Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HP's equpment problems

HP's equpment problems
Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2003, 07:06 PM

Ok folks, here is an opportunity to present your problems with HP's drivers for a variety of equipment. Please keep the problems factual and please do not express your opinion. The facts only! I am an HP rep who uses a Mac and my boss asked me to put together a list of issues concerning Mac's OS X and OS 9. So lets here it.

anoetic
Apr 6, 2003, 07:20 PM

The 2.1 version of HP utilities causes the margins in Microsoft Word to be printed incorrectly, although the preview shows it correctly and it prints correctly in other applications. The only fix so far has been to revert back to version 2.0 or to save as pdf and print in Acrobat Reader.

HP 5550 | OS 10.2.4

10tcjackso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 01:52 AM

How about a driver for the Designjet 500 for osx?

geekwagon
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 10:38 PM

I have a Deskjet 990cse hooked up to a parallel HP Jetdirect 300x for ethernet printing. Using the 2.1 drivers which I just downloaded from the HP website, I cannot setup to print via anything but Appletalk. I would ideally like to use appsocket (port 9100) printing, although lp would work too.

It wouldn't be such a big deal but my non-Apple 802.11b basestation will not carry appletalk traffic. So, essentially I cannot print to the printer wirelessly without using gimp-print which has much inferior print quality to using the HP drivers. I'm guessing the performance would probably be better if I could use appsocket as well.

Am I the only one who has this problem? I can't get it to work on any of my 3 macs.. I noticed that the newest driver even added a "hp deskjet IP" connection type, but it doesn't work at all... Of course, it all works fine from my Windows machines...
EDIT: This is on OSX BTW

j mars
Apr 10, 2003, 09:30 PM

I don't really know if this is an HP G55xi problem or an OS 9.2 problem. I am running v4.6.2 on my beige G3 revB OSX 10.2.4 (583mh G4, 756mb Ram) with no real problems except that it could be a bit quicker. But when I try to install drivers on my classic OS9.2 (on the same disk as OSX10.2.4) or my stand alone OS9.2 hard disk, I get a "can't load driver" warning screen in either the application or the chooser. Some applictions repeat this warning screen 5 or 6 times upon startup. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several older drivers which worked previously under OS9 but they now give the same warning screen. The installation application seems to go normally, set up occurs with no problem, the system profiler finds the G55xi with no problem, the printer appears in the chooser, the drivers are in the extensions folder, the apps are in the application folder but still the same warning screen. I can't figure it out. There is no way to print in OS9 or classic. Needless to say any inquires to HP go unanswered which is perhaps the most annoying thing of all.

step
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 09:55 PM

my laserjet 3300 all-in-one has never really worked in osx. it can neither scan or print in x using a usb connection.It can print in classic and sort of scan in x by using the 'director' app which will send a raw scan to photoshop, but the actual scan software fails with a twain error.
I Installed the (long awaited) jaguar specific update released this week and it didn't make any difference.
It's a great product, perfect for my needs, but the mac drivers really really suck.
here's the thread about it on the hp forum, many unhappy campers:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/Questio...9cd0f9,00.html

simonmartin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
Ok folks, here is an opportunity to present your problems with HP's drivers for a variety of equipment. Please keep the problems factual and please do not express your opinion. The facts only! I am an HP rep who uses a Mac and my boss asked me to put together a list of issues concerning Mac's OS X and OS 9. So lets here it.
Back up 15 and punt,

Hi,

I have an Officejet D155xi, this is a UK model, hope it makes some sense to you. I use it with OSX only.

The driver software is appalling. For a start I have to constantly quit an restart 'HP Director' or it just plain ignores any attempt to print.

When I do restart HP director I get a message saying something like 'HP Communications is not running. Press reset or quit' after that I an told ' The scanner is busy' etc etc.

I bought this bit of kit because of it's ability to print double sided. If I print multiple copies of the same document double sided the damn thing prints the first page of the doc *on each side of the first piece of paper* and then page two of the doc *on each side of the second sheet* and so on. This would be funny if it wasn't so stupid. The only way to print 50 documents double sided is to invoke a new print 50 times. Tragic.

The thing will continue printing although the inks are to low to make a decent print. It's incredibly irritating to find that you have walked away from a huge print job only to find that half the sheets have just enough ink on them to force you to throw them away. The machine should stop when this happens, not keep turning out waste paper.

I detest Epson because of their poor after sales service but at least I can just go 'file -> print' and the darned thing will usually just print. With HP I have to go through a five minute routine every time. If I get the routine wrong it turns into a twenty minute song-and-dance.

I hope you can get them to pull their act together.

Simon
( Last edited by simonmartin; Apr 12, 2003 at 05:19 AM. )

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2003, 12:04 PM

I have a series of HP Printers which have driver issues.

HP Laserjet 2200D, not all options are available in OSX drivers. slow Printing
OSX Native HP Laserjet utility not there which is very much needed

HP Laserjet 4550 color, Missing features in Driver and having color matching issues. OSX Native HP Laserjet utility not there which is very much needed

HP PSC 2210, Very slow drivers.

I hope that these issues get fixed soon.
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

cms
Senior User
Apr 12, 2003, 12:40 PM

I had an hp Photosmart 7150 and FINALLY got it working OK with OS X 10.2, hooked up to my 15" flat-screen iMac.

I won't go into the very tedious and boring story of how long it took for the right drivers to be developed and released......it's been covered here before. But the biggest problem I had once I'd got the damn thing working was that every time I tried printing from my 12" iBook over an Airport network connection (iMac acting as Software Base Station), every app I tried printing from would simply crash and quit. No print job, no nothing, just a sudden termination of whatever app I was using. This happened with MS Word, IE, Mail, Appleworks...you name it, it happened.

So, I tried the same set-up with an Epson Photo 915 and it works FLAWLESSLY every time. I can only guess that the hp drivers are not up to the job of handling wireless networking.

Pity. It was a nice printer. But I have to say I am more than happy with my Epson. I've seen the same problem on these boards before so I know I'm not the only one to whom this has happened. Time for hp to get its act together, I'd say, or continue to lose market share in the Mac community to Epson.....

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2003, 05:22 AM

I don't have any HP stuff.. but wow... that's kinda cool that you guys are actually going OUT to try and find what problems are out there and fix em... I'm really impressed...

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2003, 09:36 AM

How about my laserjet 1100a? Not only has HP not released a single driver for the scanning module and forced me to resort to using gimp-print, but they haven't even bothered to provide a driver solution for using this printer with windows XP!

As it stands, if I want to use the scanner (which I do) I have to run a fourth computer at home which is stuck at windows 98 se. I can at least network print to the printer, but the lack of support for the 1100a in any modern OS is beyond appalling.
Swimming upstream since 1994.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
No postscript driver for HP LJ 4500 - PS driver is available for Windows, but not for OS X.

Eric E.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 07:46 AM

I have a 970cxi printer, and it would print photos with very accurately colors with the extensions/software for OS 9.1 on my Mac G4. But it is not the case with the the 2.1 driver for Mac OS 10.2.3, which somehow gives out somewhat darker and greenish image. Yes, my monitor has been calibrated with Color Sync, and I believe that it only works with the HP software for OS 9.x and not for OS 10.x.

Eric

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2003, 11:40 AM

I have no problems with my deskjet 5550 printer, but having my scanjet 3570c plugged in, slowly brings OS X 10.2.5 to a halt, even with the latest drivers.
Pulling the USB cable out brings OS X to a complete stand still for about 10s, then things go back to normal speed. So it's clearly an issue when it's hooked up - strange.

Forum Links
Forum Rules