Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The brutal canadian cold!

The brutal canadian cold!
babajazz
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 03:50 PM

How bad is it for me to move my powerbook around in the cold. The temp here has fallen to -30 celcius in the past two weeks. However I've only dares carry the book at temps no lower than -10 (ofcoarse it's in the carrying case)....am I damaging the book by taking it out in the cold? I usually do wait till it's at room temperature before waking it from sleep.
any ideas?

cambro
Senior User
Feb 5, 2004, 05:25 PM

I'd guess that as long as water doesn't condense on the machine when you bring it inside you are alright.

Of course, if it gets too cold, the screen may not function properly and the harddisk lubricant (if there is any in there?) might get too viscous.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 06:40 PM

Well I've taken my iPod out in the -30s plenty over the past week without a problem while listening to it.

Not that that has anything to do with your question.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2004, 06:51 PM

My Powerbook has faced the cold while in my shoulder bag, while I walk to work for about 15 minutes...and when my car is freezing cold and warming up. The Powerbook has felt cold to the touch quite a few times, but it has always worked and I don't bother waiting until it reaches room temperature.

Unless you're leaving the laptop in your car for hours on end or something like that, I wouldn't worry about carrying it around in the cold for a reasonable length of time.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

(",)PB12
Feb 6, 2004, 02:08 AM

I'm from canada too, i've had no problems transporting my powerbook around campus/waiting for bus ride, out in the -30's. But i do keep it real protected in a Laptop sleeve and in a crumpler Very Busy Man. Good padding and stuff will keep the temperature up a little, i think. Anyways i don't think you should worry about a thing.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2004, 03:30 AM

You canadians deserve an ultra-hot 2 GHz G5 Powerbook! You simply leave it on and don't have to worry about freezing temperatures.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 06:56 AM

Just make sure you avoid condensation when the PowerBook comes in from the cold. Leave it in your computer bag for maybe 10-15 minutes or so before you take it out in room temperature. If you feel some condensation on the surface, then don't open it!

Here in northern Sweden we're used to temps dropping down to -30�C and even further... so far so good!
/Petra

Forum Links
Forum Rules