Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can "Schedule" integrate with an alarm clock?

Can "Schedule" integrate with an alarm clock?
mcs37
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 02:00 PM

When I buy a G5 PowerBook in 8 months, I'd like to be able to use it as an alarm clock. The NYTimes review of Panther says that OS 10.3's "Schedule" feature can shut down a machine and bring it back to life later. Is there an alarm clock for OS X that will integrate with this? So I can tell my machine to shut down at 11 PM when I go to bed, and with my alarm set to 8:00 a.m., it wakes up at 7:55 and fires the alarm clock right on time?

I'm getting excited about my unreleased G5 PowerBook. Macintosh, here I come! They just set up a new Mac lab on Cornell's campus, filled with G5 PowerMacs. I'm going to go play with it.

ixavi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 02:35 PM

Hey! First Message here!

Still a newbie but I think I can help you with this. Here is what I do:

Go to Applications->Applescript->Script editor and paste this for a beautiful wake-up

set volume 5 --play with this number until you feel confortable with the volume
tell application "iTunes"
activate
set sound volume to 0
play playlist "Wakeup"
set full screen to true
set visuals enabled to true
repeat 50 times
set sound volume to (sound volume + 2)
end repeat
end tell

Save it as an application and load it into your startup items. Then go to iTunes and create a playlist named Wakeup (be careful with the capital letters, must be the same in that in the script). Drag your favourite songs to that playlist (not a good idea waking up with techno ).
One more thing.... check that you have auto-login enabled, otherwise it will get stuck in the login screen.

If you do this, when your computer starts it will launch iTunes, enable the visuals at full screen, play your fav song and make a nice fade in.... COOL!

Take care.
Enough lies!

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 12:38 AM

WOW! That's a lot more work than I go through. First I turn the volume up real loud before I go to bed so it will wake me up, and the chime is pretty loud when it turns on but it's a nice thing to have be the first thing you hear in the morning. Set auto-login and put a song in your startup items. The chime wakes me up, but the song makes me get out of bed. Your way sounds a lot better than mine, but if it faded in I'd sleep through it, but then again I get about 3-4 hours of sleep a night and have to use both my computer and a *booby trapped* alarm clock to get me up in the moring.
|wishing is for suckers|

Forum Links
Forum Rules