Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Font on Apple Menu

Font on Apple Menu
Zigmanx001
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2001, 12:44 AM

Why is it the font on my apple menu randomly changes to a bold font? I don't understand this, and I cannot change it back to Geneva...
-Al
-Al LeVine
Shpadoinkle.net

Cipher13
Feb 10, 2001, 08:21 AM

Are you using the Apple Menu Options control panel, or something like BeHierarchic?
Or both? That could cause probs if they're both in there.
Such things can be manually altered with BeHierarchic and whatnot...
Can you be more specific with your problem?
What version MacOS are you using, and could you explain the problem a little better? I assume you mean the items within it get bolded - do the rest of the menu's?
Any pattern to this seeming randomness?

Cipher13

Zigmanx001  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2001, 10:57 AM

Sorry, I was in a rush.
I am using 9.1 on a 466 G4.
There really is no pattern. I don't have any 3rd party thing on. What happens is the apple menus File Edit View <and so on> seem to change font and go bold. I can change that font in Apperance under Fonts under "Large System Font". It just changes to that font once in a while... Randomly....
-Al
-Al LeVine
Shpadoinkle.net

hoopz
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2001, 07:34 PM

Hi Zigmanx. I'm not sure, but I think you may have some terminology confusion. The grey-white strip at the top of the screen with the Apple, File, Edit, etc, is the Menu Bar. When you click on the Apple in the Menu Bar, the thing that drops down is the Apple Menu. So--correct me if I'm wrong--your problem is with the Menu Bar, not just the Apple Menu. (Many apologies if I've just misinterpreted your post). In any event, try deleting your Appearance preferences (in the Preferences folder in the System folder) and restarting. You'll have to reset things back to the way you want them, of course, but hopefully they'll stay that way from now on!

eklee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2001, 04:46 PM

this happens to me every few months or so (running os9 on a g3BW/350), but it happened way back in the day of 8.5 and 8.6, too. The only solution I've found is to restart, after which everything is normal again.

Anyone have any ideas on causes?

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2001, 10:44 PM

I found that the problem occured a lot during this time period when I had SevenDust on my computer. Killed that virus and the frequencies of the bold text became much lower, it still happens though and my drive is clean, but very rarely, maybe once in a week. If it is occuring a lot, I suggest you checking your extensions folder for the 666 extension.

John
Banned
Feb 26, 2001, 01:43 AM

Are you using AIM?

If you're using AOL Instant Messenger, and you do any of the following, your system fonts start looking weird:

1. AIM with a windows user
2. AIM with someone using the JAVA client
3. Try to "chat" with a windows user
4. any other number of things with AIM.

That might be the issue for you... not sure... but it happens to us everyonce and a while.

Cipher13
Feb 26, 2001, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by John:
Are you using AIM?

If you're using AOL Instant Messenger, and you do any of the following, your system fonts start looking weird:

1. AIM with a windows user
2. AIM with someone using the JAVA client
3. Try to "chat" with a windows user
4. any other number of things with AIM.

That might be the issue for you... not sure... but it happens to us everyonce and a while.
Heh, it seems to just 'happen'.
Launch AppleWorks or quit AppleWorks to fix it whenever it happens.

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules