Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > SUV backover deaths: What can be done?

SUV backover deaths: What can be done? (Page 5)
anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 10:55 AM

^

You should try driving in NJ for a while. I've been to Texas a few times, and the drivers there are a godsend compared to NJ.

Fyre4ce  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Fine. But trust US, you do NOT want the US to go down the path IT is currently on.
The US consumes more energy per capita than any other country in the world. That's a bad thing, but if people made more logical choices, it woudd go a long way.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Fyre4ce  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Perhaps this is the case.

I'll tell you why I'm really sticking up for the SUVs though. Over here there's an inordinate amount of car haters - like, proper "nobody should have their own car" type people. Damn dirty hippies, the lot of them - I'm sure that the vast majority of them want to actually see an end to all private ownership of everything.

The whole situation is quite bizarre.
Literally - you could take any normal car and you'd be fine but put a badge saying "4x4" on that same car and you'll suddenly get a huge bunch of hippies in your face. They're fine with the normal Suzuki Swift, for example, but start calling you a fascist if you get the model with AWD (because it actually says "4x4" not "AWD" on the back, IIRC).

So basically, I get hippies in my face all the time here whining about 4x4s and SUVs. Not directly to my face, obviously, because I look like a mean biker type who'd eat their babies - but via indirect methods. So my conditioned automatic reaction to anyone suggesting that someone not drive an SUV if they want to is to argue against whatever it is that they're saying. Trust me, you do not want America to go down the path that Europe's currently on.

If heavily-taxed gasoline would get, say, half the SUV's off America's roads, and the only price I had to pay was some wacko communist hippies running around proposing public ownership of property, I would pay it gladly.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2005, 11:59 AM

Not gonna happen. You guys are just going to have to bite the pillow, and accept that SUVs will always be around in some way shape or form. No amount of whining, or FUD spreading will change that.

It's got to the point that this anti-SUV obsession people have has gotten to the point of showing symptoms of Psychosis

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 9, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by anim8ing
^

You should try driving in NJ for a while. I've been to Texas a few times, and the drivers there are a godsend compared to NJ.
Oh.

My.

God.

In.

Heaven!!!

How does anyone survive if the drivers are worse than they are here?

Of course I should mention that at least in San Antonio the drivers are seldom actively out to get you (unless you're on a motorcycle, that is-everyone is out to get you if you're on two wheels). In the Dallas area they seem to be intent on keeping one in either the far left or far right lane, and in the Houston area they seem to want to all go 137.6MPH or faster, with scant inches between cars. And some Houston drivers do seem to want to test that physics rule about two objects not occupying the same space at one time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:32 PM

Let's see wise ass, if you had half a clue you would understand that bike racks offer little to no security to anything attached to them. SECURITY. I don't care about getting it beat to hell, I care about it walking off the back of my vehicle. when I run to get a new tire/tube/chain/derailer/etc.
Then get a minivan. Larger cargo capacity, and a lower floor for easier loading and unloading of your bikes. Oh but wait, you want the poser outdoorsy image. In order to have that you need to be using more of our resources and be more dangerous to everyone including yourself by purchasing an OFF ROAD VEHICLE even though you don't offroad.

Maybe if you actually thought before you posted you would understand more. Oh wait, that's why you've been banned at least 20 times this year alone.

Edit: I also paid attention to the actual number of cars on the way in to work like someone else had mentioned, and sorry, but they were wrong. Cars outnumbered SUVs buy a number of 2-1 easily.
Maybe if you thought before you posted you'd realize I never said to count the number of cars. Cars OBVIOUSLY still outnumber SUVs, but the ratio has changed drastically in the last decade due to SUVs being produced in huge numbers, of 10x what was being produced in the early 90s. What I said was count the number of SPORTS cars, and count the number of SUVs. But hey, it's obvious you didn't think before posting.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Not gonna happen. You guys are just going to have to bite the pillow, and accept that SUVs will always be around in some way shape or form. No amount of whining, or FUD spreading will change that.

It's got to the point that this anti-SUV obsession people have has gotten to the point of showing symptoms of Psychosis
Hrm. Pray for me then.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 12:50 PM

Then get a minivan. Larger cargo capacity, and a lower floor for easier loading and unloading of your bikes. Oh but wait, you want the poser outdoorsy image. In order to have that you need to be using more of our resources and be more dangerous to everyone including yourself by purchasing an OFF ROAD VEHICLE even though you don't offroad.

Maybe if you thought before you posted you'd realize I never said to count the number of cars. Cars OBVIOUSLY still outnumber SUVs, but the ratio has changed drastically in the last decade due to SUVs being produced in huge numbers, of 10x what was being produced in the early 90s. What I said was count the number of SPORTS cars, and count the number of SUVs. But hey, it's obvious you didn't think before posting.

My post about counting the number of cars wasn't directed at you, but if you READ the posts in the thread you would have known that, now wouldn't you ? Go replace the window in your honda. . . and where's my brick

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:54 PM

My post about counting the number of cars wasn't directed at you, but if you READ the posts in the thread you would have known that, now wouldn't you ? Go replace the window in your honda. . . and where's my brick
I have read the posts in this thread...which one are your referring to?

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 12:56 PM

lemme find it for ya. gimme a sec.

andi*pandi
Nov 9, 2005, 12:58 PM

oh my god, someone kill this thread. It makes me want to buy a Ford Expedition.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
Then you are an idiot and incapable of reading information and coming to rational decisions.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 01:05 PM

How many vipers do you see on teh way to work? How many sports cars in general? I want you to count them. Or find out how many are registered at your local DMV or in your state. Now find hte number of SUVs registered, or count those. You'll find that there are MUCH MUCH MUCH more SUVS on the road than sports cars.

