Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbooks, iBooks, and iMacs, oh my!

Powerbooks, iBooks, and iMacs, oh my!
ryter221
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2005, 08:57 PM

OK, I have a new problem. The Powerbook. First off, I get the iBook and I would have to buy an external DVD burner since I will only buy a 12" laptop. This kind of minimizes the portability and the reason for buying a laptop. If I get the iMac, I lose the portability. Now, if I get the Powerbook, I get a 12" monitor with portability and a Superdrive, but at the cost of $1,499 for a laptop. (I have an education discount since my dad goes to college and is in the Armed Forces.) I want a fast computer with a DVD burner, a 12" monitor if laptop and 17" if desktop, with preferred portability. I know this is really repetitive because I can't make up my mind, but just advise me, please!
"This grain of sand looks pretty suspicious. And so does this rock! And I've got some questions for this little piece of grass!"

ideasculptor
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2005, 09:08 PM

You've already basically answered your own question. First, only you can decide whether you truly NEED portable computing. Look at your prospective use and make a decision. We can't help you there. If you don't need a portable, then the iMac is obviously the way to go since you get the monitor size you want and a superdrive, plus a faster processor and hard drive. If you must have a portable, you've already answered your question. If a superdrive is a requirement and you won't go larger than 12", then you must get the powerbook. The external DVD burner will just be a pain in the ass for you if you really need it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules