Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Erratic mouse pointer behaviour in StarCraft

Erratic mouse pointer behaviour in StarCraft
stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2004, 07:26 PM

Dear all,

All is set, just two days before another magnificent (yearly...) StarCraft event will take place at our student's house. This eavening I planned a little practising, but now this happened: the mouse pointer went nuts while playing StarCraft.... It's quite uncontrollable (it makes small leaps). It's an optical mouse (Logitech) and until now there have not been troubles of any kind. The pointer works just fine in any other app and also while opening a dialogue within the game everything turns to normal. Also playing the game in a small window (Apple-m) solves the strange behaviour.

It seems as if the computer can't cope with the advanced animation and calculation of the pointer trace at the same time...
But not on a G3 600/384! I restarted the computer, but to no avail. I'm running it under Mac OSX Jaguar.

Does anyone have a single clue of what might be the problem?! It's just weird!

cheers,

Stefan

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2004, 05:14 AM

I haven't played it on Panther, since I'm not running Panther yet. I haven't experienced any problem like that on Jaguar. However, I do know of jittery pointer movement related to Starcraft. On my OS 8.6 machine, the pointer is artificially accelerated and jittery after the application is quit. I believe the problem is/was related to some GameSprockets global variable because another game that uses GameSprockets exhibits the same behaivor. Your problem sounds similar. I would reinstall the application.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

stefls  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I haven't played it on Panther, since I'm not running Panther yet. I haven't experienced any problem like that on Jaguar. However, I do know of jittery pointer movement related to Starcraft. On my OS 8.6 machine, the pointer is artificially accelerated and jittery after the application is quit. I believe the problem is/was related to some GameSprockets global variable because another game that uses GameSprockets exhibits the same behaivor. Your problem sounds similar. I would reinstall the application.
Hey Big Mac,

Sounds like a smart thing to do. I'll do this tonight and will be back with the result. Thanks!

gr,

Stefan

stefls  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 09:14 PM

But this seems a little less trivial than I thought; since I haven't installed the classic environment. Now I'll have to wait untill early morning dawn for one of my house mates, because he has an OS 9 system and at the moment he's tight asleep... That's kinda cool though: installing it one one computer and just copy it to another!

stefls  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2004, 09:53 AM

I would reinstall the application. [/B]
Well, that's what I did, but unfortunately the same result. Since I cannot think of anything better to do, I'm going to reinstall the system software...

stefls  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by stefls:
Well, that's what I did, but unfortunately the same result. Since I cannot think of anything better to do, I'm going to reinstall the system software...
Which I did and tadaaaa. Up and running.
How's that for a solution...?

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 08:26 PM

Which I did and tadaaaa. Up and running.
How's that for a solution...?
My guess is that the problem was something to do with the mouse drivers. I have a Logitech mouse but use USB Overdrive on 10.3.2. Very rarely from time to time, the cursor does jump slightly. My mousepad is quite worn, though.

stefls  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2004, 07:43 AM

AAAAh,

Again!!!
It's driving me nuts!

stefls  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2004, 08:47 PM

AAAAh,

Again!!!
It's driving me nuts!
So, ultimately I went back to OS 9.
Truth to be told: felt like coming home. Such simplicity, such graciousness, such responsiveness... OS 9 saved the day

Only I couldn't get the right mouse button to act as a right mouse button... Ah well, Apple-click did the job.

Forum Links
Forum Rules