Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB Accessories Product review: Crystal Film, Trackpad Film, Wristpad, iSkin, iLap,etc

PB Accessories Product review: Crystal Film, Trackpad Film, Wristpad, iSkin, iLap,etc
ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2005, 07:29 PM

I received my products from powersupportusa.com
and i'd like to write an overall review of all my accessories.

The Crystal Film
http://www.powersupportusa.com/produ...hp?category=pb
It was one of the more expensive items i ordered and i expected quality. Right off the bat... it looked amazing. It makes the PB look like it has a reflective coating on the screen and it sparkles. It kind of looks like a screen protector for cell phones except it does not stick on and it shines. It can be easily removed. Two $42US well spent

The Trackpad Film
I was truly disappointed at this..
I expected something more thick and something of a different material.
When i pulled it out of the wrapper.. i was shocked...
All it was; was a peice of ultra fine paper with a sticky side cut into the shape of a trackpad film. This reminds me of those Post-It notes ... but big enough to cover the whole trackpad. $11US wasted

Wrist Rug
I purchased this along with the others just cause shipping was costly. It came shipped exactly as i expected and did not really install it. The material is soft, kind of like suede ...doesn't really say what it is made of.. The packaging is in Japanese .. If anyone is interested in purchasing this... PM me.

iSkin keyboard cover
http://www.iskin.com/protouch_PB1.html
One of the most well spent items for the PB. It protects the keys as i expected. It does require some getting used to... but other than that.. For me, it meets my needs. If you have food or anything near the PB, i'm sure you don't want it to get onto the keys really easily.. The backlit keyboard can still be seen with the keyboard cover on. Two $20US well spent

iLap
http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html
Instead of buying the iCurve or other laptop holders... i decide to go with the iLap. I often do work on the computer on the couch or on the bed, so this does the job perfectly. I can also use this on the desk to keep it elevated. This saved me once when i accidently tipped over my drink and the PB was on it. If the PB was on the desk, i think i would be maybe out $3000 CDN on my PB. Overall.. it saves me from having a hot PB (50-60C) on my lap.. Two $60US well spent

Logitech MX900
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=7110
Having a PB, mind as well make the best use of everything in it. With the MX900, the bluetooth in the PB and the mouse work great. The cradle is NOT needed to make the mouse work. I use the cradle just for recharging purposes. At first, when they connect, it feels kind of slow... but once you adjust the settings on the PB, the speed is much better. Coming from a Logitech Duo Optical mouse, it feels a little slower.. but comparing Cordless vs. Corded... i would rather have the Cordless one because it is more convenient. I have not tried other cordless mouses, so i can't really compare. Battery life is about 2-3 days on 4-5 each day. The batteries are rechargable Ni-Mh batteries.

Please note that i am located in Canada and the prices above are what are listed on the website... additional shipping and custom charges not included.

Feel free to ask questions or post your reviews here too.
( Last edited by ericssonboi; Mar 31, 2005 at 08:00 PM. )
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

betasp
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2005, 07:44 PM

Can we get more detail on the crystal film? Viewing diffrences, colors, contrast, application?

ericssonboi  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2005, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by betasp:
Can we get more detail on the crystal film? Viewing diffrences, colors, contrast, application?
The viewing difference is quite great..
Not that the PB LCD wasn't good or anything.. but with the film on, it looks completely different in lighting conditions. Basicly it kind of adds a reflective film kind on to the screen. However.. because it is a reflective film, i see the light reflection coming from the room light. With more light, the reflection increases.. I have a floresent light on my table, and once i turn it on, I can basicly see a mirror image of myself.

If i get a chance on the weekend, i'll see if i can take picturs.
( Last edited by ericssonboi; Mar 31, 2005 at 08:06 PM. )

Altair
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2005, 02:42 AM

Does the crystal film make the powerbook's screen as good as an xbrite screen? Also do you think it would improve the 12" powerbooks screen?
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 03:56 AM

ericssonboi: Thanks for posting about the crystal film.

To the others wondering, I had a chance to work on an iMac and a PowerBook with this film applied on. The difference is amazing. It makes the screen so much clearer, crisper. I *almost* bought one when I visited Tokyo. BUT when I asked the sales person (who didn't speak English very well) I understood him to say that the film could not be removed.

Since the instructions were in Japanese and I didn't want to take the plunge. The other hesitation I had was that after a while the film would come off at the corners, similar to how the tint on your car would come off at the corners after years of use. And because of this, it made the Powerbook screen display look aweful.

I am interested in ericssonboi's impressions, pictures, and follow ups. What I want to know is 3-6 months down the road, how the crystal film would look.

ericssonboi  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2005, 04:44 AM

I'll try to post pictures on the weekend.. but i'm working non stop.. so i'll try my best.

As for the car of the product...
I think on the website.. it says it should be washed with just water and soap. When using it.. you have to be really careful not to scratch it. When i remove it from the PB, i specifically grabbed one corner (top right) and now you kind of see a few marks on the corner.

As for it sticking.. It sticks to the screen by static.. when i put it on, i've learned to just put it on lightly.. and it just goes on touching. If you apply pressure to it.. i'll leave marks like air bubbles... When i close the PB and put it in sleep mode, the screen protector sticks on leaving the bubbles... so basicly each time i open it back up.. I have to reapply it so it "looks good"

For comparison to Xbrite.. i don't have a Xbrite computer with me (i'm broke from buying the PB and all these toys) ... so I can't really compare.
You can tell from TheIceMan's comment that it does make a difference. For me.. its kind of like night and day.

As for it making a difference... i think it'll make a difference regardless of what its on... It comes in the different sizes... 12" being the cheapest... and 17" the most expensive (one size for both iMacs and PB) ...

In the end.. I think its a good investment ..

I just had to bite the bullet cause i wanted to see what there was out there for the PB and the Crystal Film is truly amaziing

ericssonboi  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2005, 06:03 AM

Alright� well I couldn�t resist posting pictures� cause I probably won�t have time posting them later.. and I don�t want you guys to wait..

This is how the Powerbook LCD should look like without anything on it..

Now with the desk light on still nothing on it..

The first picture with The Crystal Film on without desk light

Now with the desk light on..

Pictures of the Crystal Film standing up without desk light (oops, i inverted the first picture)

And now with the light on..

And one last one for those who are interested� look at the reflection..

Enjoy!

ericssonboi  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2005, 06:10 AM

The best thing i can think of is...
If you want to do a comparison with something with Xbrite... is to take a picture of it.. in different lighting conditions.. to see how much more bright and reflective it is...

The more i look at it... with no apps running.. the more it looks like a mirror.. maybe its cause i have a dark background..
( Last edited by ericssonboi; Apr 1, 2005 at 06:17 AM. )

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2005, 02:09 PM

ericssonboi,
Thanks for the review and thanks for the pics. If you do not mind, in another week or two a follow up review on the crystal film would be nice... Basic little stuff like its durability etc etc..

ericssonboi  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2005, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by jstein:
ericssonboi,
Thanks for the review and thanks for the pics. If you do not mind, in another week or two a follow up review on the crystal film would be nice... Basic little stuff like its durability etc etc..
For sure.. i'll keep you guys posted..

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2005, 03:48 AM

ericssonboi: Thanks.

robjs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2005, 05:00 AM

I got some stuff from PowerSupportUSA. I'm from the UK, so it was a bit of a mess getting it shipped over, basically, I didn't ever get a tracking ID. Phoning them gets you an answering machine, but after 3-4 days I did get a reply saying it had been dispatched. I mailed them back, and didn't get a reply to that mail, but, my stuff turned up.

I love the WristRag, it's protecting the wrist rest area of my Powerbook. How much would you charge to ship yours over to the UK for me? Also, what colour is it - I got the light grey one, it looks alright on the Powerbook.

I agree that the trackpad covers are awful. I'm glad you get two in the package, but I can't really see myself using the second, sure the trackpad is still usable with the cover on, but the colouring starts to go, and then, not only does it look completely stupid, but you just get annoyed. Also, there's no easy way of peeling the back off, which meant that I got a curled up corner on it - which again wasn't too pleasing!

To check out what kind of wear I'm talking about, take a look at these two images; http://physalis.catalyst2.com/~rob/trackpadcover.html

The iLap is an awesome product, not only does it keep the Powerbook cooler, but it also has the funky rest for your wrists, can't argue with it at all. It's not quite high enough sometimes, but that's just comparing it to the 20" ACD.

Glad you're (mostly) pleased with your stuff

Rob

ericssonboi  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2005, 09:41 PM

Update
After a month or so..
The results for the The Crystal Film are:

Pros:
Still looks great like Xbrite laptops

Cons:
After a few washes, it doesn't stick to the screen as much as it used to. It used to have static on one side and would basicly cling to the screen.
Because it doesn't stick as well, movement with it on is impossible.. it keeps falling off.
Still keeping it on while closing the PB is bad... just creates a hassle of putting it back on once you open it.

Questions21
May 24, 2006, 01:19 PM

I know this i sfrom long ago, hopefully some of the crystal film users are still around...

I bought the 17" for my imac.....

The thing just DOES NOT go on nicely, lots of bubbles, and even the tiniest fleck of dust really makes it look like a sham job....

Any advice for REALLY cleaning the film nicely, not leaving waterspots, etc....

and, any advice on how to RE-APPLY the film without any air bubbles, etc?

I feel like $40 has been thrown in the garbage.

Thanks in advance

theyoda3
May 24, 2006, 10:21 PM

I feel the same way. I oredered it for my 12" PB and it has been a huge pain. I eventually gave up. Some tips would be nice.

ericssonboi  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 05:46 AM

I just washed it with soap.
When i reapply... i just tried not to make contact with the LCD. Once it contacted the LCD, the static would take over and create bubbles.

Questions21
May 25, 2006, 03:47 PM

I'm gonna give the MacAlly 17" screen protector a try (the 17" is sold out almost everywhere I've looked, macyummies.com still had some though). These come in a pack of 3 "disposable" screens, and apparently use a very thin/mild/safe adhesive along the top edge. I've heard it gives the brightness and contrast effects of a "truebright" glossy screen as well, which I am looking for, but at this point I'm also looking for a reliable barrier against little droplets from coughs, sneezes, splats, and the occasional little fly that i try to wipe away from the screen that leaves a little death smudge. Those plastics can be wiped down easily, while the coating on the anti glare monitors gets all nasty when you try to clean it with anything that isnt the "perfect" solution.

I'll be sure to post a review when I get the MacAlly's, I also looked at NuShield, but after a little research, I heard that it actually CUTS contrast a bit, so that was kinda a deal breaker for me at this point, might give more consideration if the MacAllys don't work out.

Questions21
Jun 5, 2006, 01:07 PM

Well I got tne Macally's. I'm pretty happy with it, but I also think I got pretty lucky with the first application. Instead of fitting in the screen exactly (edge for edge), this fits perfectly on the "lit pixels" of the screen (and doesn't cover the tiny black edge that goes all around)....it takes a steady hand and a smooth finger to appy this slowly and accurately, but I'm very pleased. It was not very hard, and it looks great. The plastic is very thin, and if the static is not strong, it might look slightly wrinkled with the screen unlit, but when its lit, it's completely invisible. The "glue" band, if applied along the top, should fit *exactly* over the toolbar, making it even more undetectable. Overall, I'm happy with the product. Aside from the very slight bend in the plastic that shows only when screen is unlit, this has been a good purchase, much better than Power Supports Crystal Film, which I would not recomend to anyone.

Kdog01
Jun 18, 2006, 08:22 PM

I got the macally for my 15in 1.5GHz powerbook today, and I am very pleased. IMO it improves the screen quality and it only costs 14 bucks. Not going to look as good as the new macs, but I think it is a definite improvement.

Well I got tne Macally's. I'm pretty happy with it, but I also think I got pretty lucky with the first application. Instead of fitting in the screen exactly (edge for edge), this fits perfectly on the "lit pixels" of the screen (and doesn't cover the tiny black edge that goes all around)....it takes a steady hand and a smooth finger to appy this slowly and accurately, but I'm very pleased. It was not very hard, and it looks great. The plastic is very thin, and if the static is not strong, it might look slightly wrinkled with the screen unlit, but when its lit, it's completely invisible. The "glue" band, if applied along the top, should fit *exactly* over the toolbar, making it even more undetectable. Overall, I'm happy with the product. Aside from the very slight bend in the plastic that shows only when screen is unlit, this has been a good purchase, much better than Power Supports Crystal Film, which I would not recomend to anyone.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2006, 10:21 PM

Does the macally screen protectors stay on even if you close and open the screen? Can you just keep it on forever, and can you reapply it when you take it off or do you have to throw it away, hence the "disposable"
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2006, 01:29 AM

Anyone know if you can buy that glossy film for an iMac screen, im dying to have a glossy scrreen on my iMac.

euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 06:16 AM

I really don´t get the "glossy screen" hype. I was out in the shop to see the new MB in person (the shop was very shady) and after five minutes i was sure i´ll never get a notebook with glossy screen and if Apple will start to sell only glossy screen i´ll apply a matte film if i get a new one.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by euphras
I really don´t get the "glossy screen" hype. I was out in the shop to see the new MB in person (the shop was very shady) and after five minutes i was sure i´ll never get a notebook with glossy screen and if Apple will start to sell only glossy screen i´ll apply a matte film if i get a new one.
This is my experience as well. After reading this thread last year, I purchased one of these screens and put it on my PB. But I tossed it when the reflections made it unusable in many situations.

In optimal viewing environments, it's ok. But for a portable computer like a laptop, the no-reflection screen is MUCH better.

At least Apple now offers the choice on the MBPs. I think the lack of choice on the MB is the single most significant negative to that Apple laptop.

ael719
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2006, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by SEkker
This is my experience as well. After reading this thread last year, I purchased one of these screens and put it on my PB. But I tossed it when the reflections made it unusable in many situations.

In optimal viewing environments, it's ok. But for a portable computer like a laptop, the no-reflection screen is MUCH better.

At least Apple now offers the choice on the MBPs. I think the lack of choice on the MB is the single most significant negative to that Apple laptop.
The glossy screen on the MacBook actually looks great. Also, the screen cover you purchased was probably cheap and low quality. The only times I notice any reflection on my MacBook have been when it was turned off.

The pictures ericssonboi took of the screen give off a horrible reflection... nowhere near the quality of my MB.
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

nycdunz
Senior User
Jun 21, 2006, 02:33 AM

where do you guys get the macally screen protectors? i tried looking all over, even at my local Frys, none... this is the thing ive been waiting for since so many ppl at work love putting there fingers and running their nails all over my powerbook screen...

and $19 for 3 pieces sounds like an awesome deal...

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2006, 03:14 AM

Hmmm the logitech mouse doesn't need the base you say? David might have just found a new mouse!

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2006, 09:22 PM

Well my macally screen protectors just arrived today. It's really nice but there are lines on it that you can see in the dark. Other than that it's great.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Forum Links
Forum Rules