Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Queer eye for the queer guy?

Queer eye for the queer guy?
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 29, 2004, 02:24 AM

I think they need a crossover episode on "Queer eye for the straight guy" and subsitute a queer guy in there.

I have met one guy who is in desperate need of being on the show, except he ain't straight. He is in fact the antithesis of the queer stereotype. He stinks, can't dress himself properly, is completely out of shape, and all the straight women hate him.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2004, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:

I have met one guy who is in desperate need of being on the show, except he ain't straight. He is in fact the antithesis of the queer stereotype. He stinks, can't dress himself properly, is completely out of shape, and all the straight women hate him.
Is he popular with the chaps?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2004, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Nope. They can't stand him either.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2004, 02:31 AM

I bet he watches a lot of TV.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2004, 03:01 AM

I bet he's English.
Aloha

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2004, 03:53 AM

[image]
Please tell me those are the people who are about to get a makeover!!!

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2004, 05:08 AM

Nope. They can't stand him either.
So what you're looking for is in fact 'queer eye for the complete loser'.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2004, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by Link:
I bet he's English.
http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...e_mrgayuk.html

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2004, 06:32 AM

I thought that gay men were supposed to have better senses of fashion and design than straight men. Yet every time I see the Queer Eye guys on television, they're wearing riduculous clothing and insist that tacky clothing and furniture are fashionable.

It's as if little girls have taken over these guys' brains. Must make everything as colorful, shiny, and sparkly as possible.

Anyone remember the shoes they made Kevin Eubanks on the special Queer Eye edition of The Tonight Show? Those weren't shoes, they were fuzzy slippers!
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 29, 2004, 06:40 AM

That's because the 'visible' gay guys are the eccentric ones who stand out like a trout in a bucket of guppies. The rest of just kinda blend in because we don't act or decorate much different from anyone else.

The NY Times ran an op-ed titled "Queer Guy With a Slob's Eye," written by a gay guy who, like me, isn't good at housekeeping, and also has friends who aren't exactly Martha Stewart, either. Unfortunately I failed to email myself that article and now it's in the paid archive.

tooki

finboy
Apr 29, 2004, 07:49 AM

Did they have "Straight Eye for the Queer Guy" yet? You know, where they take the stereotypes in the OTHER direction?

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2004, 07:57 AM

Yes, actually. Comedy Central ran a limited series called Straight Plan for the Gay Man a few months ago. LINK

Apparently it was all real, but it was clearly all intentionally humorous. (Even though it wasn't that funny.)
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2004, 08:01 AM

Ugh Reality TV makes me stupiderer.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2004, 08:15 AM

n/m, this is far too confusing
( Last edited by bradoesch; Apr 29, 2004 at 11:26 AM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Interesting.

I was thinking does he look good in chaps...oh well...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
First time I read that it sounded like you said you were gay. Second time around I caught the housekeeping part.
Errrr yeah.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Link:
I bet he's English.
Racism reported.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 29, 2004, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
That's because the 'visible' gay guys are the eccentric ones who stand out like a trout in a bucket of guppies. The rest of just kinda blend in because we don't act or decorate much different from anyone else.

The NY Times ran an op-ed titled "Queer Guy With a Slob's Eye," written by a gay guy who, like me, isn't good at housekeeping, and also has friends who aren't exactly Martha Stewart, either. Unfortunately I failed to email myself that article and now it's in the paid archive.

tooki
Yeah see I have noticed this. NONE of the guys I know or hang around with that are gay are like this queer eye guys. They are slobs just like me, they can't dress, just like me, .. heck I can even cook better than any of them

I think the media just wants to hype up the stereotype.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 29, 2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
Yes, actually. Comedy Central ran a limited series called Straight Plan for the Gay Man a few months ago. LINK

Apparently it was all real, but it was clearly all intentionally humorous. (Even though it wasn't that funny.)
Yeah I watched it. Everyone on there was a good sport.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
I thought that gay men were supposed to have better senses of fashion and design than straight men. Yet every time I see the Queer Eye guys on television, they're wearing riduculous clothing and insist that tacky clothing and furniture are fashionable.
Probably because it is supposed to be over the top as it is a TV show.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

phoenixboy
Mac Elite
Location: to your right, if you are wearing bronze, to your left, if you are wearing silver
Apr 29, 2004, 10:08 AM

so who's the homosexual here? they all look kinda gay...

sorry, i don't know the show. what's it about?

So keep on living And don`t start giving The devil good reasons To get you in the seasons of heartbreak Baby are you tough enough?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2004, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by phoenixboy:
so who's the homosexual here? they all look kinda gay...

sorry, i don't know the show. what's it about?
I haven't seen it, but from what I gather, it's basically a show with gay hosts (the picture, I'm guessing) who on every show do a makeover on some straight guy who looks like shyte, and make him look... well, hopefully not like they all do in that picture...

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2004, 12:11 PM

All 5 in the picture are the gay men. They all have some "expertise" in some field (food, clothing, decorating, etc). They make over some straight guy's life. The redoing of the house is the most interesting part, mostly because the guy's house is a pit before hand and they make fun of it. Then they remodel what they can in a few hours. They get the guy clothes, furniture, a hair cut, etc, and try to teach him how to use all the stuff they bought him, and finally how to cook a gourmet meal. Then he has to prepare a meal for his wife, gf, friends, whoever, who will come over at the end of the show and be amazed at the transformation.

I thought that gay men were supposed to have better senses of fashion and design than straight men.
That's obviously a single-minded view. There are hetero men who have the same fashion and design sense. But most are too afraid of LOOKING gay that they don't use it. That's just sad. And there are gay men who are just as uncoordinated and messy as anyone else.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
That's obviously a single-minded view. There are hetero men who have the same fashion and design sense. But most are too afraid of LOOKING gay that they don't use it. That's just sad. And there are gay men who are just as uncoordinated and messy as anyone else.
Of course it's a single-minded view, but that's the whole point, isn't it? Isn't that why the show is called 'The Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' in the first place? That because those five people from the picture are gay, they must naturally have great taste etc.? There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of single-minded viewpoints as long as you don't actually share/promote them yourself, in my opinion.

I suspect the majority of gays have no better taste than the majority of straight people, though... I think this is one of those times where the clich� is not just exaggerated but completely and absolutely not true. I wouldn't exactly call myself a fashion expert (although not quite a slob either), but even I can see that those guys in the picture look horrible!

Edit: Oh, and about being afraid of looking too gay... I don't know about the US, but in Scandinavia, for the past, I don't know, five years or so, there's been a tendency than men's fashion (or rather, guys' fashion, ie. men under 25's fashion) has been what I would call very gay. Strangely enough, many guys don't have a problem with wearing clothes that make them look like interior off Canal Street, but they freak out the moment anyone has the nerve to actually associate them with anything slightly homosexual...

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Racism reported.
english is not a race.

anyway, my contribution to this thread is that one of my roommates was gay, yet not a sharp dresser, and not an object of affection with the men or the ladies... so it happens.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 29, 2004, 01:39 PM

Yes, Oisin, the same thing's happening here.

In fact, there's a word for those guys: metrosexual.

tooki

imikeDotMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 01:46 PM

Gay men are just as diverse as straight men. Only the slobs get on that show, and I am sure there are many straight men that have fashion sense.... just not from America, hence why these 5 gay men made it to prime time. Gay men have been making straight men (and women) look good and well dressed for centuries... and that explains the well dressed straight man in Hollywood.
Some days I would love to be on Queer Eye. Every once and a while, we all need a little help and advice. Then again, if I was on that show, I'd be hitting on at least two of them.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2004, 01:56 PM

you guys are overanalyzing the hell out of this.

this show is about gay men who "makeover" the "life" of a straight man. OF COURSE they play on that harmless societal notion that "gay men have infinitely more fashion sense than straight men". its as much "ideas for the home" as it is tongue in cheek humor.

