Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Speckles in Display (Not dead pixels)

Speckles in Display (Not dead pixels)
grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2005, 10:56 AM

So all of a sudden a few days ago all these little specks appeared on my display. And I'm not talking one or two, but hundreds all over my desktop. As I move windows around or do anything that causes that area of the screen to be redrawn, they move around as well in a random array. They look like traditional dead pixels, but when I take a screen shot, the specks are included which rules out a problem with the display itself. It also exists on both displays (current apple 20").

I tried pulling out the video card and re-seating it, as well as making sure the cable connection is solid. Is it possible this is a software problem? Any ideas? Two pictures of the problem below. Thanks for any thoughts.

Edit: System is a Dual 1.8 G5 and the video card is a Radeon 9800 Pro, bought aftermarket from Apple.

"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

crooner
Senior User
Sep 3, 2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by grovberg
So all of a sudden a few days ago all these little specks appeared on my display. And I'm not talking one or two, but hundreds all over my desktop. As I move windows around or do anything that causes that area of the screen to be redrawn, they move around as well in a random array. They look like traditional dead pixels, but when I take a screen shot, the specks are included which rules out a problem with the display itself. It also exists on both displays (current apple 20").

I tried pulling out the video card and re-seating it, as well as making sure the cable connection is solid. Is it possible this is a software problem? Any ideas? Two pictures of the problem below. Thanks for any thoughts.

Edit: System is a Dual 1.8 G5 and the video card is a Radeon 9800 Pro, bought aftermarket from Apple.

The only time I've seen this is on a display with a failing power supply. Check that out.
Also, have you tried creating a new user account to see if the artifacts show up there?

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2005, 02:56 PM

If its showing up on screen captures, then there's either something corrupted at the OS/driver level, or your video card itself is failing or overheating. Check the card's fan to make sure its running properly.

osxisfun
Sep 4, 2005, 03:08 PM

I think there is a part of your vid card's ram that is bad.

i had this happen to me in that with one LCD hooked up the card was fine. hooked up a 2nd lcd up to same card at same time and green things appeared. apple sent me a new card and all was well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules