the UK so have to wait even longer. Wish they were ready to ship now cos my dadsin the US for 2 weeks atm!!!!!!

memory-minus
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 04:53 PM

It has literally everything everyone asked for... cue the price bitching!

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 04:55 PM

Finally it's announced, but I still have so many questions....

- iChat (that is, AIM, Jabber, etc.)?
- Bluetooth tethering?
- Third-party app support? (Salling Clicker and some kind of SSH client are my main requests)
- Do the "Notes" sync with notes in Leopard Mail.app?
- Will there ever be an unlocked version?
- Will Cingular offer a discount on unlimited data plans to iPhone users? (crosses fingers...)

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 04:56 PM

i cant wait until it releases for sales as well. only downside is everyone else is eagerly waiting as well so i have a feeling it will be harder to get your hands on then the ps3 was at launch time. the only downside i see is the internal storage capacity. i currently have an 80gig video. and to drop to 4 or 8gigs on the iphone will feel like a tremendous downgrade for me since i use my ipod religiously. it goes everywhere with me. i think i might have to hold out and wait a bit to see if they release a model with a higher capacity. i dont want to have to pick and choose which songs or videos i want to bring with me everyday. i like being able to bring my entire library with me wherever i go. Other then that it seems like a stellar device. this is all coming from someone who currently has the sprint ppc-6700 and an ipod, so to be able to merge my smartphone and ipod is a dream come true. I am also happy that they included the ability to have push email support without a push email server. 4 out of 5 stars from me, it would have been 5 out of 5 if the capacity was on par with the ipod videos.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by memory-minus View Post
It has literally everything everyone asked for... cue the price bitching!
compared to the ppc-6700 from sprint, the Q, treo700 and crackberries, the price is right on par.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 05:00 PM

I am definitely going to be picking up the 8gb version. I had to extend my contract for another 2 years when I got my RAZR in dec 05 and now I am going to have to do it again. I am going to be stuck with cingular for life. Oh well.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2007, 05:02 PM

I think it looks absolutely amazing. The only real downsides for me are the price and the fact that it won't be available until June. What with all the waiting we've had to do for the iPhone (what a surprise that they actually called it that!) I wasn't really even expecting it, and I had figured that it would be sort of half-assed, but it looks like they included everything that people wanted. This is also the closest we will get to an Apple PDA, I imagine.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 05:03 PM

Interface is awesome-but phone how people are focusing so much on how cool it looks then it how functions.

Like hows the text dpt? how easy is it?
what kind of speed should we expect from the wifi 1.mbp?

come on so many questions and people already are going by what steve the great brainwasher says and not going by what to truly expect.

They focused so much on features instead of performance and ability to do "REGULAR CELL PHONE" stuff.

when they emphesize on something for too long i can only question why they dont focus on other aspects of the phone.

Maybe is because they wont tell you but is slow. The wifi is not all that responsive etc.

Some apple followers are truly sheeps in human garments.

will wait to see real life abilitys.

demonstarting how while your on the phone with a person you can transfer a photo with cool effects dont have nothing on what it will be when you have a call then you try to trasnfer a photo but another call comes in-and you recieve email etc.

A Cell phone at the end of day is a multi purpose device.

I want to see how it pairs out. We all know first revision apple products are not all that great.

So please see pass what was demonstrated steve is not a god you have to believe-he will only give you the good and let his fan base do the beta testing while spending money.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 05:04 PM

Interesting that Research In Motion's stock dropped 10+ points today while Apple's stock rose 6+ points after this annoucement.

I am disappointed that the iPhone is tied to Cingular for the initial release in the U.S. but speculate that when it will be unlocked when release for the European Market. At least that is what I hope if I am to get one myself, being a T-Mobile user.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

ehunt
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 05:13 PM

For sure...noticed the iCal widget but want to see how it syncs with the Mac! Guessing a suped up version of iSync or iTunes? Oh, totally agree on the supply and demand but I managed to get a PS3 retail with no hassle or line-up so I'm hopin' my luck holds when this bad boy is released up here!! I got tired of waiting for a widescreen ipod and went with a PSP for video but this iPhone will certainly replace my current iPod and Treo! Although I agree with one of the posts above I'll be bummed when the 2nd gen comes out 3 months later and kills it in features! Hopefully though since it's OSX based you will be able to upgrade the OS on it unlike the iPod's. Lot's of questions so hopefully more info on the site as it get's closer to release!
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 05:14 PM

is there no camera?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Javizun View Post
Interface is awesome-but phone how people are focusing so much on how cool it looks then it how functions.

come on so many questions and people already are going by what steve the great brainwasher says and not going by what to truly expect.

They focused so much on features instead of performance and ability to do "REGULAR CELL PHONE" stuff.

when they emphesize on something for too long i can only question why they dont focus on other aspects of the phone.

Maybe is because they wont tell you but is slow. The wifi is not all that responsive etc.

demonstarting how while your on the phone with a person you can transfer a photo with cool effects dont have nothing on what it will be when you have a call then you try to trasnfer a photo but another call comes in-and you recieve email etc.

I want to see how it pairs out. We all know first revision apple products are not all that great.

So please see pass what was demonstrated steve is not a god you have to believe-he will only give you the good and let his fan base do the beta testing while spending money.
Oh shut up and go buy a PC. I can't stand people that complain for no reason. Do you really think that a company that has made OSX and the iPods will make anything less with the iPhone? Seriously man, get with it.
i hate project managers.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:18 PM

^ Like it or not, he has a point.

A *cellphone* needs to work quite well as a *cellphone* before any of the extras matter. Otherwise, you'd just buy a refurb MacBook or something.

But his way of saying it was a bit brash.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

tomzo22  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 05:19 PM

[QUOTE Originally Posted by Javizun View Post

So please see pass what was demonstrated steve is not a god you have to believe-he will only give you the good and let his fan base do the beta testing while spending money.QUOTE]

Yeah, what the hell do you expect from a smartphone. Sounds like you after a laptop/pc or a perfect product. let me guess you want at least 500gb flash storage in it as well.

Anything else cos you only seem to fault the wifi? which as a cell phone, mine doesnt even have so....

Oh we dont even know if its bad or good either?!
( Last edited by tomzo22; Jan 9, 2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling)

kikkoman
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211 View Post
is there no camera?
2 meg i think

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 05:23 PM

kikkoman is correct.

Another question: what's that black rectangle on the side? Flash media slot? Buttons? Antenna window (that one would be odd, since I assume the antennas are behind the plastic panel at the bottom...)?

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
2 meg i think
correcto mundo

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
kikkoman is correct.

Another question: what's that black rectangle on the side? Flash media slot? Buttons? Antenna window (that one would be odd, since I assume the antennas are behind the plastic panel at the bottom...)?
that was the volume slider. i dont believe it has an expansion slot. which i dont see why it wouldnt, they didnt list any expansion capabilities on the tech page either.

kikkoman
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Javizun View Post
I think they nailed the regular phone stuff. The visual voice mail is better than anything out there.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 05:28 PM

I think they nailed the regular phone stuff. The visual voice mail is better than anything out there.

Apple - iPhone - Phone
+1

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:33 PM

Will it sync over the air in real time from anywhere like a Blackberry or will it require cable syncing like an iPod and a Palm?

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 05:33 PM

The iPhone has just set a new standard... Wow!
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

jpamental
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 05:34 PM

Hopefully they'll add expansion soon enough, but I'd still buy an 8gb one - maybe even a 4 (I only have 2gb of extra space on my Treo and that's fine - I wouldn't necessarily care about putting all my music on the device... My only other need is remote access to windows servers; hopefully there's enough similarity with the desktop OS X that someone will make sure that the Mac OS X version of Terminal Services client works!

boffer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 05:37 PM

what an incredible looking device!! WAY cooler than i expected....

but why oh why does it have to be Cingular....sigh

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Will it sync over the air in real time from anywhere like a Blackberry or will it require cable syncing like an iPod and a Palm?
imn assuming if you set up a network with your computers via wifi. if not then it is possible to sync via bluetooth, although it might be somehwhat slow if your doing anything other then email, notes, and contacts, etc. i sync my ppc-6700 wirelessly to my mac via bluetooth.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by boffer View Post
what an incredible looking device!! WAY cooler than i expected....

but why oh why does it have to be Cingular....sigh
it will be unlocked for the people on the other side of the pond. since they use sim cards and throw away minute cards etc. i think they will get revision b, with sim card capabilities. and once that happens then maybe we in the americas will get one also for use with other carriers. that is more then likely the reason for such a long wait for them and asia.

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2007, 05:45 PM

I expected that Apple would want to stay independent from the network companies so you don't buy a Cingular iPhone, you buy an iPhone. I think that's the way it should be, a company makes the phone, another one has the plan for their communication network. Apple would sell more like this no?

warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2007, 05:45 PM

This is awesome. Just when people start thinking the Zune will be a strong competitor, the iPhone blows it away.

I agree with previous statements about functioning like a cellphone should. At first, a great looking product seems perfect, but it needs to function well to be truly appreciated. Also, keep in mind that the demos on the website are "QuickTours" videos. Optimal, not realistic, performace is displayed. However I'm not saying that the iPhone cannot perform as well.

BTW, what is the price? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

In terms of carrier, yea it sucks that cingular is the only one, but I can see it opening up to more carriers, like the RAZR in the future.
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by warra View Post
This is awesome. Just when people start thinking the Zune will be a strong competitor, the iPhone blows it away.

I agree with previous statements about functioning like a cellphone should. At first, a great looking product seems perfect, but it needs to function well to be truly appreciated. Also, keep in mind that the demos on the website are "QuickTours" videos. Optimal, not realistic, performace is displayed. However I'm not saying that the iPhone cannot perform as well.

BTW, what is the price? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
4gig = $499
8gig = $599

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2007, 05:59 PM

Definitely cool to say the least. If this thing functions in real life anything close to the demo it will be a keeper. Hopefully, they wont run into any troubles with the FCC approvals and Cisco's trademarking of iPhone.

I did notice that here was no mention of a calendar feature which would be a pretty big missing feature. I noticed the calendar widget, but that is about as useful as a hole in the head when it comes to tracking meetings/appointments. The calendar feature on the iPod is one step up, but still cant enter data like you can on a PDA phone ala Treo. Hope I am just missing something.

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 06:11 PM

Ugh cingular, sure they may have the fewest dropped calls, but none of them come in clear, cingular sucks.

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

barang
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 06:14 PM

I'm blown away by this offering. After a couple years of so-so offerings on the iPod front, this is awesome.

The price is a little steep, but it could be that Wireless companies will offer rebates with the signing of a contract like they do on other phones.

The one downside: Cingular? Are you kidding me? It seems un-Apple to tie in so strongly with a single manufacturer. I hate Cingular.
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

chillinCHiEF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 06:19 PM

My only complaint is no 3G.

If this thing picks up wifi that shouldn’t be too big of a deal for me. I live in Philly and we have municipal wifi, probably with better coverage in the city than Cingular’s 3G at this point. Still, that’s going to expand and if I have to leave the city I’m going to be wishing I had UTMS.

Other than that, Apple nailed everything. Wifi, hard drive (how many cell phones in the US have hard drives in them?!), GSM, quad-band, touch screen, proximity sensor, accelerometer…this really is one hell of a phone. A lot of people seem to be down on the max storage size of 8GB, but that’s absolutely huge for a cell phone. There are plenty of HTC PPCs that come with storage measured in the MB and cost more than the iPhone. I’ll finally have something that syncs flawlessly with my Mac.

Being the phone junkie I am, this is probably the most excited I’ve ever been for an Apple product.

The only thing now is the long wait and having to put up with my SE which is knocking on death’s door.
---------------------------------
12" Powerbook G4 (1Ghz)
my first mac :)

scattered
Jan 9, 2007, 06:21 PM

Apple - iPhone - Phone
Agreed. I've wanted something like visual voicemail for years. I might get it just for that.

drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 06:23 PM

What people need to realize is that this isn't just a phone. It's more of a UMPC with a phone feature in it. It does so many great things that calling it a phone doesn't do it justice. I do wish Apple would have given it a better name, a more unique name. iPhone is so generic.

Anyways. I love it. It's perfect and everything that I have ever wanted. I can't wait.
i hate project managers.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 06:28 PM

waiting is what we all must do now. and hope that we can order it directly from apple with 24 hour shipping....:rolls eyes: lol

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by chillinCHiEF View Post
Other than that, Apple nailed everything. Wifi, hard drive (how many cell phones in the US have hard drives in them?!)
I'm pretty sure it's flash based and not a hard drive (and of course, this is what you would want).

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I'm pretty sure it's flash based and not a hard drive (and of course, this is what you would want).
so as far as capacity goes, flash technology is what limits it now right? or could they just put more 4gig chips in?

ebrunn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 07:09 PM

im sure that the calender stuff and the iChat will be in the fianl product. Consider yourself lucky that they even announced anything. Im sure the Cingual deal came down to the wire. Without a deal, i doubt they say anything about it. They prolly are still optimizing the final version of the software. I mean, you gotta have a calender program. But the SMS feature kinda looks like the iChat with the instant message style layout and all.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 07:22 PM

WOW! i love it. its....its.... Perfect.

wake266
Jan 9, 2007, 07:40 PM

its a good idea, but i don't think it will work. Everyone already has an ipod, thats was the zune is sucking so bad, and most anyone who wants/has a cell phone already does too. I have an 30gb ipod and a Razr, this doesn't look amazing enough to make me get rid of those gadgets, i mean come on how many of you already have an ipod and a cell phone? good idea, a little to late.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
imn assuming if you set up a network with your computers via wifi. if not then it is possible to sync via bluetooth, although it might be somehwhat slow if your doing anything other then email, notes, and contacts, etc. i sync my ppc-6700 wirelessly to my mac via bluetooth.
I mean from anywhere. I want to check off to-dos and have them show up as done on my desktop iCal without having to manually sync, just like a blackberry and outlook. If I type in an appointment on my desktop it should show up on my phone without me having to stick it in the dock to sync or be within range of my local wifi network. It should just be pushed to the phone, again like a blackberry.

I don't care if iTunes is sync'd over the air, but contacts, notes, events, and to-dos should be sync'd automatically.

kman

Cloud
Jan 9, 2007, 08:10 PM

Interesting enough the reason why they started so small with the memory is because they have a huge world to improve on as the years go by. Remeber when the first generation ipods came out the capacity was 2/4/8GBs. No look that them. It's another reason why they have such supply and demand. Its simple basics. If it initially has 3G then the next version wouldn't be any more different.

They will market the iphone just as they did the ipod. Over and over they will reinvent soemthing again and again and just make the capacity even larger and provide more batter life.

Which by the way I'm very weary off. Those battery times are always under EXTREME conditions.... I think it won't last that long.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 08:14 PM

Looks impressive but why the wait. I mean he unveiled it in January and now we will have to wait until June?

I also want to see it in action. the simplicity of dialing a number on a phone now,i.e., pushing buttons, tactile feedback is going to be hard to beat.
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules