Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther calling home?

Panther calling home?
MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 11:17 AM

I've installed the preview version of Panther today, and pluged it in my office at work. Next thing I know, network admin came over and showed me the net trafic chart. It seems that my machine was utilizing 40MB of bandwidth for about 10 minutes ...
So what was it doing I wonder now. I hope it's not one of those M$ things where it sends all your data back to Apple.
Did someone else notice this or is it only me?

benb
Jun 27, 2003, 11:21 AM

In the software update pane, do you have "Download updates in the background" checked?

And why are you installing pre-release software on a work machine?! You are lucky the admin didn't shoot you...

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by MrNo:

So what was it doing I wonder now. I hope it's not one of those M$ things where it sends all your data back to Apple.
You really think it would take 40 megs of space to send your IP and hardware address to apple?

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
You really think it would take 40 megs of space to send your IP and hardware address to apple?
maybe his IP address is really long.

-r.

MrNo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 11:42 AM

I am not sure what was it sending out, and I know that it wouldn't take so much bandwidth and do it for so long only for an IP address and that's what bothers me. Maybe it's some network problem in the preview or maybe it is something a lot worse.
When I saw the graph I couldn't believe it because all I did is plug it in, and this was outbound traffic, not inbound. Automatic software update is also unchecked. It's a fresh install with nothing on it ...
weird

benb
Jun 27, 2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
maybe his IP address is really long.

-r.
IPv6 is in Panther...

BGK
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2003, 12:04 PM

perhaps it was iDisk.
I want the ability to sleep in the snow, if I have to. I want the ability to want to.

MrNo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 12:29 PM

I don't think so since I don't have a .Mac account

Originally posted by BGK:
perhaps it was iDisk.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by BGK:
perhaps it was iDisk.
I was going to suggest the same thing. In Panther, your iDisk now resides on your local HD, and is mirrored to your remote iDisk in the background.

JeremyS
Senior User
Jun 27, 2003, 01:36 PM

you know what, it was probably the iPod 2.01 update as shortly after I installed Panther it downloaded that update in the background.

Mojo-ike
Jun 27, 2003, 01:55 PM

did you do any network browsing? ie, mounting of drives from other machines? i also got someone crabby at me because my machine was probing everyone. from what he printed out for me, puma was relentless in discovering shared drives.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by JeremyS:
you know what, it was probably the iPod 2.01 update as shortly after I installed Panther it downloaded that update in the background.
He said that it was outbound traffic, not inbound, so I don't think so.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by MrNo:
I've installed the preview version of Panther today, and pluged it in my office at work. Next thing I know, network admin came over and showed me the net trafic chart. It seems that my machine was utilizing 40MB of bandwidth for about 10 minutes ...
I think that's just you...

I'm running Panther, and I just spent a few minutes watching both the Activity Monitor's network monitor and my router's traffic monitor... no unusual traffic on either.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

MrNo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 04:04 PM

that's good to know, I was afraid that it might be something else. I wouldn't like it if apple followed MS example and started gathering users data.
However monday I will check the router logs and see which port was being utilized. Maybe that will explain what was going on

Originally posted by juanpacolopez:
I think that's just you...

I'm running Panther, and I just spent a few minutes watching both the Activity Monitor's network monitor and my router's traffic monitor... no unusual traffic on either.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2003, 06:06 PM

If you have the copy legitimately, you can call up Apple and ask.

Forum Links
Forum Rules