Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 12" Revision A Overheating

PB 12" Revision A Overheating
MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 08:48 AM

I don't know how many other people have this problem, but the CPU on my PB reaches 64 degrees Celsius if I use it for an hour or two doing Photoshop work or even just playing a game. Well I decided to call Apple and see if they can fix this problem. Got my computer returned in two days and of course the claim that there is nothing wrong with it. So I call back to see what kind of tests were performed to determine if there is something wrong with the machine. Phone rep tells me that the tech run a DVD for 2 hours and the PB didn't get hot ...
After a half hour of me trying to explain him that's not enough he transfers me to a customer service rep. After talking to her for about half hour she admits that these PB's run a "bit" hot and tells me that I cannot keep my Laptop on my lap??? According to her PowerBooks are not laptops but portables instead ... So I bought a laptop that I cannot keep on my lap because it overheats.
So my question is, how hot does your 12" run and has someone send their PB to Apple due to heat issues and had it repaired.

Thanks

big fox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 08:59 AM

I have the same issue. Now that it starts getting winter it kinda comes in handy.
It�s not a bug, it�s a feature...

serious: In my experience Photoshop is the one application that starts my fan. Using the powerbook in any other way doesn�t cause too much overheating. Photoshop for some reason does. And - yes - it get�s really hot.

That�s to some extend normal.

Hope that helped.

Volker

Forum Links
Forum Rules