Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Pushing Panther leaves Jag user behind... no Safari 1.2 (yet)

Pushing Panther leaves Jag user behind... no Safari 1.2 (yet)
stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 03:52 PM

It has already been mentioned in this another thread (http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=200173) but only briefly. What do you think of the fact Safari (at least until now) has not seen a major upgrade for Jaguar? Do you think we will see one in the near future?

Personally I already feared this tactic would be implemented by Apple. However, for me (Jaguar user), there are not many apps that really need substantial development. Mostly I'm satisfied enough. Only Safari is a big exemption: I often have to startup IE for sites that are secured and that Safari will not or not handle properly. Since development of IE has been halted, it seems from now on the internet expercience will not get any better... (Or am I overlooking other browsers?) I'm just looking for one browser that can handle all sorts of pages. Omniweb and Opera look great, work fine, but not good enough (no access to my University's intranet). One thing I will not do: upgrade to Panther (already spent enough on 10.0, .1 and .2). I will not let Apple force me to upgrade on a yearly basis, although they are really doing tremendous efforts to make me do it after all.

Kind regards,

Stefan

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by stefls:
Do you think we will see one in the near future?
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=200779
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2004, 03:58 PM

You should try Mozilla Firebird.

About Safari, no I don't see Apple updating it for Jaguar since they are using a lot of new features only present in Panther, and Apple doesn't want to add those to Jaguar, supposedly too much wor for a "obsolete" OS version.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2004, 05:33 PM

Safari 1.2 is a free update for Mac OS X 10.3 users.
It's a $129 update for users of Mac OS X 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2.

Apple has said there won't be a version 1.2 for pre-10.3 users due to core changes in the OS.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 07:08 PM

I'm not necessarily defending Apple here, but I'd like to think they have a valid reason for this. Panther does bring tremendous improvements, and I'd say it's worth the upgrade. If you're an education student or teacher, you can get it for $69... I found that the improved speed and stability was easily worth the upgrade alone.

Safari is being offered for free. I'd be a lot more upset if it was an app you paid for and the .x upgrade wasn't offered on your OS.

stefls  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2004, 05:30 PM

I do understand that the 1.2 version of Safari will not work on Jag because it uses some special functions of the Panther OS. It's just that I find it not good that within a year of purchasing a brand new computer (with Jag), you can't even update the platforms no. 1 browser (quite an essential and basic functionality) anymore without spending quite an amount of money (for Panther). And I don't need Panther an sich, although I believe you that it's a real improvement.
The penalty for not going with the quick upgrade pace of Apple is quite high. Of course it's very well possible for Apple to keep beefing up Safari for Jag at least for several years, but from an economic standpoint I do understand they won't. Still I don't like this tactic. Just my 2 cents.
( Last edited by stefls; Feb 9, 2004 at 05:36 PM. )

stefls  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2004, 05:33 PM

oops

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 10:24 PM

It has already been mentioned in this another thread (http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=200173) but only briefly. What do you think of the fact Safari (at least until now) has not seen a major upgrade for Jaguar? Do you think we will see one in the near future?

Personally I already feared this tactic would be implemented by Apple. However, for me (Jaguar user), there are not many apps that really need substantial development. Mostly I'm satisfied enough. Only Safari is a big exemption: I often have to startup IE for sites that are secured and that Safari will not or not handle properly. Since development of IE has been halted, it seems from now on the internet expercience will not get any better... (Or am I overlooking other browsers?) I'm just looking for one browser that can handle all sorts of pages. Omniweb and Opera look great, work fine, but not good enough (no access to my University's intranet). One thing I will not do: upgrade to Panther (already spent enough on 10.0, .1 and .2). I will not let Apple force me to upgrade on a yearly basis, although they are really doing tremendous efforts to make me do it after all.

Kind regards,

Stefan
Silly, use Firefox 0.8 (http://www.mozilla.org). It's the best 10.2 browser for some. Also, they're hardly forcing you to upgrade by making cool new apps run only on 10.3;
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 10:28 PM

Kind regards,

Stefan
Silly, use Firefox 0.8 (http://www.mozilla.org). It's the best 10.2 browser for some. Also, they're hardly forcing you to upgrade by making cool new apps run only on 10.3; your 10.2 apps still work fine.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 11:00 PM

I see it the other way around... I am one of those people that paid $129 for the "Upgrade" to OS 10.3... Many of the new features didn't make it in to the update, so those of us who paid the cash are only now receiving the true upgrades that we deserve.

10.2 users have other options... but if you want the Apple option, you need to give them the $$$'s... It stinks, but it's the way it is...

dru
Senior User
Feb 10, 2004, 01:28 AM

You're better off *without* Safari 1.2. This release is a lemon and I've reverted to 1.1.1. I've experienced numerous crashes with Safari 1.2 that I did not experience with 1.1.1 as well as my first ever debug report of a memory (world) leak.

Panther is very snappy but the Finder is horrible. On that level, updating from Jaguar is a mixed blessing.

Try Mozilla, Firebird/FireFox, or Chimera/Camino instead if Safari is not meeting your browsing needs.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

stefls  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2004, 03:03 PM

Ok, I'll check out the alternatives; at least there seem to be plenty! Thanks for your replies.
S.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 04:12 PM

OmniWeb 5, once it emerges from beta, is another excellent alternative. Shareware but you can use it for free (with minor reminders) as long as you wish.

Forum Links
Forum Rules