I will end your fantasy by telling you that i counted at least 2x the number of SUVs with "sports cars" and I can back it up by saying that if Ford calls my explorer an SUV (which it really isn't designed to do), then the Mustang is a "sports car" because they calim it to be.

Take that home and chew on it. . . it's delicious

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 01:05 PM

I will agree with rob that the Expedition is WAY too big, Excursion included as well

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 01:06 PM

I will end your fantasy by telling you that i counted at least 2x the number of SUVs with "sports cars" and I can back it up by saying that if Ford calls my explorer an SUV (which it really isn't designed to do), then the Mustang is a "sports car" because they calim it to be.

Take that home and chew on it. . . it's delicious
If you're talking about a Saleen, sure. But if you're talking about a regular GT or V6 mustang, sorry, no, it isn't. They are not capable of driving like a sports car.... so... doesn't really count.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 01:07 PM

Well, you call your insurance company and ask them what THEY classify it as. Same as any Camaro, Firebird, etc, etc.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 01:09 PM

Well, you call your insurance company and ask them what THEY classify it as. Same as any Camaro, Firebird, etc, etc.
The insurance for a v6 mustang will not be ANYWHERE NEAR the insruance rates for a cobra or saleen.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 01:15 PM

We aren't talking insurance rates here, we're talking about Sports Car classification and SUV classification. I'm right, you're wrong, just deal with it. No sense in dereailing the thread anymore when you got it wrong.

Fyre4ce  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 01:21 PM

If you want to buy an Expedition just to p*** Rob and me off, it would be a lot easier to buy 100 or so gallons of gasoline and pour it into a river somewhere. It would be cheaper for you and p*** us off a lot more. More p*** for your buck, so to speak.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2005, 01:25 PM

oh my god, someone kill this thread. It makes me want to buy a Hummer with a 12" suspension lift on it
Correctinated.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 01:41 PM

We aren't talking insurance rates here, we're talking about Sports Car classification and SUV classification. I'm right, you're wrong, just deal with it. No sense in dereailing the thread anymore when you got it wrong.
No, you aren't. Does anyon here consider a v6 mustang a sportscar? Even if you count them, I still doubt you'd come out ahead. I look out on my street lined with vehicles, I currently see SEVEN SUVs designed for offroading who's owners live in DOWNTOWN milwaukee, and zero sports cars. I don't even see a v6 mustang. The sportiest car I can see is... hrm... either a ford ZX2 or an older 1980s thunderbird.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 01:48 PM

Ok, I too took a look in my parking lot outside my office.

6 x SUVs
20 x Sports cars . . . infiniti G35s, mustangs, camaros, few celicas, and even an NSX.
17 x Family cars
8 x mini vans

and a partridge in a pear tree.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 01:50 PM

Where do you live? What area? What job are you working at? Your results are like nothing I have ever seen before. Even my wife's publishing company has way more SUVs than sports cars in the lot.

BTW, Celicas are not ****ing sports cars. They're FWD vehicles with under 200hp. They are secretary cars.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 01:58 PM

I'm at work, not at home. And all the cars outside belong to the pilots.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2005, 02:05 PM

BTW, Celicas are not ****ing sports cars. They're FWD vehicles with under 200hp. They are secretary cars.
Rob, insurance companies classify them as such. Sports cars don't have to be RWD and 350hp to be classified as sports cars.

That's just something you made up yourself.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 02:06 PM

I'm going to take some pics on my way to school.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 02:09 PM

of what? your 1970 accord ? I'd LOVE to see that beast. BTW, the only reason people stare at that SVX (i think it's called) is probably to comment on how hideous it is. I mean, honestly whats with the divided windows ?

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2005, 02:13 PM

If you're talking about a Saleen, sure. But if you're talking about a regular GT or V6 mustang, sorry, no, it isn't. They are not capable of driving like a sports car.... so... doesn't really count.

SVX: http://www.subarusvx.com/specs.html
Horsepower: 230 bhp
0-60 MPH: 7.3 seconds
1/4 Mile: 15.4 seconds @ 92.5 mph
Skidpad: 0.85 g
Top Speed: 143 mph
Mileage: 17 / 25 mpg
Weight: 3,580 pounds
Minimum Stopping Distance from 60 mph: 134 feet

Mustang GT:http://www.modernracer.com/fordmustanggt2005.html
Horsepower : 300 hp @ 5750 rpm
Torque : 320 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
Redline : 6250 rpm
Top speed : 143 mph
0-60 mph : 5.1 sec.(manual)
0-ΒΌ mile : 13.9 sec @ 104.0 mph
60-0 braking distance : 120 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.87 g
Curb Weight : 3483-3518 lbs(coupe)

I'm not saying the Mustang is better, but to say it's not a sports car...?

(Sorry to the original poster that this is getting so off-topic)
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Rob, insurance companies classify them as such. Sports cars don't have to be RWD and 350hp to be classified as sports cars.

That's just something you made up yourself.
So you're saying paying 'sports car insurance' for a celica would be about like paying sports car insurance for a viper?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2005, 02:21 PM

People who spend their time arguing against SUVs in a Mac forum are retarded.

andi*pandi
Nov 9, 2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Correctinated.
bwahaha!

and rob, fyre, you really should adjust your sarcasmometer. It's out of wack.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 02:26 PM

BTW, the only reason people stare at that SVX (i think it's called) is probably to comment on how hideous it is. I mean, honestly whats with the divided windows ?
Yeah really! Cars with divided windows! That design feature is just ridiculous and awful!

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 02:32 PM

One of my friends actually owned one of those, and I can't say that I was impressed @ all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules