Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to delete/remove a "connection failed" message on bootup in SL?

How to delete/remove a "connection failed" message on bootup in SL?
Hydrology
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2009, 08:22 AM

Previously I used the IP address of my Vista-based HTPC, to connect it to my MacBookPro "Connect to Server" option in Finder. However after a reboot/re-install of my network, it appears my HTPC IP address has changed (naturally), and I have reconnected via "Connect to Server" with the new IP address. However, even though I have removed the old IP address, every time I reboot the MBP, after bout a min or two of logging in, it comes up with the following window/message:-

The server "192.168.1.xxx" may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again".

How do I remove this from popping up EVERY time? I have deleted the old adress from the Connect to Server option, but it still comes up every time.
Thanking you guys in advance.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2009, 08:44 AM

System Preferences > Network > Ethernet

Where you using the old IP as a router address? How do you connect the Mac to the internet?

Hydrology  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
System Preferences > Network > Ethernet

Where you using the old IP as a router address? How do you connect the Mac to the internet?
Both my MBP and my Vista HTPC are connected wirelessly to the network. I just find it odd that it still tries to connect despite me taking out the IP address in the "Connect to Server" menu option.!
Ideas?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2009, 03:17 AM

Is the PC partition set to auto-mount at startup? Check the login items.

Hydrology  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Is the PC partition set to auto-mount at startup? Check the login items.
Do you mean a PC-only partition on the MBP itself? If so I dont have such - I only have Snow Leopard installed and nothing else. As for login, there is only one account (Me).
I have created a static IP address via the router for the PC with the address in the warning notice, so thats some solution, but Id love to know why this comes up. I would have to assume that it would involve a terminal command to remove?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2009, 11:16 AM

No, I meant did you set up the MBP to auto-mount the HTPC's disk as a network share? If so, that would explain why the MBP is trying to reach the HTPC on login. The list of login items (that's where the HTPC network share would be) is in Sys Prefs > Accounts > Login Items.

How the router is set up and what IP it gives to your HTPC should have absolutely nothing to do with your MBP. Unless you set up something on your MBP there is no reason the MBP would be trying to communicate with your HTPC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules