Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > _The_ perfect photo app: Shoebox

_The_ perfect photo app: Shoebox
HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2005, 02:23 PM

For me it's one of the best photo organizing apps I've ever seen. Better than Picasa and iPhoto. And that's just version 1.0. I guess we can expect some great stuff.

Here's the link: http://www.kavasoft.com/Shoebox/

What do you think?
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

adam1185
Feb 24, 2005, 02:26 PM

I've just been trying it out and it's fantastic. The hierarchal keyword type categories are great.

The developer is very responsive as well!

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 03:44 PM

I'd love to hear a detailed review of it. Is it faster and more stable than iPhoto 5?

Some of those features look amazing. I'm intrigued by the info drawer, and the full screen thumnails.

Adopt-A-Yankee

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 04:18 PM

This looks like a very interesting ap. I'm using iphoto, but am still not sold on it. I also have a copy of photoshop elements, which I'm trying to set up for just my kids to use. Shoebox looks perfect for organization, if nothing else. I'd be very interested to hear more reviews of people using it.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 05:30 PM

Minus points:
1. No slideshow transitions.
2. No slideshow music.
3. I'd like to see the infinitely variable thumbnail size slider, like iPhoto.

Plus points:
1. Seems pretty peppy.
2. Leves your pictures where they are.
3. Keyword and date association look really useful.

I'll keep an eye on this one.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 05:54 PM

Seems to be ideal for managing large amounts of 'random' photos, almost for photographers and the like. iPhoto's arrangement seems more logical for a casual photographer like me, who just want to caption photos and put them in albums of each event I go to.

Preciousss
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2005, 06:11 PM

Yah. Even though some of iPhoto's quirks bug me, I like the integration with the rest of the iApps for my particular needs. Making a movie project and browsing iPhoto for material is great, or making a slideshow disc in iDVD.

But definitely one to watch.

poocat
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2005, 04:33 AM

I'm really curious about this specifically because i hate iPhoto's arranging system.

Anyone have it? Thoughts? When was it released? Does it seamlessly import from iPhoto 5? Does it copy the pics, or just the info?

I want to know more.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2005, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by poocat:
I'm really curious about this specifically because i hate iPhoto's arranging system.

Anyone have it? Thoughts? When was it released? Does it seamlessly import from iPhoto 5? Does it copy the pics, or just the info?

I want to know more.
Download the demo and try it out.

I'm with you, PG. It looks cool and I'm glad there's variety (mostly so the whining about iPhoto's organization can die down a little), but iPhoto works well for me.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

poocat
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2005, 10:46 AM

I did. It only allows you to have 25 photos in the catalog. That is too limiting (for me) to understand the app in terms of how it would do w/ my library, which is the important part. It also messed up two photos (and couldn't generate previews) when importing 25 photos from iPhoto. That leaves me wondering how it would have handled the couple thousand that are in there. It also didn't seem faster... I'm not even knocking it, but like i said before, i'd like to know more, and i don't really have a way to evaluate it. So, if anyone's purchased it, i'd love a review.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

ikema
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2006, 02:55 PM

I was very disappointed with shoebox.
The express version keep shutting down so I upgraded to the Pro version thinking that the number of photos was causing a problem.
Problems continued. It took a week and a PayPal dispute to get an email answered.
When I quit using it, it would still shut down at times.
Poor support, buggy software, and a kludgy interface.
What is there to like????

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 03:02 PM

Just curious ikema - exactly what is your problem with ShoeBox? Seems pretty personal since your only posts here on MacNN are to bash the program. Not only that, but you revived two threads about the subject that have been dead for over a year.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2006, 04:15 PM

Stop reviving dead threads!!!!
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules