Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > So, we Brits don't dig the iPhone

So, we Brits don't dig the iPhone
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2008, 06:21 PM

oooooh! sales not up to expectations in the UK.

Maybe because it's eye wateringly expensive?

Maybe the additional UK price hike over the £/$ exchange was a bit heavy?

Maybe not having 3G in a market where all smart phones are 3G and noone had ever even thought of using EDGE?

Maybe we want some of that Steve Jobs price cut action over here too?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 06:47 PM

Bummer.

philm
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2008, 07:05 PM

Target was 200,000 in first two months. Actual sales were 190,000 so it's hardly a disaster. In fact, it's pretty good. Although I got one for my wife, I think I have resolved to wait for a 3G version. I use the web all the way into work and back on the train, and doing this via Edge I think will be too tedious when I have been used to using 3G. Of course, all the other features of the phone are easily superior to my crappy SE M600i.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by philm
Of course, all the other features of the phone are easily superior to my crappy SE M600i.
Man, I lusted for that phone, but it was only available through spendy importers here (as far as I know). Why do you find it "crappy?"
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

philm
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2008, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
Man, I lusted for that phone, but it was only available through spendy importers here (as far as I know). Why do you find it "crappy?"
I lusted after it too, and then I bought one. It's crappy because the interface is simply horrible and slow. If I get a new text message, it takes (literally) 25 seconds from clicking the 'view' button on screen for the message to appear. I have to press 'view', get back to whatever I was doing for a while and then look at the message.

The list of calls sporadically forgets numbers which I have called. So, if I want to call someone twice in quick succession, there is a 70% chance that the number has not registered in the list of recent calls, and I need to go back via the contacts list which takes ages.

Suppose you are in the middle of a call and you want to send the sound to the external speaker. This requires about six presses on screen, and only via a bizarre sequence which I stumbled upon by chance.

Also, the Mac synchronisation never happened. Apple never supported the Symbian 3 phones, so I have no simple way to get stuff to and from the phone, and this was a way I have operated for years. I guess I gambled on this, but Apple had a solid history of supporting all new phones (I think) so this seemed a no brainer.

I could go on. Still waiting for that 3G iPhone!!

threestain
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2008, 10:05 AM

but actually it's pretty much the same cost as the HTC Kaiser - which may or may not be much much better...

Plus of course the fact that the HTC will price drop rapidly...

Will it sync with my mac though of course?

Naplander
Senior User
Jan 23, 2008, 10:14 AM

Well, as a Brit with an iPhone, I must say that I'm loving this device.

Sure, it could do with a few more features, and there are things that are annoying (like not being able to forward text messages), but overall I am very impressed by it
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
oooooh! sales not up to expectations in the UK.

Maybe because it's eye wateringly expensive?

Maybe the additional UK price hike over the £/$ exchange was a bit heavy?

Maybe not having 3G in a market where all smart phones are 3G and noone had ever even thought of using EDGE?

Maybe we want some of that Steve Jobs price cut action over here too?
Nothing personal but you are the ones who's BA 777 Sr. FO that crashed last week had photos of stewardess eating chocolate off his naked body posted the next day by one of them. Nice lot over at BA, eh?

In other words. Bark up a different tree

p.s. Don't forget, your surrounded by water.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2008, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Nothing personal but you are the ones who's BA 777 Sr. FO that crashed last week had photos of stewardess eating chocolate off his naked body posted the next day by one of them. Nice lot over at BA, eh?

WTF

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2008, 06:26 AM

I fail to understand how British Airways or being surrounded by water or actually anything else you mentioned in that post has anything at all to do with the iPhone or with iPhone sales figures in Britain.

Can anybody here help me out?

jogi
Jan 25, 2008, 04:19 PM

well I actually want it not to sell too much... Hate it when phone models likethe razr become ubiquitus...

jacklazara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by jogi View Post
well I actually want it not to sell too much... Hate it when phone models likethe razr become ubiquitus...
i think so too, i'm sick of this widely spread models

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2008, 09:20 AM

Translation:

"Rah Rah I think I understand airplanes Rah! Rah! and not much else Rah! Rah! I hate Europe Rah! Rah! Amerikah Number One Morans! Rah! Rah! FWUCK GRAMMAR ****ING ERUO NAZIS YEAH!"

Or something.

Forgive him, he's American even by American standards.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2008, 10:47 AM

Wow, thanks for that enlightening comment. I think it's high time to shut this thread down.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2008, 11:08 AM

I'm not sure that this qualifies as being totally derailed, but keep it on topic (which is the iPhone in the UK, not the UK itself) or the thread will be closed.

cms
Senior User
Jan 27, 2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
keep it on topic (which is the iPhone in the UK, not the UK itself) or the thread will be closed.

Well said, that man.....

I am one of the (apparently) relatively few "Brits" to have one of these fabulous devices.

So, that's just me, then. Oh, and about 2 dozen of my friends. And lots of people I see going to work on the train every day. And the lady behind me in the check-out queue at the supermarket this morning. And the man sitting opposite me on the bus yesterday afternoon. And my neighbour. And the guy in the car next to me at the traffic lights the other day......

And that's just in my little world.

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 12:07 PM

Personally I'd love one, but all my original comments apply

It's far too expensive in the UK

I don;t live in London so without 3G it's only half a phone. People who live in London are used to paying 20x over the odds for everything from houses to beer.

The only iPhone I've seen since the launch is in our local 02 shop.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Translation:

"Rah Rah I think I understand airplanes Rah! Rah! and not much else Rah! Rah! I hate Europe Rah! Rah! Amerikah Number One Morans! Rah! Rah! FWUCK GRAMMAR ****ING ERUO NAZIS YEAH!"

Or something.

Forgive him, he's American even by American standards.
We really should get together some time. Send me a private email.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

cms
Senior User
Jan 27, 2008, 12:17 PM

I don;t live in London so without 3G it's only half a phone.
I went to Cornwall over New Year. Fantastic Edge network reception at Land's End....

People who live in London are used to paying 20x over the odds for everything from houses to beer.
Crikey! I must check with the local estate agent. Is my house really worth 20 x more than its equivalent elsewhere in the UK? Didn't realise I was sitting on (or, indeed, in) such a fantastic investment And beer -- does it really only cost 11p a pint wherever it is you live?

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 01:34 PM

I think we both know that London is a special case.

I'd hazard a guess that around 40% of all the iphones sold in the UK are in London.*

*figure supplied by guesstastic polling. Margin for error +/- 40%. Actual figures may be wildly different!
Guesstastic polling - predicting the results since 17.15 this afternoon and always right or wrong (so far)

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2008, 01:45 PM

I think we both know that London is a special case.

I'd hazard a guess that around 40% of all the iphones sold in the UK are in London.*

*figure supplied by guesstastic polling. Margin for error +/- 40%. Actual figures may be wildly different!
Guesstastic polling - predicting the results since 17.15 this afternoon and always right or wrong (so far)
hahahaha!

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
It's crappy because the interface is simply horrible and slow. If I get a new text message, it takes (literally) 25 seconds from clicking the 'view' button on screen for the message to appear.
Sounds like a UK issue. My text messages appear instantly in the US.

The list of calls sporadically forgets numbers which I have called. So, if I want to call someone twice in quick succession, there is a 70% chance that the number has not registered in the list of recent calls, and I need to go back via the contacts list which takes ages.
Havent seen this either in the US.

Suppose you are in the middle of a call and you want to send the sound to the external speaker. This requires about six presses on screen, and only via a bizarre sequence which I stumbled upon by chance.
Why six clicks? Just punch the speaker button. If you are calling and doing something else like surfing then hit the phone button followed by speaker. Very easy and fast.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

cms
Senior User
Jan 27, 2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor Addict View Post
Sounds like a UK issue. My text messages appear instantly in the US.
I don't have this problem, either. So it can't be a UK issue.

Oh, wait....

Perhaps he lives outside London.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2008, 03:47 PM

I lusted after it too, and then I bought one. It's crappy because the interface is simply horrible and slow. If I get a new text message, it takes (literally) 25 seconds from clicking the 'view' button on screen for the message to appear. I have to press 'view', get back to whatever I was doing for a while and then look at the message.

Also, the Mac synchronisation never happened. Apple never supported the Symbian 3 phones, so I have no simple way to get stuff to and from the phone, and this was a way I have operated for years. I guess I gambled on this, but Apple had a solid history of supporting all new phones (I think) so this seemed a no brainer.

I could go on. Still waiting for that 3G iPhone!!
Something is seriously wrong with your phone. Restore or return it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules