Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Raid

Raid
djcoolbreeze
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2001, 04:59 AM

I just got a G4 DP 533 with 3 72 GB SCSI Drives.

I want to create a RAID stripe volume (3x72). What are my options? The comuputer came with SoftRaid, but OSX isn't listed as being supported on the companies website.

Can is there a UNIX app I can use?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2001, 05:40 AM

You might want to think about buying a hardware RAID card. Not only will it be a lot faster, but it'll be entirely independent from the software, so you can actually boot any OS from the RAID array itself! I recommend the AHARD RAID 66. With two IBM Desktar 75GXPs and an AHARD card, Rob "Art" Morgan of BareFeats.com was able to get about 50 megs/sec sustained write speed!
http://www.acard.com/ahard_raid_66.htm would be the URL, but the server doesn't seem to be up at the moment. If the link is still down when you read this, you can read a cached copy on google: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...ang_pt|lang_es
I abused my signature until she cried.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2001, 09:40 AM

I have b&w G3 but similar setup (3x18 though!) too much for me!

I left room for normal HFS+ and stripped/mirror the rest. I also use SoftRAID and having a system on mirror is so much more reliable etc. 50MB/s is probably slower than what you are getting now!

Blame Apple for not providing advance access to technology, I'd suggest keeping in touch with SoftRAID LLC and MacGurus web site for updates, help, and information.

No unix app.

SoftRAID comes with pdf manual and there is more info under Help to walk you through. Start with a small bootable system volume mirrored on two volumes, if you want VM spread it across all three on the first volume. Leave room for OS X on one volume (4-20GB?) and leave the rest for stripped raid.

One of the best investments was SoftRAID and my SCSI setup. Buying the highest quality cable and active terminator boosted performance noticeably by 10-20% and helped even out the peak and sustained to a flat line as well.

Gregory

Forum Links
Forum Rules