Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Data DVD burned in Finder is Mac only?

Data DVD burned in Finder is Mac only?
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 23, 2010, 12:16 AM

I have a client that is a photographer who provides her clients with pictures on DVD. She has started getting complaints from her clients on windows that there is nothing on the DVD. She brought me one of the DVD's, and sure enough it opens fine on a mac, but when loaded into Sun Virtualbox the DVD mounts, but no files are shown.

Google has failed me.. Someone here must know what's going on.

(These are photos exported from iPhoto and burned as folders in the finder onto the DVD.)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 02:52 AM

Supposedly the disc should be readable by other OSs:

Mac OS X 10.4 Help: Burning a CD or DVD

If she wants to ensure cross platform compatibility, Toast has a specific file burning mode called "Mac & PC." Also, she may get better results if she burns the photos using iPhoto directly instead of going through the extra steps in the Finder.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 23, 2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Supposedly the disc should be readable by other OSs
I agree. I don't know WTH is wrong..

Also, she may get better results if she burns the photos using iPhoto directly instead of going through the extra steps in the Finder.
The only thing you can burn "directly" in iPhoto any more is an iPhoto Library, which would also do the windows customers no good.. The dialogue when you choose 'burn':
If you want to create a disc to be viewed on a Windows computer or by a photo processing company, you must use the Burn Disc command in the Finder. For details, visit iPhoto Help.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2010, 07:15 AM

The disk is empty, but still mounts, so I don't think it's the mac.

are you sure its not an issue with the way windows handles filenames, are they in subfolders which can't be recognised?

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 23, 2010, 06:14 PM

The free app "Burn" solved the problem. It lets you choose a "Mac + PC" data dvd.
Burn - Home

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 08:47 PM

Good to know.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules