Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > the official WHY I HATE OSX thread

the official WHY I HATE OSX thread
imacfly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2007, 10:12 PM

Let me just start by saying I'm a card carrying member of the "I'm one of the last to leave OS9 old person's club." Our motto: "I'll switch to OSX when they pry 9 from my cold dead fingers."

Anyway,

Don't tell anyone. I have checked out OSX (what's it been around for, like, 8 years now?) and I now know, at least a few reasons I've remained hidden behind my extentions...
Why does the operating system ask if I'm sure I want to shut down? Is there any way to shut THAT down? Did Mac just wake up one day and think... "you know, I've been over-estimating my user's ability toward decision making... maybe... they haven't REALLY been sure since 1984." Couldn't ol' SJ and the boys pay even a little homage to the original operating system (that made him his first billion) by changing that annoying message (which contributes a little more each time to our inevitable carpall tunnel syndrome) by having it state: "It is now safe to turn off your computer." You know... I just realized... no wait... maybe something I've seen in OSX so far has begun to brainwash me (must resist, must resist). Is the suggested point maybe "why would you want to shut off your computer in first place?" I KNOW! Steve's got somethig going with the electric company!
Get a grip, now. Back to the point. I really think it's the fact that the PC world has always blindly felt they were having a more active roll in making thier computer 'compute' by answering all the mundane "are you sure" questions. After all, what fun is it if I tell the computer to shut down and it just does it?

Next. Why do I have no choice in oSX but to use a glorified version of EasyShare? Is that what it was called? I can't remember for sure. It was the little worthless, and annoying, program that came bundled with the performas. No wait... easy share is a digital camera... The reason I can't remember the app was because it was always the first thing I sought out and trashed. Last thing I needed to set up, back in those days, was something my kids would easily be able to circumvent and trash my blessed 6200.
Well now, thank you STEVE! I've got no choice but to set up user names and passwords and I CAN'T SHUT 'EM OFF! What's that? I can? What do yo mean I have to go into My Account in 10.2 and DESELECT "automatically log in as Jo Blo at startup" in order to turn that log-in screen off?

Seriously (wait... I AM serious... man, see what confusion this all brings) Is there anything about OSX that you don't like? Or didn't like in an earlier version?

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2007, 10:28 PM

i dont like that leopard hasn't come out yet...but thats about it.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2007, 10:28 PM

Awesome, this thread has major potential.

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2007, 10:31 PM

Holding down the option key when pressing shutdown doesn't ask you anymore .. but I guess that wasn't your point

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2007, 10:41 PM

Quoted for Truth.
What do yo mean I have to go into My Account in 10.2 and DESELECT "automatically log in as Jo Blo at startup" in order to turn that log-in screen off?
You're using 10.2 and complaining about OS X in general? Try 10.4 and get back to me.
Linkinus is king.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 10:51 PM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2007, 10:54 PM

I think we've found a kid more annoying than macgeek. Please, someone get this boy some meds, stat!

I cannot believe I'm breaking the sabbath to read this thread and write this reply. Egads.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by imacfly View Post
Why does the operating system ask if I'm sure I want to shut down?

Next. Why do I have no choice in oSX but to use a glorified version of EasyShare? Is that what it was called?

Well now, thank you STEVE! I've got no choice but to set up user names and passwords and I CAN'T SHUT 'EM OFF! What's that? I can? What do yo mean I have to go into My Account in 10.2 and DESELECT "automatically log in as Jo Blo at startup" in order to turn that log-in screen off?
I'm having trouble believing that I'm even bothering to do this, but... just to answer some of your questioins...

1. the system asks because if it proceeds to just shut down, and it is doing so because you meant it to sleep and accidentally wiggled the mouse at the last second, you're going to waste a hell of a lot of time restarting. Now, if you want to skip the message, just hold down option while selecting the menu, and you'll avoid being prompted. (option also removes prompts for operations such as emptying the trash, restarting, and logging out)
2. just to check, are you talking about "iPhoto"? 'cause I never use it myself. ImageCapture gets images off the camera just as well, and dumps 'em to a folder for you to peruse at your leisure in the finder, rather than having to launch iPhoto every time you want to browse. I'm sure there are those who like iPhoto, but I'm not really one. Aperture on the other hand... now THAT's a photo app.
3. first, as far as usernames and passwords, that is what we generally refer to as reasonable security on your computer. You're more than welcome to have ONE user, and just set a password for it, but you really should have something with a password. and if you ENABLE autologin, then you should never see the login box anyway (except on occasion when the computer is booted up irregularly). I'm not sure what gave you the idea that DISABLING autologin would make the login window go away, but I can virtually promise you it does not work that way.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I think we've found a kid more annoying than macgeek. Please, someone get this boy some meds, stat!
I dunno. Bob Marley really gives macgeek a run for his money.
Linkinus is king.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2007, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Indeed! Must be the reason why it hasn't been locked yet.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2007, 04:58 AM

Were you even born 8 years ago?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

imacfly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Quoted for Truth.You're using 10.2 and complaining about OS X in general? Try 10.4 and get back to me.
Hey, at the pace I'm going, you might have to wait about 5 years. Sounds like a good Mac Doctor quote though... "Take two upgrades and call me in '012"
( Last edited by imacfly; Mar 24, 2007 at 12:31 PM. )

OreoCookie
Mar 24, 2007, 12:48 PM

If you just want to complain (incoherently, I might add), I suggest you visit thalo.net.

(1) Are you sure questions are not new to OS X (also OS 9 asked whether you were sure to shut down your computer or quit an app without saving a document -- as does Windows, by the way).

(2) All current OS have different users and passwords for the same reason you have to know the pin to withdraw money from your ATM.

(3) Before you complain about a rather old version of OS X, upgrade and then see if any of your grievances have been addressed.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2007, 01:03 PM

You've come to a sad realization.
[Cancel] [Allow]
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 01:39 PM

Hey, at the pace I'm going, you might have to wait about 5 years. Sounds like a good Mac Doctor quote though... "Take two upgrades and call me in '012"
Another vote to be relevant, that is if you have a beef against OSX, then use the current version as the baseline. There's been a number of changes additions (and subtractions) through out the years as Apple has sought to improve OSX.

That doesn't mean everyone is happy with it.
Michael

imacfly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post

I cannot believe I'm breaking the sabbath to read this thread and write this reply. Egads.
On my honor. I will become the king of annoyance.

Also, you know, back in the OT times you would have been stoned for this. Aren't you glad we are living in the age of grace now that the law has been fulfilled.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2007, 01:43 PM

I'm sorry these are dumb complaints.

You're asked if you're sure you wanna restart... that kind of makes sense instead of accidently hitting the power button and loosing my Photoshop file I've been working on.

As for camera options, you should be able to mount many cameras right in the finder, otherwise use image capture or iPhoto. Either way you have options. Or you can use another app. You want something pro level pick up aperture. That said, if you're hardly an active member of the mac community anymore, since I imagine you give nearly nothing back to Apple or the rest of us, so why should Apple make an OS that the rest of us actually buy because it works properly, work worse to satisfy someone like you who couldn't even be bothered to keep up to date.

indigoimac
Senior User
Mar 24, 2007, 01:57 PM

I'll address the shut down thing real quick, guess what, you don't really have to click anything after clicking shutdown, yes the window will come up, but after 2 minutes it will shut off, restart, logout w/e, amazing, I know.

And quite frankly I like the warning, I remember countless times when I went to "Special" to Shout Down and hit restart or wanted to Sleep but told it to shut down
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 02:17 PM

If you are still using 10.2 then I might suggest taking a peak at 10.4. There have been some pretty nice improvements.

imacfly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by arcticmac View Post
I'm having trouble believing that I'm even bothering to do this, but... just to answer some of your questioins...
Whoa... I've got a lot to answer here but first let me thank you for trying to answer me.

1. the system asks because if it proceeds to just shut down, and it is doing so because you meant it to sleep and accidentally wiggled the mouse at the last second, you're going to waste a hell of a lot of time restarting.
I disagree. On the contrary, I believe the cumulative time spent reaching for the return or enter key (or option key for that matter) far exceeds, over the course of the millenia you'll be using your computer, (or in the case of the white ibook - the couple months before it blows a board) the very few times you'll ever choose shut down by accident. Plus, without all those extensions boot time is very short. What's the big deal? My gripe is that there is no way to permanently turn that 'feature' off.

Now, if you want to skip the message, just hold down option while selecting the menu, and you'll avoid being prompted. (option also removes prompts for operations such as emptying the trash, restarting, and logging out)
2. just to check, are you talking about "iPhoto"?
I woke up this morning with the name of the old App floating around in my empty noggin'. It was AtEase

3. first, as far as usernames and passwords, that is what we generally refer to as reasonable security on your computer.
I don't need reasonable security on my computer. After all, if someone steals it I don't think they're going to figure, "hmmm, dang! I don't know the password... I might as well give it back."

You're more than welcome to have ONE user, and just set a password for it, but you really should have something with a password.
says who

and if you ENABLE autologin, then you should never see the login box anyway (except on occasion when the computer is booted up irregularly). I'm not sure what gave you the idea that DISABLING autologin would make the login window go away, but I can virtually promise you it does not work that way.
Well, I guess you've never dealt with this because you love the idea of loggin in maybe?
Trust me... here' the proceedure (at least with OSX 10.2 . At least after changing a pre-existing password by booting from an install CD you log in at startup. You can boot up a million times and have to log in each time. In fact, in between any one of those million boot-ups you can go into the Accounts Control Panel (if that's what you call it) in the System Preferences and you'll see that the checkbox is checked next to "automatically log in as JoBlo" but you AREN'T automatically loggin in! You actually have to go into "Accounts" select the name you wish to edit, DESELECT the check box that states "Automatically log in as XXXXXX" restart the computer (login again), go into Accounts and this time the button called Edit User (I think it is) is available (not grayed out). You click that, make some selection (I can't remeber what exactly), close out of that window (or go back... can't remember exactly... again) and THEN check the "automatically log in as xxx xxx" for it to work! BS!
There's even something similar in OSX 10.3. Here you have to go into Accounts where you will see a checkbox next to "automatically login yadda yadda" that's already checked , HOWEVER, you AREN'T automatically loggin in... You have to go into the CP (or 'system preference') called Security and there you'll find a check box, checked by default, called "disable automatic login" which you have to deselect in order to not be bothered by the stinkin' log-in screen. Why did they hide it there?
I don't know, it just gives me the impression that the 'hight and mighties' at apple don't think any of us actaully owned a mac before OSX. Sheesh.. talk about your 1984! 1+1 IS 3, right?

imacfly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Indeed! Must be the reason why it hasn't been locked yet.
Why should this thread be locked? C'mon man, I'm not some freakin' PC flamer. Or should that be... I'm not some Mac flamer? Uh, oh... I'm starting to sound like Floyd the barber.

imacfly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Were you even born 8 years ago?
Shooot man, don't tell me you don't remember. I'm that guy that kept pushin you out of my bassinet.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2007, 05:55 PM

1.) Use sleep. Practically the same power consumption as standby, instant, and no login on wakeup.
2.) You don't understand security. The password is not there for when your computer is stolen. Use automatic login if you don't want to be bothered with logging in.
3.) "Disable automatic login" is not enabled by default and automatic login works. If you turn on "Disable automatic login" then the checkbox in the Accounts preferences is turned off and vice versa. There is no possibility for user confusion in the way you describe.

If those are the worst things in OS X you can find then it must be pretty darn good. Cause I could come up with a dozen or so things that sucked in OS 9 in no time.

imacfly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
If you just want to complain (incoherently, I might add), I suggest you visit thalo.net.
Just part of the act... it's humor, man, humor.

(1) Are you sure questions are not new to OS X (also OS 9 asked whether you were sure to shut down your computer
OS9 never questioned our ability to decide (or assumed parkinsons disease)

or quit an app without saving a document
That's totally different

-- as does Windows, by the way).
Which is ANOTHER reason I hate OSX, by-the-way! Thank you.

(2) All current OS have different users and passwords for the same reason you have to know the pin to withdraw money from your ATM.
What? I can get money out of my laptop? Please, how do I get to that screen? No, I know what you mean, I just don't need it! THAT'S THE POINT! Sure, put the options in there to do so but please don't assume I'm dumb enough to not know how to turn on the preference or make it a mystery as to how to shut it off.

(3) Before you complain about a rather old version of OS X, upgrade and then see if any of your grievances have been addressed.
Hey buddy, (I know you are a Moderator so I say 'buddy' with the utmost respect) don't take it so seriously, ok? I mean, is Mr. Jobs your Daddy or something? I'm just making a little fun and venting some frustration at the same time. I'm also asking y'all to cough up some things that have bugged you, in the past or present, with the OS. Can't you just think of one thing? Can't we all... just...get along?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2007, 06:11 PM

Troll.

imacfly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by indigoimac View Post
I'll address the shut down thing real quick. You don't really have to click anything after clicking shutdown, yes the window will come up, but after 2 minutes it will shut off, restart, logout. Amazing, I know.
I did notice that was something implemented in 10.3 but I don't believe was part of 10.2. However, once again, the point is WHY DO WE EVEN NEED IT?

And quite frankly I like the warning, I remember countless times when I went to "Special" to Shout Down and hit restart or wanted to Sleep but told it to shut down
You bring up a good point here. I too have accidentally chosen restart rather than shut down a few times which is a drag. However, in 10 years I've maybe done that all of 3 times at most. So separate Shut down and restart in the menu options and while at it put them higher up on the list of Apple menu options. After all, how often do I need to select "About This Mac?"

By the way, is there any way to alter the Apple Menu Items in OSX?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2007, 06:30 PM

By the way, is there any way to alter the Apple Menu Items in OSX?

one thing...3rd-party apps.
i use fruitmenu (a haxie, but am happy here, plus i use shapeshifter).
i have a custom apple menu, with shutdown & restart WITH NO warning.
also, customizable contextual menus...i have access to all my main folders there, rarely need to open a window and search.

main point; os x is not perfect, but also, everyone's needs are different.
where i need to, i fill in the blanks with shareware or freeware apps.

add stability, a freeze in an app not taking down the whole system, multitasking, and insanely-easier troubleshooting...os x kills o9...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

imacfly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Troll.
17" 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBookPro huh? Seems like quite a lot of processing power to write such big words.

imacfly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post

add stability, a freeze in an app not taking down the whole system, multitasking, and insanely-easier troubleshooting...os x kills o9...
This isn't a post meant to compare OSX with 9. Just wondering if any of you OSXer's could possibly lighten up a little and admit to something you actually don't like. Guess not.

Anyway, I do appreciate your suggestions. I'll check for those 3rd party apps on versiontracker.com

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2007, 07:59 PM

This isn't a post meant to compare OSX with 9. Just wondering if any of you OSXer's could possibly lighten up a little and admit to something you actually don't like. Guess not.

Anyway, I do appreciate your suggestions. I'll check for those 3rd party apps on versiontracker.com
and you could lighten up just a bit...
am not attacking you, just making an observation on x vs 9.
there are things i'd like to see in os x, but overall, it is the best mac os ever...
and, again, there are apps out there to do the things i miss..

make a list of what you need/miss...and we can guide you to options, apps, etc.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

imacfly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
and you could lighten up just a bit...
That's what my scales tell me each time I step on
there are things i'd like to see in os x
So let's hear it man! What are those things? Speak freely, we're all friends.

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 09:27 PM

On my honor. I will become the king of annoyance.

Also, you know, back in the OT times you would have been stoned for this. Aren't you glad we are living in the age of grace now that the law has been fulfilled.
I have just one word for you, Idiot! You come to a "Mac" forum and start a thread of why I hate Mac OSX? If you want to start crap like that I suggest that you go to the Windows Vista Forums where you will have no problem getting people to tell you how much they hate Macs.

The majority here happens to like Mac OSX which is why we use it. Your entire posting is idiotic and pointless.

If you want to complain about certain features that makes sense but to start an I hate OSX thread is idiotic.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2007, 11:03 PM

one thing you need to consider: everyone has their own idea about what the os needs/doesn't need. this is why there is a wealth of apps, shareware, freeware out there. visit versiontracker, investigate a bit.

read thru these forums, there is a lot of great tips, tricks, and...workarounds.
rather than expecting the os to be what YOU want it to be, learn it, get good at it, and find helpers.

my last post on this thread (and last visit). have to get back to having a life..!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2007, 11:04 PM

one thing you need to consider: everyone has their own idea about what the os needs/doesn't need. this is why there is a wealth of apps, shareware, freeware out there. visit versiontracker, investigate a bit.

read thru these forums, there is a lot of great tips, tricks, and...workarounds.
rather than expecting the os to be what YOU want it to be, learn it, get good at it, and find helper apps.

my last post on this thread (and last visit). have to get back to having a life..!

imacfly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 11:17 PM

shall I call, for you, a WAAAAAmbulance?

Wow, sour grapes. Guess if anyone dares question Mr. Jobs he wont have any friends here. Let me just ask you this before leaving, myself. If OSX were so perfect, I guess you won't be upgrading when the next one comes out? Or is it the ring in your nose is planted too deep?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2007, 11:54 PM

Wow, sour grapes. Guess if anyone dares question Mr. Jobs he wont have any friends here. Let me just ask you this before leaving, myself. If OSX were so perfect, I guess you won't be upgrading when the next one comes out? Or is it the ring in your nose is planted too deep?
are you actually reading people's posts, or just ranting??
no one is saying os x is perfect...(i'm certainly not).
meanwhile, if you don't abuse it, these forums are full of people who can answer questions, lead you to useful shareware, gives tips, tricks.

or are you just going to keep pushing until a moderator shuts you down???

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2007, 11:55 PM

I hate the OS X Finder. It is really lame and has been neglected since OS X was released. Sure it is better than 10.0 was released, but it is so bad now I don't really use the Finder.

It's just there in the background.

Other than that.. I'd like to be able to customize the Apple menu and remove the Dock completely.

Can't think of anything else annoying with OS X at the moment. It is the best OS in the world, but it is still pretty bad in many ways.

I have a Mactel now so OS 9 and Classic have disappeared completely out of my life.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2007, 12:02 AM

OS9 never questioned our ability to decide (or assumed parkinsons disease)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2007, 01:00 AM

Please. Both of your complaints were due to your being ignorant of features, as was pointed out to you in the first few posts. Maybe you could say "thanks for the help" instead of slagging off an entire forum, and next time, take a look through the archives (search feature) or read up a bit on your issue, and see if it's even a valid issue before going postal.

I'm typing this on a powerbook that has an uptime of 150 days. I never got more than three or four days out of OS 9, and more frequently had to restart twice or three times a day, often after some bomb had eaten a fair amount of my work. I'd gladly trade a tap of the return key for all the crashing & restarting that plagued OS 9. Really. Think about it.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2007, 01:05 AM

The fellow who started this thread really was just trying to annoy a bunch of people (it seems to have worked).

But getting back to his original point, which was sticking with OS 9 because of the flaws in OS X.

I've tried to find something of substance in his post, but am having trouble. What I can see is he is bothered by the confirmation box when he shuts down his computer. That's a pretty minuscule complaint. Still looking for substance here. Then he complains about something called "Easyshare"? Have no idea what he's talking about but it can't be too serious if he can't articulate it beyond that. And then there's the issue of logging in. That's also a complaint with no substance -- he can always just have one user/administrator on his Mac under OS X and have it always log in automatically (I also cannot follow his convoluted story about deselecting boxes, my daughter figured out how to do this when she was 9 yrs old in a few seconds) -- after all, that's kind of what OS 9 was like, wasn't it, auto-login of administrators?

Well, I guess that's about it.

As for OS 9, I do still have two Macs that can boot into OS 9. One is a 7100 PowerMac with a G3 266 MHz processor card, and it can, in fact, only boot into OS 9. The other is an older iMac G3 that dual boots, OS 9 or OS X. No one in the family has asked about or cares about OS 9 anymore. Every so often I boot into OS 9 with one of these computers for old times sake, but one quickly becomes aware of why no one cares about OS 9 anymore. The lack of protected memory is a major item, in and of itself, enough of a reason to prefer OS X. For years, WIndows even had this advantage over Mac OS 9. Another anecdotal piece of information: the iMac G3, which is a 2001 computer, has been running 24/7 since we got it brand new and it has had exactly 0 (zero) kernel panics. Zero. My daughter's iMac G5, acquired new in 2005, also running 24/7, with typical teenager abuse (like running Firefox, Camino, Safari, MS-Word, MS-Powerpoint, iTunes, Photoshop, Sims 2, email [two kinds] games -- all simultaneously, never shutting off apps, going to god knows what web sites ...) has had zero kernel panics (it ONCE became unresponsive and was rebooted with the power button, ONCE). I had a G4 Powerbook for 3 yrs and recently replaced it with an Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro and neither have ever had a kernel panic. This type of stability was unheard of in OS 9. OS 9 was a good OS but it suffered from freezes and mandatory reboots frequently (maybe like every week at least) because of its sensitivity to how memory was used, among other things.

Other problems with OS 9 include no new software being created, older software no longer maintained, and a growing lack of drivers for modern peripherals. I actually don't begrudge someone who likes OS 9, that's fair enough. But so far I've heard nothing much of substance wrong with OS X. People with user interface preferences will always want one thing or another, and it's not always what they get in OS X. But I'm still looking for *substance* here and haven't seen it yet.

But the original poster did get some experienced Mac folks steamed up, which probably was his goal in the first place! He's probably bored and this is his entertainment.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2007, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
I hate the OS X Finder. It is really lame and has been neglected since OS X was released. Sure it is better than 10.0 was released, but it is so bad now I don't really use the Finder.

It's just there in the background.

Other than that.. I'd like to be able to customize the Apple menu and remove the Dock completely.

Can't think of anything else annoying with OS X at the moment. It is the best OS in the world, but it is still pretty bad in many ways.

I have a Mactel now so OS 9 and Classic have disappeared completely out of my life.

V
See?, it was not that hard to reply without yelling at a guy that doesn't like OS X as much as OS 9 and below… just to second voodoo's worries…

Finder sucks - royalty, check.

Being able to customize Apple menu - I would like to be able to tell the system that NEVER show up some apps on recent items… installers comes to mind. Check.

Dock - it has been seven freaking years since we got it and there is still a lot of room to improvement… because it didn't get any better since then. Check.

Last but not least…
Eye candy for the sake of eye candy - please avoid lens flare mock-ups !!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 04:51 AM

Off-topic: Yes, I do realize that if there were witnesses to it I could have been stoned. I believe in the grace of the L-rd, but not because of Christian theology to which I do not subscribe. I "fulfill" the eternal law to the best of my ability every day I live it, which is all any man can do.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2007, 10:27 AM

17" 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBookPro huh? Seems like quite a lot of processing power to write such big words.
Why should I write a book about why you are a troll? Everyone in here can see that. People have offered suggestions and pointed out where you are wrong and yet all you do is post smart-ass remarks. THAT is trolling. You are using a version of OS X that is 2-3 years old and come in here bitching and complaining about two very minor annoyances you have with OS X and how everyone here is an apologist for Jobs and Apple. Sorry, but you are a troll, plain and simple.

That long enough for ya?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Owned.

kick52
Baninated
Mar 25, 2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Owned.
i dont think so.

that is when you hit the power button on the keyboard or whatever, not when you select shut down/etc. from 'special'

(afaik)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2007, 12:50 PM

I don't need reasonable security on my computer. After all, if someone steals it I don't think they're going to figure, "hmmm, dang! I don't know the password... I might as well give it back."
Welcome to Mac OS X.

Some things have changed since you last knew what you were talking about.

The biggest change: You can buy an internet for Apple computers now!

Hard to believe, I know, but it's TRUE!!!!1!!1

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 05:03 PM

Long live the intarwebs!
Linkinus is king.

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 06:50 PM

Setting up sharepoints was easier in OS9. I know there is the 'Sharepoints' program but it's odd to me that this is not possible out-of-the-box.

Darwiniandude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2007, 06:59 PM

Just think about this:

Future of OS9 -> Death of Mac OS, Death of Apple Computer.

OSX is largely responsible for people buying Macs again. Also made development very easy, attracting a lot of great 3rd party development to the platform.

The Classic Mac OS was great, but it's pased on now. RIP.

---

Be default on a clean install of OSX it auto logs in as one user anyway. Or atleast it does in 10.4.

---

Who uses the Apple menu to shutdown?? Too slow! I always hit Control (lower left key) Eject (upper right key) then hit enter on numpad for shutdown, R for restart, S for sleep, etc. Just like hit Control + Power on ADB keyboards, same action exactly. I would assume most power users do the same, why bother mousing up to a menu when there is a perfectly functional keyboard shortcut you can't accidentally activate. Menus are there for listing keyboard shortcuts. Ok maybe that isn't the mac way of doing things as per 1984, but it's a big timesaver.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2007, 07:07 PM

I love OS X, but the problem is that it's so pure, but has too many stupid problems, but the problems are not with the architecture, but with the folks in Cupertino and in Redmond

1) No DirectX support
2) MacIntel's don't support Classic (but there are good reasons for that, but Apple should have made Classic Intel compatible.
3) Apple releases a new version of OS X every other year. (One thing about Microsoft was that they got almost six years out of XP.)
4) Although this isn't related, Macs don't have enough USB ports, a little ironic because Apple was the company that evangelized USB.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Forum Links
Forum Rules