Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > No automount on network Servers...

No automount on network Servers...
Zoly
Oct 24, 2000, 06:34 AM

Hi.

I've new G4 with OS9 installed. I work for a newspaper where servers are WinNT and Unix machines...

Until OS8.6, I had no problem with automatic mounting of shared volumes on these servers.

Since OS9, I can not mount these automaticely. I can use the chooser and mount these volumes manually. I can ask for the chooser to remember the passwords but at restart nothing happens....

Can somebody help me ???
Thanks a lot

mjpaci
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2000, 03:00 PM

I posted a reply to your question on another forum, but cannot remember where. Anyway, the short of it is that you need the Microsoft UAM module that works with OS 9. Here is the readme...

Microsoft User Authentication Module (UAM)
Version 5.0.5

Release Notes

This document covers what's new in Microsoft UAM 5.0.5 as well as some instructions on how to fully utilize the new features.

Why Use the MS UAM?

The Microsoft UAM provides a superior method for encrypting the passwords that you use to log into Windows AFP Servers. The standard Apple UAM provides only minimal encryption (if any) so your password could easily be intercepted on the LAN or Internet.

In addition, your passwords can be up to 14 characters long vice only 8 characters long for the standard Apple UAM's. This enables you to design a much stronger password that you can use against corporate servers or servers over the Internet.

Other benefits of the MS UAM are:

* Password expiration notices when your password is within 14 days from expiring
* Strong encryption when changing your password
* Improved UI for changing your password
* You can safely and securely change your domain password from your Mac!
* When invoked, you can easily determine what transport you are using to connect (AppleTalk or TCP/IP).

How To Install

To install the beta MS UAM, just drop the MS UAM binary inside your "AppleShare Folder" that is located inside your System Folder. If you do not have an AppleShare Folder because this is the first time you are installing the MS UAM, you will need to create one.

NOTE: Make sure the Chooser and Network Browser are closed before copying the binary. Otherwise, you will need to close and restart them before you can use the new MS UAM.

What's New in v5.0.5

* Support for the Apple Keychain Manager in MacOS 9.0
* Password field now really acts like a standard text box
* Much improved international support in the password field
* The MS UAM is now a FAT binary, so it will run natively on 68K and PPC machines
* Other minor bug fixes and improvements

Keychain Notes

If you saved a password in your Keychain for a server, whenever you access the server via the Chooser, Network Browser or alias, you will not be presented the MS UAM login dialog unless there is an authentication or other failure. If you wish to see the login dialog anyway to perform another action (i.e. to change your password), then you must hold down the command key while you invoke the MS UAM. This will force the MS UAM to bypass the Keychain and present the login dialog.

Items are stored in a particular Keychain as a "Microsoft� Windows Server" kind. You can drag these Keychain items onto the desktop where they can serve as a shortcut to a Network Browser window for that server. You can also differentiate between AppleShare Servers and Windows Servers by the icons (although, the MS UAM is fully compatible with AppleShare Server Keychain items created using the Apple UAM).

The MS UAM always uses the default Keychain (the currently unlocked Keychain).

The MS UAM is only compatible with the Keychain Manager on MacOS 9.0 or later. Earlier systems running Keychain 1.0.x are not supported.

Other Notes

If you have "store passwords using reversible encryption" enabled on the SFM Server so users can use the Apple encrypted UAM, Mac users must use the MS UAM when changing their passwords so that the stored passwords are updated properly on the server. To determine if your servers have this setting enabled, contact your system administrator.

Microsoft does not support AppleShare 3.7 for use with Windows 2000 Server and Services For Macintosh. If you are using version 3.7 of the AppleShare Client, Microsoft strongly recommends that you upgrade to AppleShare Client 3.8 or newer.

--Microsoft SFM Team

Forum Links
Forum Rules