Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Man Solves Historic Math Problems, Shuns Prize

Man Solves Historic Math Problems, Shuns Prize
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2006, 03:31 PM

Link

MADRID, Spain (AP) -- A reclusive Russian won an academic prize Tuesday for work toward solving one of history's toughest math problems, but he refused to accept the award -- a stunning renunciation of accolades from his field's top minds.
I find this rather refreshing. A lot of his peers are wondering why he would refuse to accept such an award. But I see it as him saying that the reward isn't what's important. Solving the problem to better humanity is reward in itself. I understand the reason for offering such an award. Incentive such as that can be a great motivator. But I rather like the statement he's making.

I give this dude a

What do you all think about such an act? Selflessness in such grand things as this is something I believe in. I'd rather see motivations for things like this be to simply better humanity and challenge yourself.

(and feel free comment on his accomplishment as well. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2006, 03:39 PM

If he gets awarded the million bux, I think he should take it and give it to charity if he doesn't want it.

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
If he gets awarded the million bux, I think he should take it and give it to charity if he doesn't want it.
Agreed. Possibly to something that will help children with math or science or something like that. That would be pretty cool.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2006, 04:17 PM

Maybe develop a computer chip that'll allow mathematically challenged people like me understand it better. I LOVE science, but I'm completely retarded when it comes to the development of it.

The best I can do is an armchair.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2006, 05:03 PM

It's ultimately his choice, but lord knows many parts of Russia could use that $1,000,000.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2006, 05:33 PM

I wonder if I could accept it on his behalf...

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2006, 05:55 PM

Anyone know what is the Poincare Problem?

It has been mentioned in several articles I have read about this guy but not one article has explained what the problem was from a mathematical stand-point.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2006, 06:00 PM

Who says he solved it to better humanity?

Some people like solving problems just for the satisfaction of having solved them.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks

Some people like solving problems just for the satisfaction of having solved them.
MMmmmm ahhhhhhh

Nothing like the smell of fresh cynicism in the morning..

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

loki74
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
MMmmmm ahhhhhhh

Nothing like the smell of fresh cynicism in the morning..

V
how is that cynical? It's a valid possibility. Or is it somehow wrong to not automatically assume someone is Mother Teresa just becuase they didn't accept a fat reward?

Kudos for this guy on the work--and extra kudos for being big enough to turn away the award. Wether he just wanted to "help humanity" or just loved the problem and loved solving it, is something I will have to wait before I will judge. Either is a possibility.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks

No one says that, I was just projecting. He hasn't made any comment on the matter actually. I'm interested to hear his reasoning.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
how is that cynical? It's a valid possibility.
Oh yes it is a possibility. It is the *cynical* POV though. How about the humble option: that he didn't think solving that was such a big deal and that he didn't deserve the reward.

Mathematicians are an eccentric lot. They didn't go into math to become millionaires. For this guy, receiving a reward for solving this math problem is like for a cop receiving a reward for catching a mobster.

It is his job and the job of all his peers. There isn't anything special about him, he was just the first one to reach the inevitable solution.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Anyone know what is the Poincare Problem?

It has been mentioned in several articles I have read about this guy but not one article has explained what the problem was from a mathematical stand-point.
According to Wikipedia,

in mathematics, the Poincaré conjecture (IPA: [pwɛ̃kaˈʀe]) [1] is a conjecture about the characterization of the three-dimensional sphere amongst three-dimensional manifolds. Loosely speaking, the conjecture surmises that if a closed three-dimensional manifold is sufficiently like a sphere in that each loop in the manifold can be tightened to a point, then it is really just a three-dimensional sphere. The analogous result has been known to be true in higher dimensions for some time.
... though that doesn’t really tell me a thing about what the hell the Poincaré conjecture actually is, since I don’t understand a peep of it.

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 07:05 PM

a snippet from that cnn article:

"The riddle Perelman tackled is called the Poincare conjecture, which essentially says that in three dimensions, a doughnut shape cannot be transformed into a sphere without ripping it, although any shape without a hole can be stretched or shrunk into a sphere."

and something a bit more authoritative from here.

Poincaré Conjecture -- from Wolfram MathWorld
F = ma

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 10:42 PM

There is no such thing as an unselfish act. Name one.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
Masturbation. Absolutely nothing selfish about that.

Nope.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 23, 2006, 01:28 AM

The Fields Medal is a prize awarded to two, three, or four mathematicians not over forty years of age at each International Congress of the International Mathematical Union, a meeting that takes place once every four years.

Founded at the behest of Canadian mathematician John Charles Fields, the medal was first awarded in 1936 and has been regularly awarded since 1950. Its purpose is to give recognition and support to younger mathematical researchers who have already made major contributions.

The Fields Medal is widely considered to be among the top honors a mathematican can receive. It comes with a monetary award, which in 2006, was US$13,400 (C$15,000).
Maybe he just doesn't like Canadians?

I'm a little disappointed he didn't take the $15000 for charity though.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 23, 2006, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
Think Lily Potter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules