Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iPod Hi-Fi

New iPod Hi-Fi
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2006, 02:43 PM

Here's the iLounge scoop on the newly introduced iPod Hi-Fi:

iPod Hi-Fi
Home stereo. Reinvented.
Looks like a center channel speaker with iPod dock on top.
Comes with inserts for every iPod. Two buttons - volume control.
Pull black grille off of white box to reveal three speaker drivers.
Integrated power supply - no brick.
Power it off of six D-size batteries if you want. "Several hours outside."
Two 80mm mid-range drivers in sealed acoustic suspension.
In center is 130mm dual voice coil woofer, ported bass reflex design.
Great bass, doesn't distort when cranked up.
Universal Dock connector and integrated handles.
It's a sealed resin enclosure, and doesn't vibrate.
IPod integration: there's a software update for iPods that puts a speaker menu item in the main menu.
Tone control, backlight always on or off, large album art on or off.
Screen can go black and just show album art.
Controlled with the Apple Remote.
Price: $349 - Goes on sale today.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 03:07 PM

*puts credit card back in wallet*

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2006, 03:12 PM

I can't believe how poor the design of that thing is. They just yoinked a boom outta some kid's Honda Civic, glued an iPod dock onto it, and painted the whole thing white. Couldn't they have at least integrated the iPod into the design?

Altec's solution is far more elegant (even if it doesn't sound as good).

GoDucks
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 03:17 PM

I agree...

It's "nice" but I guess I was expecting something a little more from Apple with respect to this product. Unless it's one of those products that blows you away when you see it in person, I'll be taking a pass on this. I was hoping for something with airport that would allow you to wirelessly sync from your desktop/laptop as well perhaps even a built in HD to allow store your music so that you could play music if you took the iPod out (with DRM of course so that the HiFi counted as one of your authorized computers.)

While I'm at it, if the mini is taking steps to become a digital media hub, what's with the skimpy HD's?

dndog
Feb 28, 2006, 03:22 PM

I disagree. I think apple designed this with simplicity as well as catering to the audiophiles out there - I'm much more excited for a great sounding speaker system for my iPod rather than a medoicre one.

And I'm sure it will look great in person.
(sold)12" 1.33ghz iBook G4 512mb Ram [my first osx mac, way too slow]
(sold)15" 1.67ghz 1gig Ram Powerbook [I need more power a.k.a. Macbook]
15" 1.83ghz 1gig Ram MacBook Pro

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2006, 03:33 PM

Maybe I'm lacking Steve's vision, but I'm failing to see how this is worthy of anything but a silent addition to the store. Yeah, it's great that Apple now can make money in the already populated marketplace of iPod speaker sets, but why all the fuss?

And just a personal gripe -- can they PLEASE stop talking about the Apple Remote as if it's something special? Front Row is one thing, but touting the amazing ability to control your music from bed with a remote control is downright insulting. My first boombox, bought in 1986, had a wireless remote that allowed me to control my music from bed, too.

And when you want to control music playback but you don’t want to get out of bed, just keep the Apple Remote handy.
Way to revolutionize the world, Apple.

Hopefully this is just Step 1 in a much larger home media plan.
It's the devil's way now.

atc ben
Feb 28, 2006, 03:41 PM

Are you kidding me?! That thing is absolutely hideous! It looks like a speaker enlosure you'd find under the seat of an old Jeep. I wouldn't put that thing in my trunk, much less on a bookshelf in my house. And what's with the "reinforced handles"?
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2006, 03:52 PM

Two big gripes for me. First, price. For $400 I'd buy a new iPod. Yeah, people said the same thing about the iPod when it first came out (I was not one of them), but this is just speakers, even if they sound great. Second, no built-in AirTunes. On the iPod Hi-Fi site, they describe how to plug an AirPort Express into the Hi-Fi via the optical digital audio in. But (other than to sell more gear), why not add a WiFi card to the Hi-Fi, make it a network client, and have it pop up on the AirTunes button of iTunes as a speaker to play to. THAT would be more Apple-like. Also, would probably add another $50-75 to the retail price. Bummer.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2006, 03:53 PM

I think it looks OK.

atc ben
Feb 28, 2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I think it looks OK.

You think that big white and black brick of plastic looks OK? Different strokes I guess. Look at the way the iPod just sticks out of the top of it. I think everyone who had a hand in designing it should be fired immediately, if not sooner.
My

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 04:06 PM

I'm not sure a scratched-face ipod woulkd look nearly as nice as the factory-fresh model pictured. Also not sure it would be worth it to pull it out of its case every time I want to use it.

I do like the simple look though. Would fit in anywhere, from dorm to office to living room. Apple excels at that kind of design, and this is no exception. It is just a shame that EVERY person I know with an iPod that sees even moderate use is either all roughed up in the front or in a case that makes using it in a dock cumbersome.

The way the iPod stands up so tall and bold atop the speaker makes it a huge focal centerpiece for the system, and the condition of the ipod will make or break the elegance of the system's appearance, ultimately.

I agree with the prior post: putting a wifi card to make it something iTunes can stream to quickly and easily would be VERY Apple, especially since if these are audiophile-quality speakers, streaming Apple Loseless to them would allow users with a CD in their computer or just higher-bitrate encodes to make the most of this high end product.
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2006, 04:10 PM

I'd take this any day over the Chimney Brick.

It's the devil's way now.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by jmelrose
I agree with the prior post: putting a wifi card to make it something iTunes can stream to quickly and easily would be VERY Apple.
You can attach this to an Airport Express.
Originally Posted by jmelrose
especially since if these are audiophile-quality speakers.
That I don't believe.

porieux
Baninated
Feb 28, 2006, 04:56 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 06:43 AM. )

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
You can attach this to an Airport Express.
What can't you attach an Airport Express to?

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 06:07 PM

Don't overlook the digital input on the back which pairs up nicely with the digital output from the new minis. It's a minimalist home entertainment system paired to go with each other!
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

turbopants
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 06:39 PM

I think it should sound quite good, and it looks great, but at $350 it's a tad too much for my tastes. I guess it will come down in price by the holidays. I really wanted wifi in there to stream iTunes radio.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 07:21 PM

I agree with pookjp. I would much rather have one of those Bose soundocks. do the video pods fit in that though?

atc ben
Feb 28, 2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
I agree with pookjp. I would much rather have one of those Bose soundocks. do the video pods fit in that though?
you guys want a nice iPod hi-fi? Check out the Klipsch I-Fi. It's a few bucks more than this Apple monstrosity, but it sounds amazing, and it isn't hard on the eyes.
My

redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 08:02 PM

These all-in-one bricks are a throwback to the early 20th century before S-T-E-R-E-O was invented. Back when we had hand-cranked phonographs with a single speaker. To give any of these systems an "audiophile" moniker is simply false advertising.

iPod Hi-Fi screams of planned obsolescence. Anyone remember the iSub?

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 08:16 PM

ooh i forgot about the klipsch I-Fi. Klipsch makes some sweet speaker systems.

The only problem for me is that I dont really play music anywhere but at my desk and when out on the street or traveling. So other than the pbook, and the vpod, I dont need anything else.

Dark Sailor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by dndog
I disagree. I think apple designed this with simplicity as well as catering to the audiophiles out there - I'm much more excited for a great sounding speaker system for my iPod rather than a medoicre one.

And I'm sure it will look great in person.
Few "audiophiles" would settle for a $350 speaker system for their music, or listen to their music in mp3 format...CD or vinyl, perhaps...but Apple is just using the "Hi-Fi" term without it being very meaningful. Hi-Fi compared to what?

I'm sure it sounds decent compared to most other iPod speaker solutions. But if someone is interested in really good sound from their iPod, just run an aux line into a decent stereo system.

Personally, I use a Yamaha receiver and a pair of B&W 602 speakers when I want to rock music off of my iPod or Powerbook out loud, and it sounds great. Overall, it wasn't very expensive, and it looks a whole lot better on a bookshelf than that rigged ghetto blaster that Apple released today.

At any rate, I'm not trying to jab at what you wrote above...you're statement just got me thinking along this line. Nothing personal.

Also, by the way, what is up with Apple these days? "MacBook", "iPod Hi-Fi"...the company may be entering a new era of badly named (and in the case of the latter) badly designed products...

Dark Sailor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2006, 08:58 PM

Klipsch i-fi=hideous looking...

I don't really get the whole deal about the "docking" feature. iPods scratch up too easily, and one would have to take it out of its case everytime it goes into the dock. Too many steps to connect, and I don't need my glorified Walkman set up like an altar to a saint on my desk/endtable/whatever.

Of course this is all subjective.

Good inexpensive speaker option: Tivoli Audio Model Two with Sub (not exactly like the picture below, but will give the general idea). Would run about $330 total for the whole setup.

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2006, 10:31 PM

Yea. they put the iPod dock on the top, so now people can't sit anything on top of this huge thing now - so it takes up desk space.

Also, SIX D batteries? Are you joking? Since when does Apple find buying $15 of batteries for a few hours use satisfactory? Do Lithium Ion / Polymer batteries not provide enough voltage or something?
www.marcushesse.com

UNC-Charlotte Apple Campus Rep.

porieux
Baninated
Feb 28, 2006, 10:34 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 06:43 AM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by PookJP
I'd take this any day over the Chimney Brick.

Now THAT is an overpriced, flimsy piece of ****.

**** Bose.

Seriously.

atc ben
Feb 28, 2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
I got the Logitech MM50. Sounds like ass compared to my home setup, but it works for hotel rooms etc. Of course it is portable, unlike this Apple thing.
I think this Apple thing is supposed to be portable. It runs off super portable D batteries, or you can get a super portable wall wart. Plus it's got "reinforced handles"! I'll bet it'll even fit in a large suitcase.

Originally Posted by analogika
Now THAT is an overpriced, flimsy piece of ****.

**** Bose.

Seriously.
Agreed.
My

Hachimachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 12:14 AM

Bose's speaker systems are generally overpriced dreck, but their headphones are a godsend and I still appreciate the design of my Wave Radio, despite the price. I thought about purchasing Etymotics, but whatever they gain in sound they lose they comfort. The Bose are like my own, portable isolation tank; otherwise, Bose is pretty lame.

As far as these Apple guys are concerned, 53Hz on the low-end is nothing special, drivers ok, but the enclosure sounds nice. I'll reserve judgment until I hear 'em.

Hachimachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 12:15 AM

I agree, though, that some more interesting, integrated technologies would be nice.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2006, 12:20 AM

We love our Altec lansing IM7.

DCapple
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 01:29 AM

I think the design is great and the features are awesome!

More Apple info

meelk
Baninated
Mar 1, 2006, 02:06 AM

$100 leather cases, and horrible, brick like sound systems. Apple is reaching.

DCapple
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 03:14 AM

Hi-fi is a little bit forgivable but a leather case for 100$!!! yup definitely Apple is taking advantage!!!
My Bookmarks
- Danica

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Mar 1, 2006, 03:37 AM

what visual feedback do you have ?

i can hardly see my ipod's screen as is - will it show up on a tv etc ?

i don't see how you can find where you are if you're half way cross the room , using the remote

Recontech
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 03:47 AM

I think the Bose sounds amazing for being a dock. You guys can't really compare these "docks" to a $1400 / pair Polk Audio speaker system attached to a $2k receiver.

For these Apple speakers to be worth their money (and awful looks) they better blow the bose out of the water.
Blackhole Forums

Discuss Computers, Technology, Philosophy

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2006, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Recontech
I think the Bose sounds amazing for being a dock. You guys can't really compare these "docks" to a $1400 / pair Polk Audio speaker system attached to a $2k receiver.

For these Apple speakers to be worth their money (and awful looks) they better blow the bose out of the water.
The Altec Lansing iM7 is €80 cheaper than the Bose SoundDock, and it already does. And it's battery-powered, to boot, and includes an external input, as well as a video out, and it's built to be mobile, while I wouldn't throw the Bose in a bag for fear that the flimsy bitch will just break apart.

The Harman-Kardon Soundsticks blow the Bose SoundDock away, too, at half the price. They look better, too. Add a Dock and a remote, and you're far beyond the Bose, and still over €100 cheaper.

The Bose SoundDock sounds as flimsy as it's built. Some people mistake this for sounding "refined" because that's what the price and Bose's marketing implies.

In fact, they're just using some acoustic trickery to fake the balls they utterly, utterly lack.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by atc ben
Look at the way the iPod just sticks out of the top of it. I think everyone who had a hand in designing it should be fired immediately, if not sooner.
This design choice was intentional. Apple wants it's crowning glory to stand out and be noticed, not sink into the design as an afterthought.

At least that's my take on it.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

k2director
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 04:56 AM

I might be a bit more excited if the thing had a rechargeable battery. That's forward thinking. 6 D batteries hardly is...

Wi Fi ala Airport Extreme would be another great step forward.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2006, 06:42 AM

I don't get it… why would I need that thing if I can enjoy my iPod video with my harman/kardon sound system with just a $19 cable

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2006, 09:10 AM

I predict this product will be a flop.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

memory-minus
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Well they sold at least one!

More money than sense? We'll see...

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2006, 09:49 AM

i like it

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2006, 09:58 AM

I have a Bose Soundock and it is nice. The problem is that it just sounds like a single speaker unless you crank it. The biggest problem with the Bose, and with the Apple thing, is that you can't go through you playlist without getting up and changing the darn thing by hand. With all the room, I would have thought that Apple would have basically allowed the speaker become the software interface for the iPod.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by k2director
I might be a bit more excited if the thing had a rechargeable battery. That's forward thinking. 6 D batteries hardly is...
How hard is it for you to get 6 rechargeable batteries yourself?

bernt
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 10:32 AM

I'm wondering what the playtime with batteries on moderate volume is, anyone know?
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

dennett
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 11:05 AM

I tend to agree with this sentiment, plus I wouldn't mind seeing them piled up at my local Apple Store's discount table for $149

-Q-
Mar 1, 2006, 11:31 AM

I'm underwhelmed and certainly can't see my self paying $350 for this thing. But if it hits the bargain bin, perhaps...

ben.mcguire
Mar 1, 2006, 12:18 PM

Why are people defending this thing, if it didn't have apple on it im sure it wouldnt get a second look, its just a speaker with a dock in it?? if you have a half decent hifi with aux in just buy yourself a dock , its sooo much cheaper and nicer sounding.

ben.mcguire
Mar 1, 2006, 12:20 PM

Double Post

:XI:
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
I don't get it… why would I need that thing if I can enjoy my iPod video with my harman/kardon sound system with just a $19 cable

Not everyone has an existing sound system and just wants some nice speakers for their iPod?

I think it's a good idea, not the best execution, but a good idea all the same.

Forum Links
Forum Rules