Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Busting Apple imposters!

Busting Apple imposters!
babajazz
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 08:04 PM

I'm just wondering, would PC people (those that directly work for the industry) post here and complain about apple products in order to deter people from buying macs?

j0nkatz
Oct 5, 2003, 08:19 PM

... and I thought I was new here!

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 08:56 PM

yeah post anything you want .. he he..
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 09:16 PM

To answer your question (since these guys are acting like azzholes....) YES. It happens CONSTANTLY. I doubt they are industry insiders, but lots of PC zealots do it.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by babajazz:
...post here and complain about apple products...
This part about posting and complaining can be from Mac zealots too. I think people do this not so much as to deter others from buying Macs, but to help critique and serve as a "voice" of quality-control. Although, you could argue also that posting complaints may not do any good. I try to remain mostly positive and yet also realistic . If there is an obvious problem I would hope that members post about it so we can be aware and take precautions. And like with anything on the Internet, take what you read with a grain of salt.

pwolfe1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 01:41 AM

it happens on the linux forums too. its the religeous battle that has become the computer industry.

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 6, 2003, 01:50 PM

If you mean, does a company like Microsoft ever actually have PAID EMPLOYEES propagate misinformation via informal channels like forums, to hurt competing products... yes. They have indeed been caught doing that!

BUT I believe that is a rare case, not a widespread practice. People spreading anti-Mac info from their own personal hang-ups is FAR more likely.

And yet those kinds of posts are usually so obvious and stupid nobody takes them seriously. So when in doubt, I bet the complaint about an Apple product is generally REAL.

But there's nothing wrong with that. People get defective or flawed products from any company, and they DO have a legitimate complaint. It doesn't mean problems happens as often as people post about them! It's human nature to post when you have a problem, and not when you don't. Plus, Apple offers such good design that people notice cosmetic details they would not with another vendor, and hold Apple to Apple's own high standard.

For comparison, the Register says Dell laptops have a 28% rate of failing and being returned.
nagromme

iohead
Oct 6, 2003, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by nagromme:
If you mean, does a company like Microsoft ever actually have PAID EMPLOYEES propagate misinformation via informal channels like forums, to hurt competing products... yes. They have indeed been caught doing that!
Well - it doesn't take a company like Microsoft to have paid employees doing this kind of stuff. A lot of them do. Anti-marketing is often a subset of marketing ...

-A

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2003, 03:15 PM

Apple products suck, and, well, they just suck. I mean, who makes a usable Unix based OS for the masses? It has to be fake, and, well, thats why they suck.

Well anyhow, I do work for a major PC company, and own Macs. And we do make Mac products as well, so, I really have no reason to bash Apple :-)
<This space under renovation>

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
Apple products suck, and, well, they just suck. I mean, who makes a usable Unix based OS for the masses? It has to be fake, and, well, thats why they suck.

Well anyhow, I do work for a major PC company, and own Macs. And we do make Mac products as well, so, I really have no reason to bash Apple :-)
Hey, you forgot to mention that all macs work only with one-button mouses!
Powerbook 15.2" G4 1.5Ghz
1GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm
4GB iPod Mini, Rev 2, Green

Forum Links
Forum Rules