Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > curing a g4 533, upgrading to dual 1,33ghz

curing a g4 533, upgrading to dual 1,33ghz
PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 04:49 AM

I found an abandoned powermac g4 533 which seems to have issues with the motherboard.

it was all empty when i found it, so i added 3x64mb kingston memory, a new battery, a new harddisk, a new dvd rewriter and a new videocard from ATI (i think a 32mb radeon DVI/VGA, it doesnt say anywhere except "ATI" I do know its mac compatible).

curiousities :
I tried to boot it up but only the fan starts turning. no startup chime, the powerbutton only gives light when i press it.
of course this is odd, so when i press the resetbutton, the harddisk/rewriter start up

i connected a 15" TFT 1024x768 to the VGa of the AGP ATI card, it says "out of sync"
so i assume the videocard is set to a really high resolution

how bad is this? do you guys think i can cure this sick mac?
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 04:53 AM

Did you install an OS onto that new HDD, or try to boot from an installer disk?
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2006, 09:01 AM

sounds to me like a bad power supply. But I guess it could also be the motherboard. Is the heatsink still on the CPU? (I got a couple dumpster dove Sawtooths and the heatsinks were missing. I don't know what would have happened if I had just tried to power them up)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K
I tried to boot it up but only the fan starts turning. no startup chime, the powerbutton only gives light when i press it.
of course this is odd, so when i press the resetbutton, the harddisk/rewriter start up

?
Try leaving different RAM slots empty. I had a slot on the MB of my Sawtooth go bad, and those were the exact symptoms. It ran so long as the slot was empty. Longshot, but may be woth trying.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

spork
Mar 8, 2006, 09:22 AM

Similar situation with my GigE and it turned out to be the power supply after initial incorrect diagnosis of logic board, so I agree with BigBadBiologist, providing it is a hardware based problem. Test the power supply and then work through other possiblites such as bad motherboard. My GigE did crazy stuff without the heat sink installed, so that was more good advice. Good luck. contact me for an apple PDF about troubleshooting early G4 towers.
Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66, 1.5ram, super, 17" CRT Cinema Display, Intuos 3 tablet
G4 PB 1ghz 15", 60gb, 256ram, super, Wifi

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 12:02 PM

Thanks guys. It sounds very plausible that it might be the powersupply : sometimes the ATAdrives don't get enough power so they just shut off.

I bought a powerlogix 1,33 ghz dual upgrade for this computer and want to expand this system to the max. It would be nice if everything worked

I'll try a new supply

dave49er
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2006, 07:05 PM

I had a similar problem with a GigE that I got for $25 knowing there was a problem with the CPU, logic board, or power supply. It was the logic board.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 10:38 PM

Had a GigE with the same problem, bad logic board. Fixed that, then the power supply died. It's now happily running a dual 1.4 G4 (although it gets a bit toasty in the summer).
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by spork
.. My GigE did crazy stuff without the heat sink installed,...

Did you really try to run your system without the heatsink installed???

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 04:40 AM

i have 2 fans that connect on top of the heavy heatsink (dual 1,33 ghz), only with the hood open it gets enough cold air to operate without the fans, i was advised to drill extra holes in the powersupply for extra venting
i also want to insert 4 x 250 gb ata harddisks with a sonnet AtA RAID controller

i need a heavier power supply dont I ?

jacqkeen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2006, 11:19 AM

just out of curiosity, when you said reset button in your original post did you mean the PMU reset? i recently had an issue with my DA dual 533 that required a PMU reset and the power button was doing the same thing you described. Once i reset the PMU all was right with the world. Good luck!

spork
Mar 9, 2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork
.. My GigE did crazy stuff without the heat sink installed,...
Did you really try to run your system without the heatsink installed???

I booted without the heat sink while testing 2 separate logic boards and OSX came up, but all goofy. Shut it right off, installed the heat sink and no problems. How was I to know. Shows how tough this equipment is.
Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66, 1.5ram, super, 17" CRT Cinema Display, Intuos 3 tablet
G4 PB 1ghz 15", 60gb, 256ram, super, Wifi

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 11:59 AM

it was difficult to find a power supply for the g4 533, so i bought a cheap g4 466, which also supports my dual processor upgrade. for the first time in 3 years, I installed OS9 on a mac again

Still, I am curious what kind of powersupply I need for that 533. Would a cheap g4 graphite powersupply be sufficient? The 533 is still worth saving, though i used my DUAL 1.33 already

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2006, 12:20 PM

The 466 and 533 should both be Digital Audios so the power supplies/motherboards should be identical.

/edit: or you could maybe put a PC power supply in there:
http://www.outofspec.com/frankenmac/wire.shtml
( Last edited by BigBadBiologist; Mar 15, 2006 at 05:50 PM. )

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2006, 11:44 AM

the gigE and DA have the same PSU.

Also, make sure you reset the PMU (you are meant to do this when you replace the battery).

The 'out of sync' message is normal when there isn't a signal, or a bad signal. You could try a PCI video card.

Oh, and please don't install the 1.33 CPU upgrade until you get the machine working. You don't want to kill the dual 1.33 aswell
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules