Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 3's tabs in Leopard [video]

Safari 3's tabs in Leopard [video]
Franz
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 02:09 AM

Here is a video showing some features of Safari 3's tabs. It is very nice!

- Rearrange tabs
- Break tabs off into new windows
- Move a tab from one window to another
- Merge separate windows into one tabbed window

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j2WY3inouhw

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 06:18 AM

nice, but blatant rip off from http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...ghlight=safari

have they no shame.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
nice, but blatant rip off from http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...ghlight=safari

have they no shame.
Don't give forum posts too much credit... tab dragging, even very similar to Safari 3's implementation, has existed in quite a few apps already, on multiple platforms.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 10:18 AM

I'm looking forward to the new features.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Franz
Here is a video showing some features of Safari 3's tabs. It is very nice!

- Rearrange tabs
- Break tabs off into new windows
- Move a tab from one window to another
- Merge separate windows into one tabbed window

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j2WY3inouhw

Thats awesome. I could use another browser but I don't want to and those features(if true) are welcome on my mac anytime.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

jriveractu
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 11:24 PM

noticed the other "leopard", "10.5", etc, videos that were removed at Apple's request because they were used without permission ? humm, new interface, anyone ?

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2006, 12:42 AM

Yeah, it seems odd they would be removed at Apple's request if they were fake, although one is still up (we're talking about the tabbed Finder, right?).

Franz  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2006, 12:48 AM

The tabbed Finder video is fake as well.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2006, 02:54 AM

Are you saying the Safari vid and the Finder one are both fake? Safari has those draggable tab features in Leopard, so I don't know why that would be a fake. Why would Apple have the other vids taken down if they weren't real? And how could they be faked?

jriveractu
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2006, 02:50 PM

After watching the WWDC Leopard preview I'm not that sure if the tabbed Finder video is fake after all .. when it came out, everyone said it was fake because the interface was the same as Tiger's, but so is the Leopard interface that Apple previewed .. so maybe, just maybe ...

Franz  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
Are you saying the Safari vid and the Finder one are both fake? Safari has those draggable tab features in Leopard, so I don't know why that would be a fake. Why would Apple have the other vids taken down if they weren't real? And how could they be faked?
No, the Safari video is real. I was talking about just the tabbed Finder video being fake.

I am not sure why they'd take down fake videos. I'm guessing that the legal team doesn't know much about the development of Leopard and that they just want no information out there about it. Either that or they don't want people confused or expecting fake features or whatever..

Originally Posted by jriveractu
After watching the WWDC Leopard preview I'm not that sure if the tabbed Finder video is fake after all .. when it came out, everyone said it was fake because the interface was the same as Tiger's, but so is the Leopard interface that Apple previewed .. so maybe, just maybe ...
That tabbed Finder video was put up before WWDC even - if someone was able to leak something that big I'd think they would show other big features too. Also I have the WWDC preview build and the Finder does not have tabs. It may be one of the top secret features, but I wouldn't count on it.

jriveractu
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2006, 04:31 PM

Must agree with you, Franz .. strange enough nothing else surfaced .. I'm dying to see what those features are (crossing my fingers for a new interface ). Another weird thing I noticed is the Apple icon in the menubar .. if I'm not mistaken, they alter the design a bit with each release, and Leopard's looked identical to Tiger's .. oh well ..

scotty321
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 05:37 PM

This is going to be AWESOME! That looks amazing!! Although you can SORT OF do "a poor man's version" of this now with Safari 2. You just have to create the blank tab or window first, and then you can drag your current website's favicon over to that blank tab or blank window... it will open up that website in that new tab/window. It doesn't MOVE it over there, though, so you still have to close out of the one you left behind. Check it out!

macmedics
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 09:48 PM

You can do some of these things now with Saft.
Check out pimpmysafari.com for other mods if you can't wait for version 3.

grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2006, 01:51 PM

Why would Apple ask for fakes to be taken down? Because if it becomes accepted fact that the rumored feature is in the pipeline but doesn't show up in the actual release, then apple "failed". Every keynote that has been labeled as disappointing has been so because Apple didn't exceed the wild speculation the proceeded it. How is apple supposed to live up to features that don't even exist?
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by macmedics
You can do some of these things now with Saft.
Check out pimpmysafari.com for other mods if you can't wait for version 3.
Never heard of that site before...thanks!

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2006, 10:24 PM

This will be sad if all 10.5 is are a bunch of features that should have already been in the last release.. Better tabs in Safari, tabbed Finder, integrated backup.. updates to iCal and Mail.. yawn... :/
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by sieb
This will be sad if all 10.5 is are a bunch of features that should have already been in the last release.. Better tabs in Safari, tabbed Finder, integrated backup.. updates to iCal and Mail.. yawn...
You can say that about anything that has ever been updated...

Fusion
Senior User
Sep 6, 2006, 12:28 PM

Safari's gonna reach version 7 before IE does.

Forum Links
Forum Rules