Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook and 512MB RAM

Powerbook and 512MB RAM
Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Feb 19, 2001, 03:20 PM

OK, advice needed here.

I just bought a 512MB PC100 RAM DIMM from MemorytoGo.com ($199 DealNN) for my Firewire G3 PB and it gives me ZERO additional memory when I put it in the top slot.

I originally had a 128MB DIMM in the top slot so I know it works. I put the old dimm back in and was back to 256MB so I know it still works.

Has anyone actually tried one of these in their Firewire PB? I'm shooting for 1GB of RAM eventually, but this module did not work. I don't know anyone else who has a PB to try it out in and I don't want to send it back (I have 3 days).

It's a 2 inch tall DIMM and it fits fine but it just doesn't work! Am I missing something? I still have the original 128MB installed in the bottom slot. Do I need to put it in there? I've read that the maximum RAM in the Pismos was 512MB, but then it went up to 1GB later. I have the 12GB PB G3 500, but have all the updates (firmware, etc.) installed.

Help me figure this one out. It may be just bad, but I don't want to send it all the way back to California just to find out!

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Szwarc (edited 02-19-2001).]
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

splyn
Feb 19, 2001, 07:53 PM

there is a note in the apple til, that the TiBook will only take 1.5" modules. i thought that it was for size, but maybe there is something else.

id return it for a refund or the exchange for the proper part.

------------------
im feeling a lot more like i do now than i did when i first got here
im feeling a lot more like i do now than i did when i first got here

MacAgent
Senior User
Feb 19, 2001, 08:14 PM

...for my Firewire G3 PB...

------------------
d

[This message has been edited by MacAgent (edited 02-19-2001).]

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Feb 19, 2001, 08:14 PM

Sorry, it's not a Ti, but a Firewire G3 PB 500.

It takes 2" DIMMs in both slots but this RAM just plain doesn't work.

I called them and I am sending it back for exchange. If the next one doesn't work I'll just drop it for now and take a credit or another 512MB DIMM for the wife's G4.

------------------
Dan
Michigan Lincoln & Continental Owners Club

[This message has been edited by Dan Szwarc (edited 02-20-2001).]
Dan
(not a guarantee)

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2001, 02:11 AM

Hi Dan. What you want to do is upgrade the lower slot with a 256 mb chip. The lower slot will only take the smaller chip and you don't want to spend 1300 bucks for the Crucial one that's made to fit it. Right now I have the 256 chip on the bottom and a 128 on top for a total of 384. This allows for easy expansion to 512 and 768 as your budget allows. I've found 384 to be more than exceptable but I'm still going to get the 512 mb full size chip just because I can!

PeteWK

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Feb 20, 2001, 08:33 AM

I've tried it in both slots and nothing. Now I know what my PB G3 does when I have to RAM in it. (Beep - nothing).

Has anyone successfully upgraded a Firewire G3 to 1GB of RAM?
Dan
(not a guarantee)

NewPismoOwner
Feb 20, 2001, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by PeteWK:
Hi Dan. What you want to do is upgrade the lower slot with a 256 mb chip. The lower slot will only take the smaller chip and you don't want to spend 1300 bucks for the Crucial one that's made to fit it. Right now I have the 256 chip on the bottom and a 128 on top for a total of 384. This allows for easy expansion to 512 and 768 as your budget allows. I've found 384 to be more than exceptable but I'm still going to get the 512 mb full size chip just because I can!

PeteWK
The Firewire G3 PowerBook can take a 2" chip in both the top and bottom slots.

Back to the original poster's problem, I've heard many bad things about Memory To Go. He probably just got a bad chip. Hopefully they won't send him another DOA chip.

Greg

"PC Load Letter? What the f--- does that mean?"

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2001, 07:58 PM

I'am not really sure about this, but doesn't the Pismo
support only 512 MB as a maximum, so it would be useless
to add a 512 MB module ??

As I said, I am not really sure about this info. You should
check out the specs of your PB at Appl2's website.

GK

Check this link out, it says that you can only use 256 MB modules in the
Pismo.

http://www.info.apple.com/info.apple...ec.taf?RID=390

[This message has been edited by GK (edited 02-20-2001).]

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Feb 21, 2001, 10:47 AM

I've seen that chart. It makes me wonder how anyone would sell a 512MB module listed specifically for a Firewire PB if it only "works" with 256MB dimms or smaller.

If the next 512MB Dimm doesn't work, I'll be getting 2 256s and giving up. Unless someone out there has succeeded in hitting 1GB...
Dan
(not a guarantee)

BMWDrum
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2001, 12:40 PM

Pismos do allow for 1 gig of RAM. A buddy of mine at my old job has a pismo with (2) 512MB sticks, and all works perfect. I only have 384

drum
Some days you're the dog, and some days you're the hydrant.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 21, 2001, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by GK:
I'am not really sure about this, but doesn't the Pismo
support only 512 MB as a maximum, so it would be useless
to add a 512 MB module ??

As I said, I am not really sure about this info. You should
check out the specs of your PB at Appl2's website.

GK

Check this link out, it says that you can only use 256 MB modules in the
Pismo.

http://www.info.apple.com/info.apple...ec.taf?RID=390
That's Apple's "official" specification. Read the developer notes: http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/...erBook-92.html

tooki

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2001, 04:57 PM

I recall from my attempts to upgrade the RAM in my WallStreet PB that there are limitations as to what the motherboard can recognize. Something about the density of the high-MB RAM chips. The WallStreets can only recognize 128 MB in the lower slot but more in the upper. The lower slot is low profile only and this is where the limitation of the motherboard comes into play; low profile RAM. Perhaps the limit for the Pismo is 256 MB lower? I'm about to try a 512 MB module in the upper slot of my WallStreet. I have a guarantee that it will work but I'm skeptical to say the least.

------------------
"There is no spoon."
iDisk: rseijas
Homepage: homepage.mac.com/rseijas

m2
Feb 21, 2001, 06:40 PM

Does anyone know if RAM must be kept in an anti static bag?
I have a module in a regular plastic baggy..will this cause a problem?

Thanks,

M2

tmophoto
Feb 23, 2001, 02:14 AM

Hello, I have a firewire g3 with 1024MB of ram in it, you can put a 512 in both the top and bottom slot 2" chips.

I just ordered the same 512 chip from memorytogo. They upgraded my shipping from ground to next day fed ex for no additional charge, and the ram is 2-2-2 (like my other 512 chip). I have run techtool for about 18 hours testing only the ram, ok so far....

The reason for the 2-256 limit apple imposes is due to the fact when you go higher than that, you cannot switch batteries without shutting down. The internal battery that powers the system cannot handle anything above 512 total.

you should have any computer compenent in an antistatic bag (hard drives, chips, cards, etc...) Shocking will normally not destroy an item (unless it is a big shock) The shock will decrese the life of the component.

thomas

Davidarm
Feb 23, 2001, 04:48 AM

I have 512 + 64 = 576 Megs RAM in my Pismo 400, and it works just fine. I got the 512 module from Trans Intl. Now that I've upgraded my machine will only sleep for about 5 seconds with the main battery out, so sleep swapping is possible but I have to be really quick. I'd guess that with 1 gig RAM it would be impossible.

transparence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2001, 05:42 AM

the maximum RAM is 512mb on the firewire G3 laptop...
won't work... send the RAM back... seriously...

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Feb 23, 2001, 08:23 AM

Funny. transparence says its impossible, but here is one person who's done t and another who's gone above the 512MB limit. I'll wait and see for myself.
Dan
(not a guarantee)

bighead
Senior User
Feb 23, 2001, 01:35 PM

I am buying a Pismo 500 on the 28th (need one now, and PB 3400 to G3 500 is good enough for me) and will be putting 512 MB in along with the 128 from the box. Nothing I have read on sites says this is impossible. The battery note is interesting, though. If this discussion is still going then, I'll give you guys a report!

On a side note, the TiBook can TAKE 1 GB, but nobody makes 1.5" cards in 512 MB capacities to make that happen. Right now, the real limit is 512 MB (256 MB cards in both slots). Some manufacturers are taking emails as a gauge of demand for making these tiny 512 MB cards. Give them a holler!
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

tmophoto
Feb 23, 2001, 01:51 PM

transparence,

have you tried this? How do you know that it wont work?

My powerbook has never been powered up with less than 640 MB, now I have 1024 MB it it, and from what I can tell you (from experience) is that it does work.

I have only been able to switch batteries once (using osX beta) every attempt after that one time, the system completely lost power and had to be booted up agian.

If you are basing you pismo ram expieriences off apple propaganda you are incorrect.

-thomas

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2001, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by tmophoto:

My powerbook has never been powered up with less than 640 MB, now I have 1024 MB it it, and from what I can tell you (from experience) is that it does work.
i just have to ask, WHY do you need that much RAM???

bighead
Senior User
Feb 23, 2001, 02:14 PM

Well, there's the stability issue. Right now, when I try to run Photoshop 5.5 on my PowerBook 3400/180 with anything else running, it's a dog. I realize that a 180 MHz 603 isn't the fastest, but it also has 144 MB RAM, RAM Doubled to 240. I can barely get 5 or so apps running smoothly with all the stuff I have in my system folder.

When I get my Pismo next week, it'll have 640 MB RAM for running apps like Photoshop, Final Cut, and OSX when it comes out. There is no such thing as too much RAM. It will also be nice, since I can make a 450 MB RAM disk, and still have enough to run apps in with two batteries. It definitely helps battery life. I learned to do that one on my ol' Duo 270c. Hehe.

But to answer your question, you will find out what to do with it if: (A. You don't have enough to do what you want to do) or (B. You have it and are finding great new uses for it.)
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Feb 23, 2001, 05:48 PM

No one will ever need more than 640k of RAM - Bill Gates
I, too, will be doing final Cut Pro and Adobe Premier and, of course, OS X!

Remember, you can never have too much RAM, especially at today's prices ($200 for 512MB).

My RAM should be shipped today, I should have it by Wednesday next week. Maybe in a month or two, I will get the second 512MB.
Dan
(not a guarantee)

tmophoto
Feb 24, 2001, 01:39 AM

commotion, after effects, studio artist.....I can use 1GB with any of these programs, by themselves......easy.

if I could put 5 gigs in my pismo I would.

-tmo

xmanxman
Mar 1, 2001, 11:16 AM

Does anyone know if the 512K upgrade will work in the Lombard (Bronze keyboard)? I noticed that it's mentioned for Pismo only.

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2001, 01:21 PM

Not certain, but I don't think the Lombard has the room for the 2" DIMMs like the Pismo.
Dan
(not a guarantee)

mike_cube
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2001, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Dan Szwarc:
I've tried it in both slots and nothing. Now I know what my PB G3 does when I have to RAM in it. (Beep - nothing).

Has anyone successfully upgraded a Firewire G3 to 1GB of RAM?
i upgraded mine when i first got it last year to 1gb and i havnt had any problems with it at all. i got the memory from www.transintl.com

xmanxman
Mar 1, 2001, 03:59 PM

I guess I'll reply to my own question.

Lombard can only access up to 512meg, so it's not really a size issue. You can upgrade to a total of 512megs by putting a 1.5 inch 256meg on the bottom and a 2.0 or 1.5 inch on the top slot.

This link was very helpful
http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...werbookg3.html

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Mar 2, 2001, 08:57 PM

ARRGGHH!!!

OK new RAM came in and this time the Pismo boots but then stops before it loads an extensions. The progress bar is about 1/8th across and just freezes. Mouse still moves, but it never finishes booting. So I figure this ram isn't good either, but now it doesn't boot with the orignal RAM!! Same problem with the progress bar. I've tried the new RAM in both slots (same effect) and now I can't get it working again. It won't boot with extensions off either!

Are there any special resets I can perform (how do I zap the PRAM again?)

ARRGGHH!! This is very frustrating! I've never had so much trouble upgrading simple RAM.
Dan
(not a guarantee)

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Mar 2, 2001, 09:21 PM

UGH! Never mind! I had a firewire drive plugged in but the power to the unit wasn't on!

I now have 640MB of RAM. In a few months, it will be 1GB.

I thank you all for your support. I thank MemorytoGo.com for shipping the second DIMM (the one that worked) for free.

Not bad for $200, huh?

We now return you to the regularly scheduled program...
Dan
(not a guarantee)

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2001, 09:28 PM

Good to hear Dan. I'll probably be upgrading to around 768 myself in a few weeks.

PeteWK

Forum Links
Forum Rules