is this show trying to prove that that notion is correct or incorrect? no.
does it validate or invalidate that claim? no.
is it having a little "fun" with it? of course.

you constantly hear the battle cry (especially around here) of "why take things to seriously? why do you have to be so politically correct all the time? lets just make some jokes and have fun".

well. here it is. and here you are.

phoenixboy
Mac Elite
Location: to your right, if you are wearing bronze, to your left, if you are wearing silver
Apr 29, 2004, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Strangely enough, many guys don't have a problem with wearing clothes that make them look like interior off Canal Street, but they freak out the moment anyone has the nerve to actually associate them with anything slightly homosexual...
totally. you see a lot of "pink" in men's wear these days, sandals, even skirts, make up etc. just look at this year's "d&g" or "diesel" summer collections.

what in the early 90s was considered "gender bender", in some circles is quite normal today.

as usual, the media has some catching up to do, and as with any clich�, there is at least some truth to it, otherwise it wouldn't be a clich�.

So keep on living And don`t start giving The devil good reasons To get you in the seasons of heartbreak Baby are you tough enough?

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 29, 2004, 02:19 PM

I could care less what I wear. As long as it's comfortable.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2004, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
I haven't seen it, but from what I gather, it's basically a show with gay hosts (the picture, I'm guessing) who on every show do a makeover on some straight guy who looks like shyte, and make him look... well, hopefully not like they all do in that picture...
Yeah, it's quite an amusing show, and they don't make the guys look freaky. They just make them look unslobbish, and teach them how to make nice food, and redo their condos, etc. The blond queer guy is a little over the top sometimes, but the rest of them are actually pretty "straight" laced.
Originally posted by willed:
So what you're looking for is in fact 'queer eye for the complete loser'.
It doesn't rhyme though.
He doesn't blend in. Well, maybe he would in room full of stinky slobs.
Originally posted by scaught:
you guys are overanalyzing the hell out of this.
I agree.
Originally posted by gorickey:
Interesting.

I was thinking does he look good in chaps...oh well...
I hate you. I did not need that image in my mind.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 02:36 PM

Most of the people watching this show are straight women.

The show is also hugely successful.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2004, 02:37 PM

I hate you. I did not need that image in my mind.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2004, 03:34 PM

Yes, Oisin, the same thing's happening here.

In fact, there's a word for those guys: metrosexual.

tooki
Metrosexual guys freak me out!

So do women in evening gowns. Too pretentious!

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 29, 2004, 03:55 PM

People rave about how wonderful this show does, But it doesn't even rank in the top ten. Seems like a lot of hype.

Current rankings:
For cable networks

And for Network

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
People rave about how wonderful this show does, But it doesn't even rank in the top ten. Seems like a lot of hype.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...ins/index.html

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 29, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...ins/index.html
That is exactly what I am talking about. Tons of hype, but no real ratings results.

One of its first forays into television, "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," became an instant success. It's become so big, it seems to have no boundaries.
Does success mean that people talk about it but do not watch it?

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 29, 2004, 04:28 PM

Yeah I've heard a lot about it.. but not a lot of people that have seen it

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
That is exactly what I am talking about. Tons of hype, but no real ratings results.

Does success mean that people talk about it but do not watch it?
A show does not have to be on the top 10 to be considered successful. All that matters is how much money they make in the end.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2004, 04:54 PM

It's not a "Friends" or "CSI", but it's a low budget show which does get significant viewership. So what if it isn't top 20 or whatever.

I betcha they may be pretty profitable, as IKME alluded.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2004, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Racism reported.
the English are a race? Hell, they aren't even a jog.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 29, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
the English are a race? Hell, they aren't even a jog.

That is twice today.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

That is twice today.
I got a good night's sleep.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imikeDotMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy:
totally. you see a lot of "pink" in men's wear these days, sandals, even skirts, make up etc. just look at this year's "d&g" or "diesel" summer collections.

pink for men is in this year. It's the new white. If you want to talk trailblazers, Homer wore pink 10 years ago.... I can't believe I remember that! Time to get a life

Forum Links
Forum Rules