Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Feedbacks on UT2004 Demo

Feedbacks on UT2004 Demo (Page 2)
arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2004, 08:43 AM

1.25Ghz AlBook, Radeon 9600, 10.3.2, default settings:

1) runs like molasses. in 800x600 no less. Halo was faster. WITH pixel shaders.
2) 800x600!? where's 896x600? 1152x768? 1280x854? 1440x900? MOST OF APPLE'S DISPLAYS ARE WIDESCREEN. SUPPORT THEM.
3) failed to hide the cursor while launching the game, so the mouse pointer is sitting in the center of the action the entire time.

*promptly deleted*

Thor
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 10:35 AM

2) 800x600!? where's 896x600? 1152x768? 1280x854? 1440x900? MOST OF APPLE'S DISPLAYS ARE WIDESCREEN. SUPPORT THEM.

I'm playing it at 1680 x 1050.

Runs great on my
1.25 DP G4 (FW800)
Radeon 9000 pro
1.5GB RAM

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by johnt519:
Granted I have a dual 2ghz G5, but I think the demo kicks butt! I tried running at 1024x768 with default graphics goodies and it was smooth as silk. I upped to 1280x1024 and still was nice and smooth -
1600 x 1200 here with everything turned way up - smooth ...

J

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Obviously the amount of triangles being thrown around is far more than before. These games are developed with 3Ghz PCs in mind so complaining about performance on a G4-867 or something is silly. The minimum specs here should be a G4-1Ghz with 64MB card. Minimum.
after running it on my G4 1.25/Radeon 9600 Mobility combo, and then seeing it on a dual 1.8 g5/Radeon 9600 Pro, i would suggest the minimum be "Any G5 Processor equipped computer". i wish i stll had my 3 gHz PIV/Radeon 9700 Pro system, sometimes.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 01:32 PM

Runs good with a Radeon 9000 pro? You must not have seen the game run at 60fps + with all settings at max.
( Last edited by dantley; Feb 13, 2004 at 07:11 PM. )

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 02:42 PM

So what's your favorite weapon, vehicle, or role onboard one?

The Raptor feels pretty good, but the tank is quite rewarding, too...

I saw someone hitching a ride on a Manta, but haven't tried it yet... can you use your weapon in hand?

J

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2004, 04:00 PM

Just peeked in on the demo, boosted to 1024 x 768, left the settings to default (which are pretty high) and was getting 12 FPS avg. on my 1Ghz AlBook with 768 MB Ram. I played the first "instant action" scenario "Assault".

I got around 26 FPS in with UT2K Demo.

I don't game much anymore but like to see how the powerbook holds up on thing like this.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 05:47 PM

arrekusu, press the "~" key and type "setres ####x####" might be a space between "set" and "res", I can't remember right now.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2004, 06:03 PM

Where'd you guys download from. I can't seem to find the mac download section on the UT website (www.unrealtournament.com) and I can't find any other download sites through google. I think I missed something...

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

dot_nix
Feb 13, 2004, 08:22 PM

www.macgamefiles.com

Originally posted by xylon:
Where'd you guys download from. I can't seem to find the mac download section on the UT website (www.unrealtournament.com) and I can't find any other download sites through google. I think I missed something...

stingerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2004, 07:09 AM

My PM G4 500 AGP with 8500 stutters a little (ok) .5 FPS but I bet I can still beat all of you. Come on give me all you got...

JVB_2112
Feb 14, 2004, 11:01 AM

My new G5 Dual 2.0 GHz with stock ATI 9600 and 1.5 GB RAM runs the demo just fine. At 1024x768 32-bit with all options set to high I have no problems at all.
G5 Dual 2.0 GHz 1.5 GB RAM
ThinkPad T40 1.5 GHz 512 MB RAM
Palm Tungsten | T3
RIM Blackberry 6750
iPod 20 GB

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 11:50 AM

Just realized I've been playing it with only half my VRAM. If you've got 64MBs remember to change this line in the ini file to:

VARSize=64

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2004, 02:24 PM

Seems to play great on my Dual800 with a GF4.
Reality is the playground of the unimaginative

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2004, 11:27 PM

Onslaught is tons of fun. I think the vehicles are better than Halo's by far. They're more realistic in that they can be destroyed, there more firing modes, and there are more vehicles all together. My only complaint is that they take awhile to get used to driving them. My other complaint is that stationary guns need a lot more armor. They're sitting ducks and 2 AVRiLs take them out. Way lame.

Performance on my dual 1ghz/1.25 GB/Radeon 9800 is accetable at 1024x768. Only on rare occasions do the graphics stutter so much that my gameplay suffers. Yet another reason why it's better than Halo. This game runs and looks better than Halo.

Now, I'm wondering why I even paid the $50 for Halo now.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

RyanG3
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2004, 12:49 AM

PowerMac G4 Dual 1.42, 23" Cinema Display, Radeon 9000:
Runs well with all settings as high as they will go in the demo. Color problem (pinks, bright greens red spots), emailed MacSoft, they replied saying they were aware of the problem and it would be fixed by final.

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0, 23" Cinema Display, Radeon 9800 Pro:
With all settings maximum the game runs silky smooth and fast, very fun!!!

RyanG3
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2004, 01:29 AM

I do have one strange problem when trying to drive the Scorpion and the Hellbender vehicles, when I get into either of these two and accelerate they just sit there with their wheels moving very slowly, like it's stuck, no matter if it's forward or backward. If I hold the button, after a period of time the vehicle finally takes off, until I let off, then it's back to acting like it's stuck. This only happens with these two vehicles and on both a PowerMac G4 and G5. Any one else have this problem, or know of some way to fix this?

Thanks.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2004, 02:01 AM

Running here on my Dual 800 with Radeon 8500. Running OK but color bug is annoying. Gets a little slow when there are many players though. BTW 1600x1200 with all graphics options high
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2004, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by RyanG3:
I do have one strange problem when trying to drive the Scorpion and the Hellbender vehicles, when I get into either of these two and accelerate they just sit there with their wheels moving very slowly, like it's stuck, no matter if it's forward or backward. If I hold the button, after a period of time the vehicle finally takes off, until I let off, then it's back to acting like it's stuck. This only happens with these two vehicles and on both a PowerMac G4 and G5. Any one else have this problem, or know of some way to fix this?

Thanks.
I've experience that problem only on one server. It's been reported by a bunch of people though, so I'm guessing it's a known bug that will be gone by the final.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2004, 03:10 AM

Yeeeaaaah, an 800 G4 iMac does NOT cut it. Don't even bother dl this is you have specs like mine!!!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2004, 12:17 PM

I've been playing it on my PC for the last few days and I've been very impressed with it at 1600x1200. I decided to download it for my Dual 2.0GHz G5.

It kicks ass.

I have some screenshots I'll have to post.

It's not AS smooth as my PC plays, but at 1920x1200 on my 23" Cinema Display, it's a visual treat. No idea if it's dual CPU optimized. If I lower the resolution, I lose accuracy to an extent with the Lightning Gun and Shock Rifle. I like to push the resolution as high as I can.

Whoever doesn't like the vehicle controls doesn't know how to play the game. They're perfect. Try reassigning keys or something because I picked it up immediately.

The only problem I have is that one of the gun textures shows up as black and green - looks like a default texture. This doesn't happen on my PC.

The sound is top notch. In fact, I heard vehicles coming from behind be which I didn't hear on the PC so I'll have to check my PC's settings since I have 4 discrete speakers on my PC, and it is set to 3D EAX.

I'll still buy the PC version since it runs better there, but this is the first time I've been this impressed with a Mac version of a high adrenaline FPS that was also released on the PC.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2004, 08:09 PM

Fired up the demo and was instantly addicted to Onslaught and Assault modes. I guess I like having purpose in my life (both digital and real). I think the new modes are awesome and the vehicles are pretty interesting.

Only problem is, in those huge levels (such as Torlan), I get about 12 FPS, which is just under tolerable. No problems in DM or CTF, but seeing as I'm addicted to to Onslaught, the low FPS is a sticking point. Hopefully, the final product will be more optimized and I'll be able to get some decent frame rates.

Just a little hardware info: PowerBook G4 17" Rev A. with 1 GB of RAM and a Logitech MX500 mouse. Hoping the gods favor me and let me win a dual 2.0 G5 in a contest somewhere.

This game looks like it's going to be a treat, if you have the hardware to run it.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

kisol007
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2004, 12:22 AM

Stock 1.6ghz G5 (including crapy nVIDIA FX 5200) with 2gigs o' RAM and this demo runs smoooooooth.... All settings turned as high as they can go...

Very nice.

I do have an issue with how fast people can move...

Snipering is LAME....

Vehicles are nice but different from Halo...

I probably like them better.....

Onslaught is very fun and addictive....

Yes, this is why I waited for the G5; desktop gaming is back for me...

:-)

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2004, 02:01 AM

Haven't tried it on my Dual G4 yet, but I'm seeing a lot of complaints about it probably being "not optimized for Mac"...well, here's a P.O.V. from the PC.

I've got a 3Ghz P4, 2GB dual channel DDR400, Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, and the UT2K4 demo runs like absolutely glass at 1600x1200 on my 20" LCD...all (and I mean all) settings maxed out, it runs totally beautiful. Every map, every firefight, no slowdown. So I dunno if it's just optimized more for PC, or just the fact that the PC simply has more raw horsepower, but it rules on PC. Hopefully they'll optimize it for you guys that hafta game on the Mac side

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2004, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by starman:
I've been playing it on my PC for the last few days and I've been very impressed with it at 1600x1200. I decided to download it for my Dual 2.0GHz G5.

It kicks ass.

It's not AS smooth as my PC plays, but at 1920x1200 on my 23" Cinema Display, it's a visual treat. No idea if it's dual CPU optimized. If I lower the resolution, I lose accuracy to an extent with the Lightning Gun and Shock Rifle. I like to push the resolution as high as I can.
How's the framerate looking on your machine? What card? 9600?

lenox
Senior User
Feb 16, 2004, 11:30 AM

The Good It runs excellent, possibly better than UT2K3 on this machine, a dual 867 mdd, 768mb ddr ram, with a radeon 8500 w/ 64mb ddr vram. I haven't played with all the settings yet, but the gameplay types are fun, the vehicles/turrets are an added bonus, etc. BTW: I am running it with basically every detail (save for trilinear filtering) enabled, at 1024x768 (high enough res. for me) in 32-bit mode. As for trilinear filtering, I've found that it's rarely worth the drop in framerate on my somewhat older card to leave enabled.

The Bad The vehicle physics suck, compared to the games it's trying to copy (i.e. halo and tribes 2). The unreal series has always felt too "arcade"y to me. These vehicles should have some physics to them! There should be some skill required to pilot them well and there should be a feeling of exhiliration when you either A) pilot one in a smooth line to the enemy's base or B) shoot one down without getting blasted. What I am saying, I guess, is that the lack of any quasirealistic physics makes the game too forgiving and less fun because of it.

Tribes 2, despite having one of the shittiest engines of all time, was a big favorite of mine. The physics engine was very present. You had to make tradeoffs as to what armor you used regarding your weight, which of course meant defense versus speed and amount/length of jetpack airtime, etc...which _also_ affected what weapons you could carry. The mix of strategy and action made the game a real winner in my book. I sure hope the new Tribes game coming out gets ported (and ported WELL) to the mac. That would seriously make me happy. Anyhow, I know it's not fair to compare the UT series to Tribes, so I will stop now.

The Ugly anyone remember the weird color glitches with UT2K3 and Panther Dev Builds? They're back. It's kind of funny to not be able to see your enemy due to the pink and turqoise contrails coming out of the rocket you shot at them...or to see rain falling bright red...or to navigate through nearly unreadable text in the menus. I am sure they'll fix this before the release.

Overall, it's a very fun arcadey-style game with a bunch of added value over UT2K3 with the new gametypes and vehicles. The engine performs great, considering everything that you're seeing/hearing. The physics are not as complex as they should be IMHO, but it makes sense as this is one of those "twitch" style games. The Unreal Tournament series has always seemed kind of "derivative" to me (i.e. UT attempting to be quite like Q3 at the time), and I might catch some flak for this, but it seems true. That is not to say it isn't an excellent series. Give it a try, YMMV.
( Last edited by lenox; Feb 16, 2004 at 11:49 AM. )

SillyMe
Feb 16, 2004, 02:48 PM

20" iMac with 512MB Ram is practically unplayable.

I will consider it if I ever buy a G5 Dualie with a Radeon 9800 video card. It's a beautiful game, but no fun if you cannot play it.

If you don't have the hardware, go back to the original Unreal Tournament. It has the best game play experience overall.

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 08:05 PM

Is it just me or are bots that are on your team when playing Instant Action stupid as poop? I couldn't tell you how many times I wonder where my bot teammates are only to find them back at my base bumping up against walls in a vehicle. Frustrating to no end. I hope the friendly bot AI gets changed because they sure are stupider than the bots on the opposing team.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2004, 08:33 PM

GIVE THIS A TRY!

Dunno if it'll work for everyone, but it worked for my pal...on his Dual 1Ghz G4 w/ 1.25GB RAM & a Ti4600 128MB it ran like CRAP! Turned off File Sharing in Preferences, and it ran like a dream. That was the only change made and it made a ton of difference...give it a shot if you're having issues.

Squozen
Feb 17, 2004, 12:46 AM

It was a waste of time trying to play on my 15" AlBook with 1Gb RAM at 1024x768 with all settings on max. The UT2k demo ran great on this system. I'll have to do some fiddling with settings to see if it's possible to get the framerate above 5-10fps.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2004, 01:13 AM

The game runs decently on my Dual 867/1 GB RAM/Radeon 9600.

I have only played a few maps, but framerate was nearly always 30 FPS (I would say the more demanding levels run at 30-35 FPS while the less demanding ones run 10-15 FPS Faster).

I run the game at 1024x768 and all the options are as high as they can go.

The only problem that I have with the game is that it quits every few min! I have tried to play 5-10 games against my roomate's PC (which runs it like a dream, btw) and the game quits constantly.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2004, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by starman:

It kicks ass.

Whoever doesn't like the vehicle controls doesn't know how to play the game. They're perfect. Try reassigning keys or something because I picked it up immediately.

The only problem I have is that one of the gun textures shows up as black and green - looks like a default texture. This doesn't happen on my PC.

The sound is top notch. In fact, I heard vehicles coming from behind be which I didn't hear on the PC so I'll have to check my PC's settings since I have 4 discrete speakers on my PC, and it is set to 3D EAX.

I'll still buy the PC version since it runs better there, but this is the first time I've been this impressed with a Mac version of a high adrenaline FPS that was also released on the PC.

Mike
Are you running a Radeon 9800 in your Mac? I have a Dual G5 (radeon 9600) and it runs like sh*t. I've been playing it on my PC (radeon 9800XT) at 1600x1200 and get 101fps.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2004, 09:40 AM

MindFad asked me the same thing and I don't know. I'll check it when I get home later.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by dantley:
Are you running a Radeon 9800 in your Mac? I have a Dual G5 (radeon 9600) and it runs like sh*t. I've been playing it on my PC (radeon 9800XT) at 1600x1200 and get 101fps.
I've got an OEM Radeon 9800 in my dual G5. I run at 1280x1024 with all details on high. My frame rate is pegged at 60fps. I'm not sure how to change the max fps higher, but it's obviously pegged and not simply as fast as it can go.

Bottom line though is 60fps is plenty fast -- it never drops below that, and as a result I never have any performance issues.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

dcsmrgun
Feb 17, 2004, 12:56 PM

ALPB 15" 1GIG, 512MB..

Runs well at 800x600, 1024x768. Any other mode I change to spits me back to the desktop with no error message at all, as if I quit the game. I'm going to try 1280x854 with the setres command later.

Vehicles feel lacking after playing Halo, but thats personal preference.

I strafe 95% of the time, and 2/3 games I played today, the strafe-right key got stuck. I'm not talking my keyboard, I'm talking that the game got stuck in strafe-right mode until I quit and rejoined. This is usually after 5 or 10 minutes of gameplay. Go figure. This was different servers, so its not a server issue.

its a good game, but its not a super radical departure from Halo, so I'll probably pick this up when the price drops several times..

billybob128
Senior User
Feb 17, 2004, 03:09 PM

i got it goin on my dual 2.0 ati 9800
very smooth and amazing at the second highest screen res cant remember the figures by its around 1600 but 1200
then i maxed it out and played assult it was fine until around 7 bots vere on screen in battle then it got jumpy

awesome game tho havnt played any scenario with the vehicles but still got the fav minigun so im happy

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by dcsmrgun:
I strafe 95% of the time, and 2/3 games I played today, the strafe-right key got stuck. I'm not talking my keyboard, I'm talking that the game got stuck in strafe-right mode until I quit and rejoined.
The exact same thing happened to me once today. Gotta check whether it's listed as a bug.

J

billybob128
Senior User
Feb 17, 2004, 05:49 PM

I strafe 95% of the time, and 2/3 games I played today, the strafe-right key got stuck. I'm not talking my keyboard, I'm talking that the game got stuck in strafe-right mode until I quit and rejoined.

The exact same thing happened to me once today. Gotta check whether it's listed as a bug.

J
just came out of that happenin when i went back in i was glad it was workin. i was NOT lookin forward to another 26hr download again.

got to love the viechles although a little ot to get used t the controls

im of now..back into an unreal world

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

dcsmrgun
Feb 18, 2004, 12:37 PM

Actually, the more and more I play it, the more it seems to crawl. At first I was ok with it, but after going back and playing today, I really couldn't stand it. I turned down a lot of the effects and it didn't have a noticeable effect, inasmuch as I didn't leap forward and say 'wow now this is playable!'. I guess thats due to the outdoor map, but still.. meh..

Jowy
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2004, 01:40 PM

Actually, the more and more I play it, the more it seems to crawl. At first I was ok with it, but after going back and playing today, I really couldn't stand it. I turned down a lot of the effects and it didn't have a noticeable effect, inasmuch as I didn't leap forward and say 'wow now this is playable!'. I guess thats due to the outdoor map, but still.. meh..
I've noticed that as well. But mainly more on the CTF map since my comp can't even start to handle the ONS or AS maps. It starts out ok, and then as it goes for a little while things start to drag some. I really don't get it. Because of this though, I'm probably going to hold off on buying the game because I'm more convinced it's my computer(G4 867 single proc, 768 RAM, 64 VRAM)that's not able to keep up than it is the game itself.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 04:16 AM

Check out this classic thread in the making : http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=349787

Having played Onslaught mainly, the educational graphics (50+) in the thread feel so spot-on

J

mikerich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
1.25Ghz AlBook, Radeon 9600, 10.3.2, default settings:

1) runs like molasses. in 800x600 no less. Halo was faster. WITH pixel shaders.
3) failed to hide the cursor while launching the game, so the mouse pointer is sitting in the center of the action the entire time.

*promptly deleted*
Agree entirely, it's a dog on the 15" AlBook.

Any idea what the reason could be? Is it just down to the sluggish OpenGL drivers used by Apple, or is the Radeon 9600 mobile a lemon?

Perhaps Apple should stop mentioning games on their site until there are some fast libraries out there.

Disappointing.

Best wishes,

Mike.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 02:17 PM

It's the sound code apparently. Try the game with the sound off. Performance should be improved... but of course no sound... In some tests, sound cut down on framerates by 40%. Not sure what's so different between UT2K3 (post patch) and UT2K4 demo with the sound code other than the VOIP support. That's suck if VOIP ate up a large chunk of the CPU cycles even when not used.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2004, 06:57 PM

Would a sound card make much of a performance difference with game anyway? Just curious. I'm not very savvy on sound cards, or even how much CPU games take up when it comes to sound. But if you're seeing 40% improvements with sound off in some cases, wouldn't extra hardware (audio or sound cards) for it to run from help? Hell, what sound cards are even out for the Mac?

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2004, 02:57 PM

The demo is...ehhh..on my 1.25 15" PB. For 80 Mhz less than Apple's top of the line laptop, it's crap. It runs okay, but only at 800x600 with everything all blurry looking...any higher res, and it bogs down.

*thinks games are getting too bloated*

Give me good old Q3 or UT any day. Fairly low poly count, good engines, fast play, everyone's got them and knows the modes.

Update:
Yeah, a bit harsh, but true. Is it so much to expect at least decent performance of games on something slightly less than Apple's cutting edge G5 offerings? I realize "serious gamers" may have them, and that's what the companies' targets may be, but come on... a ~1.x GHz G4 with 64 MB of video RAM is probably about average for most Mac gamers, am I right? We may also be able to mess with ini files and tweak settings to the nth degree, but should we have to do that to eek out every last screen redraw from an oversized, under-tested, moderately compatible, you're-lucky-you-even-got-a-Mac-port game? I don't think so.

And what about portability? A four player multiplayer Halo game (not being served by me) running on my PowerBook runs like crap. It's all well and good if you want to stay inside the bases and guard the flag with a shotgun, but step outside and look across the level and your framerate drops to the floor. God forbid someone sneak up behind you. Better use those 10 frames you'll get to zoom out and turn around with wisely.

"Double kill."
( Last edited by macgyvr64; Feb 21, 2004 at 03:35 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 03:12 PM

...and that's a sad commentary on the state of Mac gaming, right there.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 09:52 PM

What, systems that aren't that great for high end games running high end games poorly? The iMac isn't that powerful of a system. It uses Older PowerPC 7455 chips with no L3 caches. The L2 caches are only 256KB so performance in resource intensive games will be affected greatly by the absence of the L3 cache. Then there's the slow system bus, low end 3D card... And, when games are concerned, MHz does matter.

Not only does UT2K4 push a lot of polygons, with the addition of more physics (for the vehicles) the game is more CPU instensive than UT2K3. There's only so much optimization you can do for a game.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2004, 11:10 PM

Love it, but the vehicles really suck. Ok, I should correct that, they are unoriginal and boring. Its really quite pathetic how they're not only similar vehicles but that they essentially look the same.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Feb 21, 2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
Love it, but the vehicles really suck. Ok, I should correct that, they are unoriginal and boring. Its really quite pathetic how they're not only similar vehicles but that they essentially look the same.
Huh?

There's a flying vehicle, there's a hover vehicle, there's a tank, there's a dune-buggy type vehicle...what do you want? A train? A boat that sails on land? Some kind of groundhog vehicle that moves around under the earth? Please explain how the vehicles are similar and look the same.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2004, 01:15 AM

Ahhhh, and look...a patch has already been released......FOR THE DEMO! I know it's a beta, but people with iSight's connected were having problems just getting the damn thing to launch. I just don't understand how UT and UT 2003 can run so well on my Mac, but this demo makes it feel like i'm playing with a Bondi iMac 233. Not cool. And the patch increased my playability from "not a chance in fu..in' hell" to "hey, this is starting to look a little bette...ah fu.k it. Oh well. I'll stick with the old versions for now.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules