Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The one issue I'm tired of hearing about...

The one issue I'm tired of hearing about...
No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2006, 04:35 AM

"OMG my iPod is sooo scratched! When is Apple going to address this issue?!?"

Yeah. It scratches easily, just like $400 sunglasses when you jam them in your pocket. Buy a case for your iPod and be done with it.

"Well for $400 bucks I shouldn't HAVE to buy a good case!" It's called protecting your investment. Now quit whining, do a little research and pick a good, solid case. Problem solved.

Feel free to attack me if you think I'm being a dick here.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2006, 11:59 AM

I bought the socks cause I honestly couldn't find one that I liked...

bourgeoisie
Feb 7, 2006, 12:44 PM

i think you're being a dick.

but i couldn't agree more, it's a portable electronic device, of course it's going to get scratched.
green links don't belong to me!

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bourgeoisie
i think you're being a dick.

but i couldn't agree more, it's a portable electronic device, of course it's going to get scratched.
Every other "portable electronic" I have ever owned didn't scratch as bad in 3 years of use as my Nano did in 4 hours in a soft pocket.

Seriously.

"Barwaraaawww"

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2006, 02:55 PM

I think Apple can use a better material. I do not take care of my cell phone, I put it in my pocket with my keys and other junk, I toss it around and the screen is still in very good condition... I don't know what they use on the cell phone screen but, I don't have to breath on it and worry about it scratching the screen.

I think I have a very good theory as to why Apple made their iPods so delicate... and here it is.

If Apple made the iPods really scratch resistant and durable, then people would toss them around and handle them rough just because they know it won't scratch.... This would be a very bad thing cause a hard drive isn't designed to take that much abuse and before you know it, everybody would have broken useless iPods, but there would be no scratches.

So I say, even if you get the worlds toughest case for it, remember not to treat it like it's the worlds toughest iPod.... there is however NO excuse for the Nano ;-).

bourgeoisie
Feb 7, 2006, 08:02 PM

boo hoo, a few scratches don't affect the usability, and when it gets to the point where you can't see the screen anymore then go buy yourself a $3 can of brasso and take care of it. things don't stay new forever, it's a music player, let it play music and quit cryin' about it.

kadoyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2006, 08:11 PM

boo hoo, a few scratches don't affect the usability, and when it gets to the point where you can't see the screen anymore then go buy yourself a $3 can of brasso and take care of it. things don't stay new forever, it's a music player, let it play music and quit cryin' about it.
you're being a dick.

these iPods scratch amazingly fast and they are everywhere. yes, they are made to play music and etc. but they are also made the way they are to look sleek and smooth, not scratched and trashy. some of us like to keep our expensive gadgets in good shape.

for those who have the problem of wanting to keep your iPod scratch free, there is this product called Applesauce Polish. it works wonders! its only about $20, too. definitely worth it. or just take it to a jewelers and have them buff out the scratches with a ceramic buffer.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by kadoyle
you're being a dick.

these iPods scratch amazingly fast and they are everywhere. yes, they are made to play music and etc. but they are also made the way they are to look sleek and smooth, not scratched and trashy. some of us like to keep our expensive gadgets in good shape.

for those who have the problem of wanting to keep your iPod scratch free, there is this product called Applesauce Polish. it works wonders! its only about $20, too. definitely worth it. or just take it to a jewelers and have them buff out the scratches with a ceramic buffer.
Have you used Applesause? I saw the instructions online and it looks like there's a lot of work just to get the scratches out. You gotta keep rubbing it and rubbing it ever so gently and it tells you that if the scratch is still there, work at it every night until it's gone. Does that polish stuff actually melt away the plastic a little bit? Otherwise how would it get the scratched out unless it actually melted the surface down to the depth of the scratch.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Feb 8, 2006, 06:10 AM

Applesauce and all of the other products actually fill the scratches.

As for the scratchability, I am one who would agree with you, except that keeping your iPod scratch free increases resale value. I took my Nano and put a vinyl cover over it, then in a Toughskin case and then in an iPod sock. Took the cover off to switch to another one...fine hairline scratches ALL over the face. Now that is ridiculous.

My friend's 4GB nano was in a$50 Prie case and that thing came out F*@KED up. with serious scratches from the threads of the case. Now that is total and utter bishop.

So in the case, we have right to complain when taking out of the box = scratches.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2006, 09:39 AM

I put my iPod BACK in the box for a day and the iPod BOX put a small circular scratch right on the screen.

ben.mcguire
Feb 8, 2006, 10:50 AM

Go in your top draw, get out a sock, put iPod in it = no scratches + its free

ben.mcguire
Feb 8, 2006, 11:08 AM

Double post sorry
( Last edited by ben.mcguire; Feb 8, 2006 at 11:58 AM. )

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2006, 03:26 PM

www.theinvisibleshield.com

Used it for my cell phone, and its amazing....highly recommend

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

kadoyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by ben.mcguire
Go in your top draw, get out a sock, put iPod in it = no scratches + its free
using your own sock scratches the iPod surface worse than the leather pouch that comes with the 30GB iPods.

i heard the invisible shields work fantastic. i havent tried it yet though.

bourgeoisie
Feb 9, 2006, 03:34 AM

if you don't like the scratches, buy a different music player...simple as that.

ben.mcguire
Feb 9, 2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by kadoyle
using your own sock scratches the iPod surface worse than the leather pouch that comes with the 30GB iPods.

i heard the invisible shields work fantastic. i havent tried it yet though.
No way! thats is pretty poor.

kadoyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 02:37 PM

if you don't like the scratches, buy a different music player...simple as that.
...or i can keep my iPod and find a product that will take the scratches out. simple as that.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 07:48 AM

Fact: Some of the whiners are ridiculous.

Fact: Anybody filing suit over this is ridiculous.

Fact: If you've only been here at MacNN a few months and you're "sick" of something, you should consider going elsewhere.

That being said, I'd be first in line for an iPod made of the bulletproof black plastic they used to make the Pismo PowerBooks from. I'll take a mobile phone in that material, too, thank you. Seems just in the last couple of years that every piece of tech you buy has to be babied to stay nice.

TheSpaz's point about jamming (old) cellphones in your pockets with keys and them coming out fine is spot-on. I don't think it's too much to expect allegedly MOBILE technology to be ruggedized just a little bit. This whole style over function thing of late is getting tiresome.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2006, 09:33 AM

The iPod-scratch-thing is slightly annoying for those of us who enjoy its aesthetics. A lot of us have regretted our existence for a few days the first time we saw that whopping big scratch on our new iPod. After a while one learns to ignore these things, after all it is wear and tear, and this is just the way the product is. In any case, who else finds the silver spraypaint used on most phones - that rubs off to reveal the crude grey underskin - far more annoying?

Forum Links
Forum Rules