Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > tansfer of apple care

tansfer of apple care
babajazz
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 04:04 PM

if I decide to sell my 15 inch albook within a year, can the next owner get apple care under their name?
cheers

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2003, 04:08 PM

Should be able to i knwo you can cancel the deal but this might be something you can find the answer to in teh agreement. I cant remember everything I read in it and don't feel like figuring it out to much HW. So check out the stuff that came with the plan in that apple care box. Read it

Or wait for someone who has the answer; I at least gave you a start.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 04:13 PM

I know because I did this; I transferred the AppleCare on my 17" PB to a new owner. In the AppleCare box there's a paper...read rule #7 I think. You have to WRITE A LETTER (no other way) and mail to their address in Texas I think, explaining the new owner's name, address, and the machine's serial #.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

babajazz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 04:16 PM

thanks for the replies. What if one does not own apple care on their brand new machines. Can the next buyer purchase apple care (provided the laptop he/she is buying is less than a year old)?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by babajazz:
thanks for the replies. What if one does not own apple care on their brand new machines. Can the next buyer purchase apple care (provided the laptop he/she is buying is less than a year old)?
Absolutely, just so long as it's under a year from purchase date.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

babajazz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 04:20 PM

thanks my friend. This forum rocks.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2003, 04:29 PM

So is the standard one year warranty transferred in the same manner? I don't have AppleCare on my TiBook, but if i were to sell it, could the basic warranty transfer to the new owner as well?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 04:32 PM

Notta problem!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by alpha rays max:
So is the standard one year warranty transferred in the same manner? I don't have AppleCare on my TiBook, but if i were to sell it, could the basic warranty transfer to the new owner as well?
This I'm not 100% sure on, but I betcha the rules concerning it are in that "AppleCare" limited warranty paperwork that comes w/ your PB itself.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2003, 04:47 PM

I think you just call apple and do an ownership transfer in order to make the warranty continue onto the next owner
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

hseikaly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 05:21 PM

its number 8 in the terms and conditions of the AppleCare plan:

"You man transfer this Plan to a new owner of the Covered Equipment... You must provide the Plans' enrollment or agreement number, the serial numbers of the Covered Equipment being transferred, proof of purchase of the Plan, and the name and address of the new owner..."

I recently read this because i'm trying to sell some stuff with applecare attached...

fener
Oct 2, 2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by alpha rays max:
As long as the original warranty is the subject, you don't need to transfer a warranty/ownership of the computer. The limited year warranty works simple:

Who has the machine, has the warranty.

If something happens or you need to get a parts replacement from Apple, you just call them, give the Serial # (thats only what it matters) and your current address. They will take care of it.

Regards,

Forum Links
Forum Rules