Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > had the screen on powerbook replaced...now have a big problem!

had the screen on powerbook replaced...now have a big problem!
babajazz
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 04:06 PM

I recently had my white dot screen on 15 inch powerbook replaced by an authorized service center. When I took a look at the machine, I noticed that the case right above the CD unit is not sealed tight...where the gray rubber lining is. I asked the guy at the shop and he said that it was normal because the case was held togeher through clamps and that all powerbooks would not seal the same after being opened.
I paid over 4000 dollars cdn for this machine. Now it's not flawless, and it's less than 3 months old. Also, the opening seems to be getting a little wider. Anu suggestions?....I just want to make sure apple makes a note of all these things....is it a good idea to call the tech department and get them to make notes on my problems as I go along?

Already I hate the fact that I had to do without the book for the time it was being serviced. Now the case is not sealed properly.
Does this warrant getting a new machine? it's all their fault anyway...

your suggestions are much appreciated.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 04:43 PM

I had the same problem and sent the machine back immediately. It came back with the problem fixed but with other problems. So I sent it back again. And it came back with the annoying gap above the DVD drive.

You won't get a new machine from Apple just for that, but you do have a right to have them reassemble the case properly.

It is not normal. The "guy at the shop" (of proverb and legend) has no idea what he's talking about. If they don't seat it properly, or if the keyboard isn't seated properly and is warped or creaks or clicks, it's simply out of laziness or incompetence at AppleCare. Keep sending it back until they get it right. After 4 or 5 times, if they don't get it right, demand a new computer.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2003, 04:43 PM

I think I am having this same issue and I also had my screen replaced.
Its above the left side of my drive slot.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 04:44 PM

Oh, and you should definitely have this documented with Apple and get a case number right away.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2003, 04:45 PM

Its also creaking when my wrist sits there while typing

fuddman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2003, 04:51 PM

I had the exact same problem, the first time I had the screen replaced the space above the cd appeared.

What I did was brought my powerbook into the service provider and had them make a note on their system that there was a space, at first I was worried that this would cause damage to my optical drive in the future so, I called Apple and told them about the problem and had them create a case number for me.

During the conversation with Apple I told them that, I had the screen replaced and now there is a space above the cd drive, they asked if it has been dropped or damage by me and I said no, it only appeared after the screen was switched.

The apple rep said just to bring it back to service repair shop, and they will fix it.. Well the white spots returned agian on my screen so I ordered another screen and decided to wait untill the second screen arrives before I tell them to repair the space.

The screen got here and I asked the guys to repair the space and after I got the powerbook back, the space was still there, and I was told they couldn't do anything but replace the lower casing. I had my case number from before and gave it to them so now and they ordered the part now I'm just waiting for lower case to come in.

So just call Apple and complain nicely.

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 07:17 PM

I have the same problem. Got screen replaced for white spots and uneven illumination. When I got it back, my keyboard was screwed up, screen was find, aside from the fact that it did not seal well anymore.

I have not bothered to fix it anymore. I dont want it back with more problems. The screen was clearly not put on properly, so it has gaps along the base when its closed. Oh well.

The case itself has problems and its clearly warping because it wobbles on a flat desk now, which it didnt do before. Interestingly enough, the case is warping in th eopposite direction and the wobble is must less severe. Confidence inspiring if you ask me.

When the case is taken apart, you will get problems with the fit of the computer. I decided to get over it, and never get a PB again.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

bamchum
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 08:11 PM

For what it's worth, after 4 repairs (3 of them to repair problems AppleCare either introduced or didn't fix the first time) I got a new one.

The difference between the old one and the new one is like night and day. The new one is almost perfect. It's got one dead pixel way up in the upper left-hand corner and the AirPort reception is only fair (but usable). But otherwise it's much nicer than the one that AppleCare took apart and put back together 4 times. It's dead quiet (no creaky keyboard or strange sounds when the processor is on "highest"), very solidly put together and has no white spots.

Two versions of the same model and the first was the worst computer I've ever owned while the second is the best. Too bad Apple hasn't figured out that the time for quality control is before you start shipping a new computer, not a month after.

I would understand someone being soured by the whole experience but, to my mind, there is no alternative. Windows is simply unacceptable.

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 10:39 PM

Good to ehar you got a good new computer. i simply dont have the downtime to be without my computer.

As for Win PC not being an alternative. I feel that it is, because after making my switch to the Mac, the negatives outweigh the positives over the PC. If I could only have one computer, sadly it would be a PC laptop. Im lucky that work pays for this PB
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

Forum Links
Forum Rules