Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac with External display: questions

iMac with External display: questions
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2009, 10:04 AM

I have an Early 2006 Intel iMac Core Duo that is now over 3 years old.
I am considering upgrading to a nice new 24" iMac for the faster speed and 64-bit capability, but all I really want is the larger display as I am happy with the machine's performance.

My question is about adding a second monitor and how it will affect performance. I can pick up a 24" display for under $200 and add it to my system. I would likely use the display spanned (not mirrored) since I don't think I can turn off the iMac's internal display and force all the video memory to use only the second. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

So my basic question is how will this affect performance? Obviously, what little gaming I do (Half-Life via windows) would best be done with the second display disconnected, but would there be slow-downs in window refreshing or other performance hits by running two displays?

It is often pointed out that the money for upgrading is usually better spent by selling the old system and applying that to a new one.

How does everyone feel regarding second displays on iMacs?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ghporter
Administrator
May 10, 2009, 10:42 AM

If the video system in the 2006 models is anything at all like the one in the first gen aluminum iMacs, you will notice NO performance change-except that you'll have another monitor. I have a 17" Dell E171FP tied to my iMac, and except for the nice desktop slideshow (and of course application windows) on the other display, I can detect no difference in performance.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2009, 05:12 AM

I agree with ghporter. I had a 22" Acer attached to my 2007 20" iMac - no issues. I presume that even the 9400 would be good enough to power two screens.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2009, 07:16 AM

Remember that my iMac is running the ATI X1600. I have 128MB of video memory (not the optional 256 that was available BTO at the time). Apple used this same chip on the MBPs and even the first version of the C2D iMacs. Then came the ATI HD 2400 XT in the first Aluminum iMacs, but I vaguely remember complaints about it not being much faster than the X1600s.

I guess the question ultimately is upgrade or replace? With Snow Leopard on the horizon, I might have to replace the CPU to enjoy it the most and that's another $200 (at least) just to stay at 2GHz.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2009, 07:43 AM

You can have the iMac only display on the external monitor if you're afraid of the perf impact.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2009, 07:51 AM

I'd say do both. If you are happy with that 24" for $200, get it now. Once you decide the iMac needs to be replaced get a new 24" iMac and use both displays. With a 4850 and 512 MB VRAM you will have no problem driving 1920x1200 twice.

Unless of course you feel your iMac is already too old *now*. If you want to replace the iMac now you might as well save the $200 and forget about the monitor. Also, forget about the CPU upgrade. In terms of SL and performance, a new 3.06 GHz iMac with a 4850 should be just right. Considering it uses mobile parts it's a very good performer. It's not exactly cheap, but you get a lot of bang and the Al/glass design is indeed awesome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules