Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Tiger Server - Password Change Breaks FTP only accounts?

Tiger Server - Password Change Breaks FTP only accounts?
grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2006, 03:30 PM

First off, I'm a bit green when it comes to server administration. I've created a few accounts using workgroup manager that are used to access AFP shares, and used for the blog system that comes with Tiger server. In those cases I made up garbage passwords and had them use the Change Password function in the Connect to Server dialog to put in their own passwords. I recently created about 25 accounts with only access through FTP for a web design class. On the first day of class, I had them use the same Change Password function and had them try to log in. Not a single one could do so. Further experimentation concluded that when you use the Change Password function, it mangles your password through FTP. I have no idea why this would be, and I find it hard to believe that this is standard behavior, but I am lost as to a cause.

So I guess my question is two-fold...1.) is there any other way for users to change their own passwords on accounts built in the workgroup manager and 2.) is there any way for me to make this work?

Any advice about this (and any advice for batch creating accounts too) would be wildly appreciated.

Thanks.
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Forum Links
Forum Rules