Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The Official: "I Got an iPad" Thread

The Official: "I Got an iPad" Thread
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 09:56 AM

Ok. So who got one and what are the initial thoughts?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2010, 11:23 AM

*crickets*

-t

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 11:26 AM

Played with the demo, could have picked one up as a "walk in" without a pre-order or voucher, and walked out without buying.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Played with the demo, could have picked one up as a "walk in" without a pre-order or voucher, and walked out without buying.
Interesting. Any reason you didn't buy one?

vickster
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2010, 11:59 AM

Test drove one this morning at my local Best Buy. Don't know how many they had, but saw a few people walk out with one. Felt a tad heavier than I was expecting, a overall a nice experience.

The RDF was quite strong, but if I was to get one it would have to be a 3G model, given my work environment. Still, I subscribe to my long-held Rule #1: Never, ever, buy a first generation Apple product. I'm thinking maybe some kind of product refreshment right before the holidays. Or is that too early? Either way, I'm waiting. But I WILL get one.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2010, 12:20 PM

I'm interesting in hearing how people feel about the iPad a couple of months from now. After the new car smell has worn off.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2010, 01:04 PM

Same here. Waiting for Rev. B and reviews after the reality distortion field has worn off.

whtfarm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2010, 01:17 PM

Mine was delivered via UPS a couple of hours ago. So far great experience! Everything works as expected, no surprises. I think the weight is just fine, its substantial enough to feel very durable.
Touch controls are excellent. Bringing in previous Numbers documents worked great, but it does scrub headers and footers, along with cell notes. You also need to make sure your documents were created with iWorks 09, otherwise they won't import. I imported mine via sharing in iTunes....very simple.
My Bento files all imported as expected.
I have big hands, so screen keyboard is a little bit of a trick, but with practice, and think it will work, but it is also very easy to "peck" with index fingers. My daughter typed on it fine.
Nothing to complain about so far!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2010, 01:23 PM

I just want to know what sort of book are in the iBook store but nobody even seems to talk about it.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2010, 01:28 PM

This thing is freaking AWESOME!! I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Posting this now from my iPad. Typing is much easier than I expected.

Lots of free classic books available from the iBook store. Mail, safari, iTunes, etc. all work exactly as expected. News apps available now are great (USA Today, WSJ, NYT). Marvel Comics app is SWEET. Can't wait for more iPhone apps to get ported to iPad. For media consumption, this is going to be a HIT.

Anyone have any specific questions or things they want me to test let me know.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I just want to know what sort of book are in the iBook store but nobody even seems to talk about it.
Tons of FREE classics are available. From the popular book tab, I didn't see anything really interesting. However, the Kindle iPad app is awesome. Got all my Kindle books downloaded and they look GREAT. Honestly I like the Kindle books better on the iPad.

Cold Warrior
Apr 3, 2010, 01:31 PM

Did you get Apple's case for it? If so how is the tilt/stand working, and is the angle convenient to prop it up while lying in bed or on the sofa?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2010, 01:35 PM

I'm specifically curious in how it compares to a laptop for computing around the house.

After the novelty wears off, will I just be annoyed by the limitations? That's what I really want to know.

When I'm having my coffee in the morning is this thing going to be better then my laptop or iPhone?
When I'm sitting on my couch watching TV will it really be better then my laptop of iPhone?

My fear is that as cool as it is, the answer is most likely no.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Did you get Apple's case for it? If so how is the tilt/stand working, and is the angle convenient to prop it up while lying in bed or on the sofa?
Case is on its way. Can't comment yet. However using the iPad while sitting in my leather recliner is perfect. Easy to prop up on my knee.

WhaMe
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2010, 01:40 PM

Mine arrived about 3hours ago. I love it!

I haven't put it down. My wife is an avid reader, but was unsure of e-readers. I let her play with this for about 2 minutes and she is ready to claim it as hers.

BTW, this isn't too bad to type on. If I were a great typist to begin with, it may be problematic, but I think it will be fine for e-mails and such. Much better than the Touch.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2010, 01:41 PM

I have a request. How about a screen shot of the home screen without that hideous mountain lake desktop pic on it?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm specifically curious in how it compares to a laptop for computing around the house.

After the novelty wears off, will I just be annoyed by the limitations? That's what I really want to know.

When I'm having my coffee in the morning is this thing going to be better then my laptop or iPhone?
When I'm sitting on my couch watching TV will it really be better then my laptop of iPhone?

My fear is that as cool as it is, the answer is most likely no.
Granted, my comments are from only about 2 hours of use so keep that in mind. I usually use my laptop while sitting in my recliner watching tv. Email, web surfing, etc. I can see myself NOT using the laptop and simply keeping my iPad docked on the end table and using that while watching tv. Over morning coffee, i don't see any reason why the ipad wouldn't work well. Especially with the available news apps. In limited use, i find them perfect for catching up on the news without having to go to a website.

Seriously, i urge anyone considering an iPad to go and try one out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at well it works for media consumption. Did i mention the Netflix app?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2010, 02:01 PM

Unboxing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2010, 02:07 PM

Went to the local Apple Store just to have a look at it. At 12:30, they still had some in stock for walk-ins. I spontaneously purchased the 16GB version with the Apple sleeve.

I typically don't buy Apple Gen 1 products, but I travel a lot, and I need something to watch my movies on during the flight. This will do fine until rev. B comes out, then I'll buy a more pimped out version.

-t

Cold Warrior
Apr 3, 2010, 02:15 PM

I travel often too, in addition to the notebook-coffee-news routine at home or on the road, and one of my biggest fears is tipping coffee or a drink onto my MBP. iPad seems more resistant to spills and the rigors of travel.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Unboxing.

Oh sh!t... they sent you an empty box!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2010, 02:25 PM

What's the point of taking a picture of the iPad?

It looks like an iPad.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 02:29 PM

I went to the Best Buy in North Charlotte to get mine.
I got there are 9am and there was about 10 people in line so I decided to wait since the temp was good
Eventually someone came out and told us they got more than they thought they would and would hand out tickets for them.
10am picked it up and away I went.
Funny thing is that they had no accessories at all.
Well, they had a third party neoprene case that to me served no purpose.
I have only played with it for a bit.
I am slightly put off by the developers charging 3 -5 times more for the "iPad" version.
I am fine with paying a little bit more for something that I already bought, but the prices are out of control for "HD" version pricing.
I think that people that already bought the iPhone version of the apps should have the ability to upgrade for a different fee.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 02:36 PM

Here are some of the requested pics
MobileMe Gallery
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
I am slightly put off by the developers charging 3 -5 times more for the "iPad" version.
It'll probably wear off with the hype. Here's someone trying to sell his unopened iPad for $1700.
FS: Apple iPAD - 64GB Wifi - Brand New In Box - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 02:50 PM

I am using the iPad to post this too. This is much better and easier than I thought.
I dunno hoe the initial sales will be, but do far so good

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
It'll probably wear off with the hype. Here's someone trying to sell his unopened iPad for $1700.
FS: Apple iPAD - 64GB Wifi - Brand New In Box - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Wow. That's insane.
I am just confused by the developers.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Interesting. Any reason you didn't buy one?
Although it was GORGEOUS, and photos looked amazing on it, I had some reservations. Partly it was Best Buy's fault. There was no working WiFi connection in the store, at least not one for which anybody seemed to have the WEP key. Without a connection a lot of the demo programs couldn't operate as they require some kind of internet access.

I was also underwhelmed - disappointed really - that the apps I saw preloaded on the demo units looked great in 1x (iPhone size) but were blurry and pixelated at 2x (iPad full screen). This was enough to give me pause and wait for some hands-on reviews by real users (not paid professional bloggers). I fully intend to have one, but I'm not dumping $700+ until I see or read that the experience is better than what I saw.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 03:37 PM

I would also like to be able to see the catalogue of iBooks in a web browser on my MacBook, not just through the iBooks App on the iPad itself.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I was also underwhelmed - disappointed really - that the apps I saw preloaded on the demo units looked great in 1x (iPhone size) but were blurry and pixelated at 2x (iPad full screen).
Oh come on, what you expect? I give it a month before just about every app that SHOULD be compatible is compatible.

The iPad native apps so far are STUNNING and these are just first gen.

vickster
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Oh sh!t... they sent you an empty box!
That reminds me of the time I had to send in a powerbook due to a recall. I got a call from Apple a couple of days later asking me if I forgot to put it in the box they had sent me for shipping [apparently this happens more than you realize]. I said no - I had definitely packed it - and they simply sighed and asked what model I was interested in and they would ship me a new one. Apparently, this was a somewhat common occurrence with their preferred shipper of choice [Airborne] back in the day.

I suppose it's no surprise that Airborne in no longer in business.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by vickster View Post
I suppose it's no surprise that Airborne in no longer in business.
Airborne *is* still in business, it was acquired by DHL, which subsequently was bought by Deutsche Post AG.

-t

vickster
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2010, 04:44 PM

You're right, I wasn't clear. They're no longer Airborne. God, they sucked.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2010, 04:46 PM

Got my 32GB with Apple case and dock. Absolutely love it so far. I've must have spent over $40 in the Apps & iTunes Store so far.

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Oh come on, what you expect? I give it a month before just about every app that SHOULD be compatible is compatible.

The iPad native apps so far are STUNNING and these are just first gen.
I agree. I just wish the Facebook app was iPad native from the get go. It's bad enough the iPhone app is really buggy.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

NYK Ace
Senior User
Apr 3, 2010, 04:53 PM

I am typing this from my iPad too. Waited in line at the Buffalo apple store for 4 hours to get one (with no pre-order)... This thing is awesome and super responsive. I am very happy, and typing is better than expected. iPad native apps look great and browsing the web is better than on my MacBook so far. I've been using it for about 2 hrs straight and the battery is still at 94% and there is no heat coming from this machine. NONE.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2010, 05:41 PM

I picked one up as well. Went to best buy and they had all three models in stock. Picked up a 64 gig model. No cases in stock, though. Loving it so far.

/Posted from my iPad.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I agree. I just wish the Facebook app was iPad native from the get go. It's bad enough the iPhone app is really buggy.
Why not just use Facebook lite?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2010, 07:32 PM

For those who use LogMeIn I'm happy to report that the latest iPhone app is in fact also iPad native. Freaking sweeeeeeet. Controlling my iMac upstairs from my recliner downstairs.

Other notes:

1) screen is absolutely GORGEOUS and very easy on the eyes even after extended sessions

2) websites look great on this screen

3) typing is MUCH easier than I expected/hoped for

4) I'll avoid using non-native iPad apps. Running iPhone apps at 1x looks stupid on this big screen. Running them at 2x makes 95% of them pixelated and ugly.

5) it's FAST

6) Kind of regretting not waiting for 3G enabled version.

7) RE: 6), I'm hoping for access to Verizon Wi-Fi hotspots

8) touch screen is very accurate

9) Kindle books viewed in Amazon Kindle app look better than they do on the Kindle

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2010, 07:51 PM

still waiting for mine to be shipping ! Where the hell is the delivery guy !

dzp111
Senior User
Apr 3, 2010, 09:54 PM

Rolling my thumbs here waiting in northern Ontario...

.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2010, 10:28 PM

So far, I'm very impressed with my iPad. It's very fun to use.

All iPad native apps are much more than just a large iPod touch version. They really add a whole new dimension to it.

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2010, 10:35 PM

My wife came home with one this evening. I looked it over, snorted at it, and went upstairs. She hasn't brought it to me to fix anything yet, so I guess it connected to our wi-fi network properly.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 11:03 PM

When you guys say that the typing is "better then expected", do you mean that you're able to actually type with all 10 (or 9, like I do, ignoring the second thumb) digits effectively?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2010, 11:13 PM

In landscape, I can use five (two fingers on each hand and a thumb).

I have ham hands.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 4, 2010 at 12:46 AM. )

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
When you guys say that the typing is "better then expected", do you mean that you're able to actually type with all 10 (or 9, like I do, ignoring the second thumb) digits effectively?
In landscape mode yes. It's actually very intuitive and the keys are spaced apart enough to allow you to use all your fingers if you choose to. However, it's actually easier to use two fingers on each hand and your thumbs.

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2010, 06:05 PM

It's very easy to type. The "f" and "j" keys have the little lines on them so you know where to position your fingers. :-)

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
In landscape mode yes. It's actually very intuitive and the keys are spaced apart enough to allow you to use all your fingers if you choose to. However, it's actually easier to use two fingers on each hand and your thumbs.
If anything, I'd say it's more of an issue getting the iPad into a proper position to type at maximum speed.

If you lay it flat, you have to keep your head bent down to look at the screen. If I'm crossing my legs to put it at an angle, I have to use one thumb to keep it from sliding down into my crotch, which makes that hand sit awkwardly.

It could use a little tilty lap pillow sort of thing.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
It could use a little tilty lap pillow sort of thing.
A kickstand perhaps?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 03:23 AM

That sort of thing seems like a vital accessory if you're at a table with a Bluetooth keyboard, but I was thinking for your lap.

MacPC
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2010, 07:02 AM

I played with the IPad at my local Apple store. All these hypes about the iPad, I still don't see how it fits in my every day computer usage. When I need more power, I use my Mac Pro at home, When I am on the road, my beloved MPB allows me to do all my works such as programming, web design, photo editing... Sure the MPB weigh more but it also does a lot more then the iPad. If I want to travel light and do light duty tasks such as email, my iPhone fits in my jeans pocket comfortably. Why would I want to drag another piece of electronic that will require me to carry with a bag of some sort?

The other thing really turns me off about the iPad is Apple/Steve Jobs' stubborn resistance of Flash like they did on the iPhone. Personally, I am not crazy about Flash, unfortunately Flash content has become so ubiquitous that to be able to get the full web experience, as Apple claims the iPad would do, it should support Flash. At lease my MPB can play Flash content.

Forum Links
Forum Rules