Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > System Error 114

System Error 114
rickyirvine
Jan 5, 2004, 06:32 PM

Mac friends,
We recently acquired a lime iMac 266 with OS 9.0 on it. I downloaded upgrades from Apple's website to upgrade it to 9.2. After the installation, during Mac OS boot up, it reports to me "System Error 114" and says that I have to restart with extensions turned off. I can't use internet or much of anything without extensions turned on.

PLEASE HELP!

Thankyou,
Ricky
jesus loves you and jesus loves me too

rickyirvine  (op)
Jan 7, 2004, 09:46 AM

No help.

Apple's Support site says under the STORAGE ALLOCATOR ERRORS:

-114 memPCErr Pointer Check failed

What is pointer check? Does this have to do with the mouse used?

-Ricky
jesus loves you and jesus loves me too

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2004, 06:22 PM

Hi Ricky, sounds like you need to start troubleshooting extensions. You might have some older extensions that aren't compatible with 9.2. Here's how to start:

Apple menu->Control Panels->Extensions Manager. In there, choose the 9.2 Base Set. This only enables extensions that are part of OS 9.2 and disables the rest. You'll have your Internet back, but any third party extensions and hardware will be disabled. What you need to do it enable a few at a time while restating to check the compatibility. Once you find the one that makes the machine crash, look for a newer version of that extension.

I'm not really sure what that error messages means, but it sounds like extension problems to me. That's what I'd try.

Forum Links
Forum Rules